PDA

View Full Version : Something to share with you

Escapee
18-08-2004, 20:45
Hi, anyone want what I got for free?

Cat Fleas :Yikes:

My cat/house appears to have a severe infestation, I was planning to dig up some of my living room floor in a few weeks time for the central heating gas pipe. last night I was prompted to take up the living room and dining room carpets and throw them out.

I have spent 2 weeks treating the cat and the carpets, it seems to be getting worse. These little blighters seem to find me more edible than the cat, I saw a link that says the female cat flea can lay 25000 eggs a month.
Appartently 5% of the fleas are on the cat and the other 95% are in the carpet. :disturbd:

I have been spraying the settee and carpets, I have also put powder down and hoovered it 4 times. I have been hoovering every day and I can assure you thats unusual for me!
It really makes me feel dirty, I have been scratching in work for the past few days and I dare not tell anyone. I jumped straight out of the shower this morning, into my clothes that were hung up, and straight out the door before any had a chance to attach themselves. I came home tonight and put on an old pair of white socks and some shorts, within 5 mins I had about half a dozen on my socks.

Petworld was sold out of flea powder and spray when I went their last night to stock up, they said there has been a rush on the stuff.

PS: The cat is banned from the bedroom now. :mad:

paulyoung666
18-08-2004, 21:00
i reckon you will just have to work at it , or , get the house fumigated , mind you i reckon that would be expensive and you would have to move out for a few days or die with the fleas :disturbd:

Ramrod
18-08-2004, 21:05
Steam clean everything?
or phone these guys: http://www.colemanfm.com/services%20-%20pest%20control.htm

edit--just phoned my pest control man (he's very good) and put your problem to him. He said that if you've got a bad infestation (ie not confined to 1 or 2 rooms) then it's best to get pest control in to sort it out. Cost will be about £60 for a 2-3 bed semi and you will need to leave the house 'until it's dry' :disturbd: about 4 hrs....of course you need to get the cat properly deflead as well.
edit-edit--If you live near South East London I'll let you have his number.

Escapee
18-08-2004, 21:26
Steam clean everything?
or phone these guys: http://www.colemanfm.com/services%20-%20pest%20control.htm

edit--just phoned my pest control man (he's very good) and put your problem to him. He said that if you've got a bad infestation (ie not confined to 1 or 2 rooms) then it's best to get pest control in to sort it out. Cost will be about £60 for a 2-3 bed semi and you will need to leave the house 'until it's dry' :disturbd: about 4 hrs....of course you need to get the cat properly deflead as well.
edit-edit--If you live near South East London I'll let you have his number.

Live in Wales, I think ditching the carpet along with fumigating the cat should solve the problem. I have just thrown out the carpet tiles from the hall and rug from my computer/electronic workshop room, just lino in here now. perhaps I will throw the bedroom carpet next. :Yikes:

I will be replacing them all anyway, so I am not worried about it. I am replacing them with laminated flooring in the living/dining room and tiles in the kitchen/hall.

You are all invited round for a coffee, what time shall I expect you?

:D :D

paulyoung666
18-08-2004, 21:29
Live in Wales, I think ditching the carpet along with fumigating the cat should solve the problem. I have just thrown out the carpet tiles from the hall and rug from my computer/electronic workshop room, just lino in here now. perhaps I will throw the bedroom carpet next. :Yikes:

I will be replacing them all anyway, so I am not worried about it. I am replacing them with laminated flooring in the living/dining room and tiles in the kitchen/hall.

You are all invited round for a coffee, what time shall I expect you?

:D :D

i dont mind fleas if there is beer on the go , i aint going nowhere near for coffee though :disturbd: :D :D :D :D

Escapee
18-08-2004, 21:38
i dont mind fleas if there is beer on the go , i aint going nowhere near for coffee though :disturbd: :D :D :D :D

Perhaps you are one of those people they leave alone.

We had a flea infestation about 12 years ago, not as bad as this though. My grandfather lived here then and he would sit on the settee with the 2 cats on his lap drinking his tea, whilst I would be hopping around the room.

They dont like that dry old skin and thin blood!

not that I mean anything by that paul :D

Wolf
18-08-2004, 21:39
frontline is the cure....we have an irish wolfhound, a mongrel and a white persian. Frontline kills all fleas plus is also for use in treating carpets, pet beds etc. Will cost you though. Don't use store bought stuff because they don't work.

gary_580
18-08-2004, 21:40
send the Cats to the Vets and give them a Program injection. It lasts for 6 months and kills fleas that are feeding on them.

Tricky
18-08-2004, 21:45
It was either Pets at home or a similar store, that sold "Flea Bombs" basically you remove all living things from the house (plants, animals, people especially kids) light the thing and stay away for a few hours.

Then open some windows and wait a little longer - makes the house smell like s.... though for about a week!

Escapee
18-08-2004, 21:52
send the Cats to the Vets and give them a Program injection. It lasts for 6 months and kills fleas that are feeding on them.

Vet is a bit of a problem as he is old and wild. He turned up here just over 2 years ago looking like he was on his last legs, he is OK with me but not very friendly in general.

He came home on a Sunday morning a few months ago with 75% of his tail missing, no fur or flesh just cartlidge. :Yikes: I had to take him to the vets and it was not a pleasant experience, he went wild. When I went to pick him up they were not amused about him, they failed to get him out of their cage and into mine cos he was hissing, spitting, scratching and biting so much. They were a bit suprised when I just spoke to him put my hand in and pulled him out!

I remember with our last cat, the vet wouldnt give us frontline unless we took him along. We had to find another vet because that one wanted to put him to sleep because he had FIV, he lived another 5 years or so quite happy not suffering and just died peacefully in his sleep without any warning.

I am not even thinking about taking this wild animal to the vets. :D

PS: Tricky, Yes I have bought one of those flea bombs and will give it a go on the weekend :tu:

Scrubbs
18-08-2004, 21:56
PS: Tricky, Yes I have bought one of those flea bombs and will give it a go on the weekend :tu:
I guess the coffees are off then:D

Escapee
19-08-2004, 08:00
I guess the coffees are off then:D

Things appeared better this morning, I guess throwing out the carpets has made a big difference. It will be the bedroom carpet this weekend just to be sure!

I guess spending the winter without putting the heating on should just about finish them all off. :disturbd:

etccarmageddon
19-08-2004, 08:17
DONT throw out any more carpets etc - what you're doing is futile - you need to break the cycle - the fleas only become active when they detect the cat (the carbon dioxide causes them to hatch) and as long as the cat has been treated with a good product then they will instantly die on contact.

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/r2d2/detail.asp?CatID=0&ParentID=2&Q=revolution

Get the above product NOT frontline - this stuff is miles better and also protects against ear mites which can make a cat go deaf. The above product is only available from a VET here and is cheaper on the net. So I suggest you order online if you have VET problems.

Also go to a pets store and get the best household flea stray they have - this spray will kill any existing fleas on contact and make any eggs inpossible to hatch. This leaves you then with your cats able to wander in and bring in new fleas which which will lay eggs - so you then treat the cat and that's it - the cycle is broken.

Remember - they can only cause problems if they have an untreated cat in the house - otherwise they can not live.

etccarmageddon
19-08-2004, 08:23
http://www.cat-box.net/cats/fleas.html

I've tried flea collars and flea combs and they didnt work for me - I've tried a lot of things and the best quickest and 100% effective solution is treating the cat and then spraying the house.

Maggy
19-08-2004, 09:00
When we had our cats and had a very severe outbreak I was told to go to the pharmacy for help.They sold me summat in a big yellow and black aerosol that I can't remember the name off with lots of warnings about it's use.I had to fumigate the affected rooms including mattresses and carpets.I had to wash ALL the bedding as well.I also got summat from the vet for the cat and treated BOTH at the same time.

It did the trick.There after the cats were banned from bedrooms entirely and were combed every other day with a good old fashioned flea comb and teated once a month with summat from the vet.Never had another severe outbreak.

But then lice struck the kids :Yikes: but that's another whole ball game.

Frankly if you have kids and pets you are always dealing with some infection,infestation of some sort.

It became a very soothing affair combing one of the cats every evening while watching TV.Very relaxing. :)

Incog. :)

SMHarman
19-08-2004, 09:45

My cat/house appears to have a severe infestation, I was planning to dig up some of my living room floor in a few weeks time for the central heating gas pipe. last night I was prompted to take up the living room and dining room carpets and throw them out.

<snip>
Treat your cat with this monthly.

http://frontline.us.merial.com/

It is the best, it is the stuff they use for treatment as part of the PETS passport programme, kills all known nasties dead.

And here is why they have just exploded around your house
http://frontline.us.merial.com/flea_tick/flea_cycle.asp
Although fleas can be a problem for your pets all year, flea populations typically explode about 5 or 6 weeks after the weather starts to warm up.

orangebird
19-08-2004, 10:08
f you're still itching a little Escapee, take a Piriton or Clarityn.. :)

SMHarman
19-08-2004, 10:47
f you're still itching a little Escapee, take a Piriton or Clarityn.. :)
If you take piriton, don't plan to do much for the rest of the day, best sleeping pill I have ever used.

Graham
19-08-2004, 11:11
I've tried flea collars and flea combs and they didnt work for me

Perhaps you should have tried them on the cat...?! :D :angel:

etccarmageddon
19-08-2004, 11:28
Perhaps you should have tried them on the cat...?! :D :angel:

reputation point deducted accordingly!

Marge
19-08-2004, 11:46
I had this problem with the cats several years ago, it was actually quite mild but still a problem. I rang the council as suggested by the mother in law, they came round, sprayed their stuff and it was all done free of charge :tu:

orangebird
19-08-2004, 12:51
If you take piriton, don't plan to do much for the rest of the day, best sleeping pill I have ever used.

Good point. Zirtec don't seem to have a drowsy effect....but as always - 'READ THE LABEL. IF YOU'RE UNSURE, CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR....'

SMHarman
19-08-2004, 13:11
Good point. Zirtec don't seem to have a drowsy effect....but as always - 'READ THE LABEL. IF YOU'RE UNSURE, CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR....'
Before I get moaned at again for peddling drugs, listen to OB she has a point, however most of the drugs mentioned can be bought over the counter from the pharmacist who has had many many years training and should be able to give good advice in the use of and side effects of these drugs.
Also I would like to clarify that I was taking Piriton (well generic chlorpheniramine actually as it is way cheaper) for hay fever, the major side effect is drowsyness, to the point that the label says "Do Not Drive".

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/p/piriton/piriton_tablets.htm

For those hay fever sufferers I am now using a drug called Telfast 180
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/showpreparation.asp?id=2542
Fantastic, but prescription only, though anyone who needs more than a weeks supply of hay fever drugs knows to go to their doctor as they can prescribe a seasons worth in one hit and you only pay the £6.10 prescription charge, not the £5 a box that Boots want.

Escapee
19-08-2004, 13:13
I'm accused of being dopey enough as it is

Florence
19-08-2004, 19:04

<snip>

Sorry to hear about your problem. I would recommend you purchase a vaporetta steam cleaner and use it weekly as you clean the house steam carpets furniture and beds. This steam cleaner kills fleas also reduces dust mites.

would recomend them to anyone even has a good steam iron. (http://search.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_polti_vaporetto_leader.html)

Lew
19-08-2004, 19:43
Just reading this thread has made me itch :rofl: