PDA

View Full Version : Modem or network problem?

jem16
29-08-2004, 16:10
I've been having a problem with all aspects of the service today. Web pages very slow to load, often not at all. This is the same for email and newsgroups. My son just spoke to his friend who lives half a mile away - he's not having any problems.

I the decided to reboot the cable modem. Everything was fine for a couple of minutes then the problem returned. Rebooted again - connection returns and then is lost again within a minute or so.

I also have a router but it seems fine as I can connect to each PC in the network.

Has my modem given up - it's a Motorola 3100? Or is there a network problem? Also can anyone give me the telephone number to call if it is a modem problem?

paulyoung666
29-08-2004, 16:30
it would be helpful to know where you are ;) :D :D

jem16
29-08-2004, 16:35
it would be helpful to know where you are ;) :D :D

Yes it probably would :dozey:

I'm in Glasgow - Renfrew UBR.

paulyoung666
29-08-2004, 17:04
have you tried this (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/) speedtest to see if anything obvious shows up ??????? :)

jem16
29-08-2004, 17:28
have you tried this (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/) speedtest to see if anything obvious shows up ??????? :)

Yes I have.

Shows anything from 50% to 100% packet loss.

At the moment I'm getting a connection which I also had half an hour ago. Then I lost it again within minutes - we'll see how long it stays.

paulyoung666
29-08-2004, 17:33
not sure if it will help , but have you tried specifying a proxy ??????????

jem16
29-08-2004, 17:47
not sure if it will help , but have you tried specifying a proxy ??????????

Yep - makes no difference whatsoever. Now on dial up connection as I can't get anything with my cable modem.

paulyoung666
29-08-2004, 17:53
looks as though it is a local issue then , do you know anyone else in your street who you could ask if they are having problems ????????? , or how about a bit of docs diag (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/) to see if that shows anything up :)

Chris W
29-08-2004, 18:41
The phone number you need for tech support is 0845 650 0121, however, due to systems upgrades they will not be able to access any diagnostics until Wednesday after midday.

jem16
29-08-2004, 19:03
Thanks for the phone number.

I asked my next door neighbour and his connection is fine. I decided to connect the modem directly to my PC, rebooted - got a connection fine for a few miniutes. Then changed back over, rebooted - all seems fine at the moment.

We'll see what happens.

jem16
29-08-2004, 20:23
My connection stayed for about 17 minutes this time and then I lost it.

I tried the modem directly connected to the PC again and waited to see what would happen. After a few minutes I lost the connection - seems to rule out a router problem.

It seems the problem is either in my cable or the cable modem itself. Should i just report a fault and get an engineer out? Don't really want to hang about till midday Wednesday for tech support when I'm fairly sure it's the modem or cable.

paulyoung666
29-08-2004, 20:27
have you had a play about with docs diag , if you can then it would show up a signal level problem , if it does then you have some ammo for ntl when you ring them ;)

jem16
29-08-2004, 20:48
have you had a play about with docs diag , if you can then it would show up a signal level problem , if it does then you have some ammo for ntl when you ring them ;)

Haven't tried it yet. I did do a line test and this is what it shows.
http://www.broadbandreports.com/quality/nil/1494201

Chris W
30-08-2004, 00:29
You will not be able to get an engineer booked until Wednesday anyway, because the harmony upgrrades mean that no engineer requests can be processed. It is irrelevant whether it is the modem, or the cabling to your house, as either will require an engineer reqest. If you next door neighbour's connection is fine, then it doesn't sound like a wider network issue, but an individual problem- hence engineer visit will be needed.

jem16
30-08-2004, 16:57
You will not be able to get an engineer booked until Wednesday anyway, because the harmony upgrrades mean that no engineer requests can be processed. It is irrelevant whether it is the modem, or the cabling to your house, as either will require an engineer reqest. If you next door neighbour's connection is fine, then it doesn't sound like a wider network issue, but an individual problem- hence engineer visit will be needed.

Thanks - I found that out today when I phoned.

My connection wasn't working at 8am. My son tells me that it was working at 12noon when he got up and was working fine until 4.10pm when I came home - must be me! Started working again five minutes ago. I really can't see it being the modem unless it's a very strange fault.

Here's my latest line test. Any ideas anyone?
http://www.broadbandreports.com/quality/nil/1494989

paulyoung666
30-08-2004, 17:02
engineer time then i reckon , have you had a play with docs diag yet , that might show something up , if it does then you will have some ammo if you get a dodgy engineer :erm: :D

jem16
30-08-2004, 17:23
engineer time then i reckon , have you had a play with docs diag yet , that might show something up , if it does then you will have some ammo if you get a dodgy engineer :erm: :D

Yes I've had a play with it. However the info given I can already get from my modem's diagnostic web page - it's a Motorola Surfboard 3100. Thanks for pointing it out anyway.

Connection has now been working fine for an hour.

paulyoung666
30-08-2004, 17:24
Yes I've had a play with it. However the info given I can already get from my modem's diagnostic web page - it's a Motorola Surfboard 3100. Thanks for pointing it out anyway.

Connection has now been working fine for an hour.

well why didnt you say :rolleyes: :p: :p: :p:

jem16
31-08-2004, 17:40
Well apart from one little glitch of about 15 minutes, my connection has been fine for over 30 hours - it's even been flying along!

So I think it's safe to say that it was neither my modem nor router to blame, or even the PC for that matter. Either it miraculously fixed itself or my telephone call to technical support ( to whom I gave my IP address ) helped to fix it.