PDA

View Full Version : internet browsing. wireless broadband

micklongy
22-08-2004, 14:04
Hi all
I'm a new user to this forum (just registered).
Can anyone help please.
I have made an attempt to set up a home network, main PC downstairs(using wireless router) and my laptop upstairs using PCI card.
The router and PCI card set up instuctions were pretty vague, or maybe Iv'e set them up wrong,I'm showing a strong signal strength though.

1) I can access and browse NTL broadband internet on my PC downstairs O.K :)
And I can after clicking internet explorer on laptop open ntl home page, but the laptop keeps deferring to ntl home page,and not letting me browse the net even after typing a specific web address in,it stills defers/shows ntl home page.:confused:

Can anyone please help??

nffc
22-08-2004, 14:08
Have you tried pinging the router and the modem from both client PCs? Although I don't really understand what the exact problem is.

micklongy
22-08-2004, 14:23
nffc
Sorry mate but i don't know what ya mean by pinging? (relative nunce on computers).
Can you tell me how in detail.
Also the problem I'm having is not being able to browse the internet on my laptop.It keeps defering to ntl homepage no matter what web address i type in.

nffc
22-08-2004, 15:00
Pinging- open a command prompt and type "ping <ip address>"

Normally your router will have IP 192.168.2.1 and your CM will have address 192.168.100.1- try pinging both of these addresses.

Is it the standard www.ntlworld.com homepage- or is it www.outbreak.ntli.net?

Otherwise have you virus / ad-ware checked the machines, and are you still running firewalls (inc. XP's own) on any PC- as iirc your router will have one already.