PDA

View Full Version : Nortons Internet Security 2004

peacedude2k4
27-08-2004, 18:25
Now I am curious the amount of people who have said me using nortons 2004 internet security standard is stupid, i need plenty of views here before as nortons aint let me down, i have never had a bad installation as I make sure all previous versions registry keys are removed etc.

Now I agree it does run alot of tasks and ccApp does tend to crash on shutdown and even sometimes during liveupdate which is annoying.

Although I will add again in its favor that I use worldsbiggestchat ( chat.lycos.co.uk ) alot and nortons pop up blocker prevents alot of crap on that site showing up but it is a good chat site so i use it alot.

But again I am just not sure if its all good with nortons I dont get many virus issues thank goddess, and i never let nortons try to remove them prefer to do it myself.

So going along that I mainly use net for downloading/uploading family dvd's chatting this forum msn and playing Halo CE online is Nortons good enough or should I be looking elsewhere.

Jon M
27-08-2004, 19:15
First of all, ignore anyone that says you're stupid for being concerned about security.
Norton is as good as any other as far as the average user is concerned.
As long as you keep up to date with your anti-virus then you're doing nothing wrong mate :) :tu:
Norton software (particularly norton utilities) in the past, has had bad stability problems, but that has changed in the last year or so.

If you can do so, I would re-install your operating system if you continue getting lockups or software errors.

peacedude2k4
27-08-2004, 19:38
I have some issues with ccApp.exe, but my main issue is liveupdate which wont Autoupdate which is a pest. But i run liveupdate manually from sys tray every few hours amazing how much i get :confused:

Shaun
27-08-2004, 21:23
I've got NIS 2003 and I never get any trouble from it. Power-chute personal now thats another matter!

abailey152
28-08-2004, 13:38
I'm running NIS 2004 Pro, and apart from the antivirus showing "Tampered" a couple of times (which were fixed using the method shown in the Symantec Knowledgebase), I've had no problems.

I'm also impressed by the way it came up after installing SP2, and asked if I wish to allow the Norton firewall to continue, and disable the new Windows Firewall. Everything has integrated well, and this means I've kept my firewall settings and not had to go through the process of opening ports for various apps.

The system is slower with Norton Antivirus, and this is my only real gripe. So far, it has stopped everything, but it would be nice if it wasn't quite a resource hungry. McAfee antivirus seems a little better in this respect.