PDA

View Full Version : Is my TV broked or what?

Nugget
18-08-2004, 15:46
I bought a telly from Asda a couple of years ago. When I got home last night, I switched it on, and the picture was what I can only describe as too big for the screen. No matter how much faffing about I did with the screen size on both the telly and Sky box, I couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t get the picture to re-size to the correct format.

Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m taking it back to Asda this evening (good old 3 year guarantee :tu: ) who have confirmed I can either exchange it or have my money back, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what could have caused it.

Scrubbs
18-08-2004, 16:14
have you tried playing a video or a dvd?

Nugget
18-08-2004, 16:28
Hi Scrubbs,

Yeah, I tried a DVD and it was just the same (although, to be fair, I didn't try a video) :)

Ramrod
18-08-2004, 16:30
Was the pic distorted in any way?

Nugget
18-08-2004, 16:33
There was no distortion as such - just what you'd expect when it's too big. Basically, other than the size, the issue was that the picture was curving, but I put that down to the fact that the TV was effectivley in Cinema screen mode all the time.

Scrubbs
18-08-2004, 16:36
I think its cream crackered sounds like the focus control has gone

homealone
18-08-2004, 16:54
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m taking it back to Asda this evening (good old 3 year guarantee ) who have confirmed I can either exchange it or have my money back.

sounds like that is your best bet, my tall friend - you'll be able to pick up some Banks' at the same time :)

Nugget
18-08-2004, 16:56
sounds like that is your best bet, my tall friend - you'll be able to pick up some Banks' at the same time :)

Hey good point - new TV and alcohol to make it really easy to hook up :tu:

Ramrod
18-08-2004, 17:03
sounds like the focus control has goneyep

Flubflow
18-08-2004, 17:33
Was this TV a Bush or a Pacific brand by any chance?
If it is then do your very best to get a different replacement brand that is not owned by Bush. I think Asda have some Samsung TVs (not brilliant but 100000% better than the crappy reliability and pathetic technical backup from Bush/Pacific).
Your problem sounds almost identical to one a friend of mine had. The Bush TV was at the repairers for nearly 4 months whilst they tried and failed umpteen times to get correct schematics & parts etc. In the end the apologetic manager at Asda offered a replacement of their choice.
You often see customers waiting at the Customer Services counter in ASDA usually with Bush, Alba, Pacific branded electrical goods waiting for their replacement/refund.

Nugget
19-08-2004, 08:37
Was this TV a Bush or a Pacific brand by any chance?
If it is then do your very best to get a different replacement brand that is not owned by Bush. I think Asda have some Samsung TVs (not brilliant but 100000% better than the crappy reliability and pathetic technical backup from Bush/Pacific).
Your problem sounds almost identical to one a friend of mine had. The Bush TV was at the repairers for nearly 4 months whilst they tried and failed umpteen times to get correct schematics & parts etc. In the end the apologetic manager at Asda offered a replacement of their choice.
You often see customers waiting at the Customer Services counter in ASDA usually with Bush, Alba, Pacific branded electrical goods waiting for their replacement/refund.

Ooooh spooky - it was a Bush telly! I went and exchanged it last night for a 28" Widescreen Sanyo so, fingers crossed, I'll have no more problems.

The Asda in Grimsby only had a choice of Sanyo and Pacific (some of the other stuff was out of stock), but I wouldn't get Pacific anyway - I know it's snobby but I just think they're a bit 'cheap'

zoombini
19-08-2004, 10:56
Oh no, not the 28" wide screen one from Asda!

I took mine back the same day I got it, it was crap!
try feeding something like an Xbox etc through the SCART sockets, the picture was all wavy.

The first one I got blew up & went back after 11 months.

Unfortunately the 3 year guarantee is no longer offered, but still honoured for items bought within its period, so IMO you'd have been better off getting your money back & getting a better TV from somewhere else.

The only good thing I can say about Asda TV's is thier inability to test them when returned, they accept your word on it & do a straight refund etc.

Flubflow
19-08-2004, 11:12
Oh no, not the 28" wide screen one from Asda!

I took mine back the same day I got it, it was crap!
try feeding something like an Xbox etc through the SCART sockets, the picture was all wavy.

The first one I got blew up & went back after 11 months.

Unfortunately the 3 year guarantee is no longer offered, but still honoured for items bought within its period, so IMO you'd have been better off getting your money back & getting a better TV from somewhere else.

The only good thing I can say about Asda TV's is thier inability to test them when returned, they accept your word on it & do a straight refund etc.

I watched a DVD on my friends Bush tv and you could always see a annoying ghost image of the broadcast tv channel you last had selected (was especially bad during dark scenes on the DVD).
Also, it was the second Bush TV they had because the first one just packed up completely with a month or so after purchase. With Bush, you need a 3 year warranty and I suspect ASDA stopped it because they were consistently loosing out because of the crap reliability of these bush/pacific sets. My friends new replacemet Sanyo is super so far.

Mr_love_monkey
19-08-2004, 11:17
I avoid Bush (and Alba) like the plague now - I've never had any equipment from them that hasn't had something go wrong with it, very quickly.
They're aimed at the very cheap end of the market (apologies for offending anyone) and sad but true, you do get what you pay for...

Flubflow
19-08-2004, 11:18
Ooooh spooky - it was a Bush telly! I went and exchanged it last night for a 28" Widescreen Sanyo so, fingers crossed, I'll have no more problems.

The Asda in Grimsby only had a choice of Sanyo and Pacific (some of the other stuff was out of stock), but I wouldn't get Pacific anyway - I know it's snobby but I just think they're a bit 'cheap'

Sanyo. That was it. Not Samsung , sorry.
I remember there were two different 28" Sanyos of the same spec but after looking on the Sanyo website one of them (£10 more expensive) was actually an old discontinued model from about 2 or three years ago and was not even on their website. The Sanyo CE28WN6B is the most current one of the two.

Flubflow
19-08-2004, 11:36
I avoid Bush (and Alba) like the plague now - I've never had any equipment from them that hasn't had something go wrong with it, very quickly.
They're aimed at the very cheap end of the market (apologies for offending anyone) and sad but true, you do get what you pay for...

The Alba group of companies include these brands (manufacturing or under licence).....
Bush
Goodmans
Hinari
Breville
NTL <<<<<??!!
Nicky Clarke
Roadstar
Carl Lewis
Betacom
Dirt Devil
Havard
Cable & Wireless
Viva
Power Devil
JCB
Answercall

On the upside, we had a cute little Hinari portable TV that lasted 10 years before the power supply failed. We decided to have it repaired locally and it is still going strong 6 years later. Lately though, many of the Alba-Bush brands are just so much poo and I would trust them about as far as I could spit a rat.

Nugget
19-08-2004, 11:44
Sanyo. That was it. Not Samsung , sorry.
I remember there were two different 28" Sanyos of the same spec but after looking on the Sanyo website one of them (£10 more expensive) was actually an old discontinued model from about 2 or three years ago and was not even on their website. The Sanyo CE28WN6B is the most current one of the two.

Off the top of my head, I think that the CW28WN6B is the one that we've got - basically, they had the widescreen or the 'standard', but I wanted to keep the widescreen.

One bit of luck was the fact that I got a tenner back, 'cos this one's cheaper than the one I bought 2 years ago - taking homealones advice (I love that little fella), I then bought my beer for the footy with the refund. By the sound of it, I now have a better telly, and technically got free beer!

Nugget
16-09-2004, 16:57
Hello again all - I've got another query relating to this, and I was wondering if anyone has any idea.

We've got the new telly set up (all exactly how it was before with the Scart leads and everything), but I can't get the $ky remote to work it anymore. When we bought the last telly, the remote just automatically worked on it but I just can't think of any reason why this one won't.

Any ideas?

Ramrod
16-09-2004, 16:59
Hello again all - I've got another query relating to this, and I was wondering if anyone has any idea.

We've got the new telly set up (all exactly how it was before with the Scart leads and everything), but I can't get the $ky remote to work it anymore. When we bought the last telly, the remote just automatically worked on it but I just can't think of any reason why this one won't.

Any ideas?afaik, You have to input a code for your new telly into the sky remote. Someone here has a list of samsung codes for different makes of telly, perhaps he has the codes for the sky box's.

edit--does this (http://www.satalogue.com/section13/page2.htm) help?

Nugget
16-09-2004, 17:01
afaik, You have to input a code for your new telly into the sky remote.

Oh poo! Well, that leads nicely into the next question - any idea where I can fiund the code (if it's the Sky manual, I'm a bit boogered 'cos I don't know where it is)

EDIT: Aaah Rammy, yoou answered my question before I asked it! Right, now to see if I can find out who it is!

Ramrod
16-09-2004, 17:02
Oh poo! Well, that leads nicely into the next question - any idea where I can fiund the code (if it's the Sky manual, I'm a bit boogered 'cos I don't know where it is)

EDIT: Aaah Rammy, yoou answered my question before I asked it! Right, now to see if I can find out who it is!see my edit above....
also have a look here (http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/digicode.htm) and especially here (http://www.computer-mentors.co.uk/computermentors/remote-control-programming-code.html)
edit---there might be someone in this thread who can help: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=301945#post301945

Ramrod
17-09-2004, 12:16
Have you sorted it yet Nug?

Nugget
17-09-2004, 12:27
Hi Rammy,

Nah, I haven't had the chance yet, but I'm going to have a crack at over the weekend (hopefully it'll just let me input the code and off I go!).

I'll gove you a progress report on Monday :tu: