PDA

View Full Version : virus or not

hairy_mick
20-08-2004, 20:58
customer has just got broadband has win xp zone alarm installed but cant send email to family on hot mail emails being returned form ntl postmaster as undeliverable been kicked back from email server the email has attachments which were not sent it was just plain text advice please. Trojan scanner ran and finds nothing also avast installed and finds nothing whats the problem any help would be appreciated

paulyoung666
20-08-2004, 21:05
for pitys sake slow down :erm: :D :D , can the person send mail to another ntl address ?????????? or not , is it just hotmail addresses that are the problem ???????? :)

Scrubbs
20-08-2004, 21:22
I use this http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp online scanner as well as my resident one. Occasionally it has in the past picked up an odd virus/trojan (It does download a file to your computer to run)

It might be worth a try?

hairy_mick
20-08-2004, 21:22
hi paulyoung666 dont know till tommorow i sent a test mail to my email at work the only email that has been sent is to family in other part of world dont know where but is it possiable that the server has spotted the attachment on the e-mail and just wont let it through as i said no attachment was sent just a plain text message.

Scrubbs
20-08-2004, 21:59
The next question would be......
How recent is the virus/trojan checkers
'cos this defo smells of trojan

hairy_mick
20-08-2004, 22:02
just downloaded them today scrubbs

hairy_mick
20-08-2004, 22:07
is it possiable that the ntl postmaster is not cosha has it been spoofed and the attachment added. there are two files ones an exe the other a dat file.

Scrubbs
20-08-2004, 22:13
The .dat file (295b) I think comes from the postmaster the other attachment is usually the text file that was originally sent?
but I am not 100 percent 'cos I have just had one returned to me but for a different reason

ps bacardis kicking in, so speak slooowly:D

hairy_mick
20-08-2004, 22:22
well scrubbs i will have to wait till tommorow and see if i have recived the email i sent. Cheers folks.