PDA

View Full Version : Electoral Register/finding someone

Mr_love_monkey
18-08-2004, 14:55
Where can I go through a copy of the electoral register - am I allowed access to it? I know there are websites that let you search it for a fee, ideally I'd like to be able to search it manually without paying very much.

Do Townhalls have it?

The reason I ask is that soon I'm going to have to track someone down - I know where they live now, but not for much longer since they are in the process of being removed. They owe a large amount of money, and once they move I need to be able to find where they live, inorder to carry on with court orders.
I know that changes to the electoral register won't show up till next year, but I'm prepared to wait.

They're (hopefully) going to be staying in the same area, and I think I know where they are going to be working.
Any other ideas of how I can find them? (short of following them).

gazzae
18-08-2004, 14:57
We often receive enquiries about the electoral register. The register is held at your local electoral registration office (or council office in England and Wales), who you should contact if you are unsure if you are on the register or would like to check details on this. You can find out the contact details at our website aboutmyvote.co.uk. Here you will also find downloadable voter registration forms and applications for postal voting.

The electoral register lists the name and address of everyone who has registered to vote. By law, your local authority has to make the electoral register available for anyone to look at.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/your-vote/access.cfm

Mr_love_monkey
18-08-2004, 14:58
nice one!

Nugget
18-08-2004, 15:09
Not too sure about the legality of using it to track somebody down, but most (if not all) librarys have copies of the relevant local Electoral register - unfortunately, if you're using it to find a name as opposed to an address, it'll be a huge task trying to find it.

Escapee
18-08-2004, 15:15
Where can I go through a copy of the electoral register - am I allowed access to it? I know there are websites that let you search it for a fee, ideally I'd like to be able to search it manually without paying very much.

Do Townhalls have it?

The reason I ask is that soon I'm going to have to track someone down - I know where they live now, but not for much longer since they are in the process of being removed. They owe a large amount of money, and once they move I need to be able to find where they live, inorder to carry on with court orders.
I know that changes to the electoral register won't show up till next year, but I'm prepared to wait.

They're (hopefully) going to be staying in the same area, and I think I know where they are going to be working.
Any other ideas of how I can find them? (short of following them).

Hi, you could try www.192.com or www.ukroll.com

ukroll charge £5 if they find the person and no charge if they dont, I have used them and I am currently using another agancy that charges £45 only if they find them. I would advise giving as much inof as possible and give as many previous addresses as you can find.

I am currently seeking someone from who I am attempting to reclaim personal possessions, so far a contact in the fraud squad has been unable to find an address. He obtained an address where the persons credit card is registered but they have apparently never lived at the property.

I will find the person ;)

Chris
18-08-2004, 15:20
Yep, I was going to say local library too. The problem is, the local library will only have the local portion of the register, so you need to know which locality you want to search and go to the right library. Then, as Nugg says, they are listed by address, not name, so you will have to read the entire register until you find the name you're looking for. As a final hurdle, they will not let you photocopy it to read at home; you will have to sit in the library with it, within sight of the librarian.

If you think there is a reasonable chance of winning your court case, you can afford to incur reasonable costs in pursuing this person which should be recoverable as part of your claim. Why not hire yourself a private Dick to chase them up? Or if you're into cloak and dagger stuff, you could always tail them yourself to find out where they move to.

Mr_love_monkey
18-08-2004, 15:23
Hi, you could try www.192.com or www.ukroll.com

I've looked at 192, bu they are too expensive, to search the current electoral role they want £100.
THe problem with paying for searches, is that I know where he is now, and he has an entry in the electoral register already (I believe - 192 says there is an entry but won't let me see until I pay) , for the current address.. so bascially I need to know when the address is something different - which is why going somewhere where it's free will be good.

This guy owes over 6 grand now - so once we get him out of the property, we want to find him again, as you can understand

Mr_love_monkey
18-08-2004, 15:26
If you think there is a reasonable chance of winning your court case, you can afford to incur reasonable costs in pursuing this person which should be recoverable as part of your claim. Why not hire yourself a private Dick to chase them up? Or if you're into cloak and dagger stuff, you could always tail them yourself to find out where they move to.
We've already gone to court to get him evicted, and the court said he should pay all costs and the money owed, but they can't enforce it yet. we're getting him evicted, and when they evict him they will try and claim the money owed, but if he has gone (he's now waiting for council housing) they can't enforce the debt, so then we have to find him again, and carry on that way.

I've got no problem with going through the entire register... I'm a very patient man :)
Tailing him is the other option

Escapee
18-08-2004, 15:39
Not too sure about the legality of using it to track somebody down, but most (if not all) librarys have copies of the relevant local Electoral register - unfortunately, if you're using it to find a name as opposed to an address, it'll be a huge task trying to find it.

It's OK to use an agency to obtain a persons address as long as their is no legal reason ie: court act against you contacting the person.

If you use one of these agencies you have to sign an agreement stating there is no legal reason etc.

If 192 is too expensive try the other one (UKRoll) I also have another one that I am currently using and could find out the address tonight if you want.
I had a free search on 192 after getting an email from them inviting me to search the 2004 electrol database.

zoombini
18-08-2004, 19:51
Asking the neighbours & telling them that he is owed some money could also work :D He might even contact you.