PDA

View Full Version : Connection Keeps Dropping

Soong
24-08-2004, 01:04
Hi,

Every day or two I need to restart my STB because my BB connection keeps dropping. This gets very frustrating.

There is no apaprent reason for it and NTL say just restart the STB...

If I call and complain do you think they will sort me out with a cable modem to use instead of the STB? I know a few others with the CM and they have no problems at all.

Anyone managed to get a CM out of them to avoid having to use the STB?

Marge
24-08-2004, 01:21
Which area do you live in??

Certainly in the NW there's no problem switching over to CM

Kneebs
24-08-2004, 01:22
I've been having problems with the broadband since having the pace swapped for a samsung, ready for the 1meg > 1.5 meg upgrade, main problem is packet loss, but occasionaly I'd need to reset the STB, as the connection would drop. I went through to faults who arranged for an engineer who swapped the box on saturday, but the problem persists. I'm having a SACM fitted next wednesday :)

Soong
24-08-2004, 08:05
Brighton.

Looks like I'll be giving them a call today.

Siuko
24-08-2004, 09:08
I'd also been having this issue with my new samsung STB... after 18 months of no issues at all with the pace box.

Initially I thought it may be a problem with the samsungs themselves as many had posted issues with them too.

When my samsung was installed I asked the engineer if the samsung would be ok to place back above my dvdplayer in my cabinet as I had with the pace stb. He said that the samsungs ran cooler and there would be no problem with this.

I have found that they are cooler than the pace boxes but from what I can tell crash more often at lower temperatures. :Yikes:

I know this becuase I would get 3-4 crashes a day where my internet would stop working but my tv would still be on.

Since moving the stb out of the cabinet it runs much cooler and hasnt crashed once in about 4 days. So its either heat cuasing the issue or by some very strange coincedence ntl fixing it at the same time I took it out of my cabinet.

Well its something to try anyways.... :rolleyes:

Soong
24-08-2004, 13:23
Thanks for that, Siuko. My STB is on top of my video and under my DVD player so perhaps it is getting rather hot there.

I'll see what happens if I move it somewhere cooler.