PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection problem.

Gaz22
19-08-2004, 06:55
I've been having this internet connection problem recently. My connection goes on and off. One minute
my internet is on, but the next minute (without any changes on my cable modem's lights) I can't connect.
Suddenly a message from Norton (my firewall) would pop up a few times and my connection is back on again.
Then a few minutes later its off again. My ip also changes. Also, sometimes my cable modem would also restart itself.
Anyone know what the problem could be? Is it the modem's fault or Ntl's. I've checked for spyware/viruses on my computer
and couldn't find anything.

I'm in the Belfast area if it helps.

bopdude
19-08-2004, 07:02
:welcome: To the site, can't help with your prob myself but stick around, the people in the know will be stirring into life just now. One of / a few of them should have you sorted out befor long.

Sorry I was of no help, just stopped off to say welcome :tu:

Gaz22
19-08-2004, 07:04
:welcome: To the site, can't help with your prob myself but stick around, the people in the know will be stirring into life just now. One of / a few of them should have you sorted out befor long.

Sorry I was of no help, just stopped off to say welcome :tu:
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I've only just found this place and am hoping to stick around.

Gaz22
19-08-2004, 07:28
Another point is: I checked out this thread http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10172 and it says something about "getting a 169 ip address on winXP" and the poster has supplied a link to a site. I think I have this problem, but the site provided is all mumbo-jumbo to me. Could someone explain this problem?

Thanks. :)

Tricky
19-08-2004, 08:38
The 169.x addresses is a default address when your client is set to use DHCP but cannot retrieve a DHCP address from the server (be it a router, cable modem or whatever).

If your modem is restarting and you're getting a new address each time this is strange and I would be calling customer services for someone to check the line etc.

If the modem was just dropping power (not getting new addy) then it may have been a power issue, but the new Addy would indicate it's something further down the line.

Good Luck!

Gaz22
19-08-2004, 18:12
The 169.x addresses is a default address when your client is set to use DHCP but cannot retrieve a DHCP address from the server (be it a router, cable modem or whatever).

If your modem is restarting and you're getting a new address each time this is strange and I would be calling customer services for someone to check the line etc.

If the modem was just dropping power (not getting new addy) then it may have been a power issue, but the new Addy would indicate it's something further down the line.

Good Luck!
When I called Ntl they said that everything looked okay down their end and that it must be something wrong with my computer. But I reformatted, then run adaware and Spybot etc.

Neil
19-08-2004, 18:15
When I called Ntl they said that everything looked okay down their end and that it must be something wrong with my computer.

How unusual. :rolleyes:

Russ
19-08-2004, 18:27
When I called Ntl they said that everything looked okay down their end and that it must be something wrong with my computer.

Wow, they're still using that line in ntl? It's been 18 months since I worked there and it was going strong back then too.

Gaz22
19-08-2004, 18:43
Its a strange problem. Sometimes (like now) my internet stays on for a pretty long time without any problems, then just when I think the problem is gone my internet goes off again.

This leads me to believe that it may be something to do with Ntl themselves, but if it was I wouldn't be getting the 169 ip...would I?

jingleman
19-08-2004, 21:02
For the past few days, I've had connection problems. Connection is lost to modem, when 'allegedly' back up get DNS errors on e-mail and 404 on web pages - After a few minutes all OK again.

Happened twice today :(

Gaz22
19-08-2004, 22:03
Does anyone know if Ntl have ungoing work in the Belfast area?

Tezcatlipoca
20-08-2004, 01:05
Well, there's nothing on the Service Status page (but that's no guarantee of anything :rolleyes: )

Maybe a firewall issue? If you're getting a 169 IP, it's because you're having problems renewing the IP lease from the DHCP server (as Tricky said). Could it be something in Norton's configuration blocking it? Maybe try turning Norton off & seeing if it still happens? Or add the DHCP server's IP to the equivalent of Norton's trusted zone?

But if the modem restarts, then I can't see that being due to Norton...

Hopefully one of the ntl techs here will see your thread & be able to help :)

Also, to set XP to keep the last IP address in the event of a DHCP renewal failure (instead of going to a 169 IP), have a read of this: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=228806#post228806

Gaz22
20-08-2004, 08:47
I'm using USB (I know, I know) if anyone is wondering. I'm planning on getting an ethernet card in the near future though. Does this sound like a problem that could be fixed by changing?

Gaz22
20-08-2004, 21:55
I've heard people talk about using network cards instead of USB. Is this the network card they are talking about?: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0023629339.109303537 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcmgdefldkcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=777117&category_oid=-9976&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

Chris W
20-08-2004, 22:04
I've heard people talk about using network cards instead of USB. Is this the network card they are talking about?: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0023629339.109303537 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadcmgdefldkcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=777117&category_oid=-9976&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null

that is the one :) and this is the cheaper version ;)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=42061

MB

Gaz22
20-08-2004, 23:47
that is the one :) and this is the cheaper version ;)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=42061

MB
Does my problem sound like it could be fixed by changing?

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 01:39
I just noticed that just before my CM resets itself the USB light goes off first then the rest (so basically the USB light starts the reset). Does this mean that there is something wrong with my USB connection?

Chris W
21-08-2004, 02:52
Does my problem sound like it could be fixed by changing?

I doubt that it will fix the problem, but it is certainly a better connection to be using.

If the cable modem is rebooting, it sounds like the modem is having problems. It is strange that you are getting a new ip address each time, could you send me the mac address of your modem (found on the sticker on the bottom of it) and will be able to take a look at this on monday and try to find out what is happening.

MB

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 03:39
I doubt that it will fix the problem, but it is certainly a better connection to be using.

If the cable modem is rebooting, it sounds like the modem is having problems. It is strange that you are getting a new ip address each time, could you send me the mac address of your modem (found on the sticker on the bottom of it) and will be able to take a look at this on monday and try to find out what is happening.

MB

The reason why I think it may be the USB connection is because the USB light goes off first, then the other lights take awhile to follow. For example; the USB light would go off and all the other lights stay on, then the CM would reset. So basically the only light that goes off is the USB one, then my CM resets.

I'm hopefully getting a network card tomorrow, then I'll keep you updated.

Gaz22
22-08-2004, 05:30
Well I tried the CM on its own (without USB or Ethernet) and it STILL resets itself. So it MUST be my CM, right?

Gaz22
24-08-2004, 13:21
Well I've changed to ethernet...but my problem still occurs (though my modem doesn't reset as much). I still keep getting the "finding site: (HOMEPAGE)" error.

Is there any tests I can run to find out what exactly the problem is?

Gaz22
30-08-2004, 14:28
This problem is REALLY annoying me now. :mad:

And it has to stay like this until Wednesday. And even then, they still try to pawn it off as a problem with my computer. :mad: