PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why the forum is down on community?

Ramrod
04-08-2003, 23:28
Just wondering why. It was up and working for a while but not now. Is it due to the abuse they were getting?

Russ
04-08-2003, 23:31
Has it ever been up?

homealone
04-08-2003, 23:36
Originally posted by Ramrod
Just wondering why. It was up and working for a while but not now. Is it due to the abuse they were getting?

what is "community"?

abuse can only function against something that exists?

SNAFU & deal with it?

KingPhoenix
04-08-2003, 23:59
i didnt think the forum was open yet??? :confused: :spin:

Stuart W
05-08-2003, 02:59
I've never seen it open.

Steve H
05-08-2003, 11:02
You arent refferring to www.ntlcommunity.com Are you?.. Because thats unofficial, and was setup by someone outside of NTL..

NTL's Community is, http://community.ntl.com, and there forums are down.

bigboab5
05-08-2003, 12:06
Well here have I been visiting this site since it's launch thinking it was the new community website launched by NTL last month, I did wonder why it said on the front page that it was not owned by NTL. Thanks to the above posting I now know what is what, and that there are quite a few sites out there!!! I thought, that there is not much change here!!!

I also wondered why it said "Rising from the ashes" lol. Oh what an absolute diddy bob

bigboab
:confused:

Ramrod
05-08-2003, 22:40
I'm sure these:http://community.ntl.com forums were up a few days ago......:confused:
Maby I dreamt it....but I don't think so:disturbd:

Ramrod
05-08-2003, 22:40
Originally posted by bigboab5
Well here have I been visiting this site since it's launch thinking it was the new community website launched by NTL last month, I did wonder why it said on the front page that it was not owned by NTL. Thanks to the above posting I now know what is what, and that there are quite a few sites out there!!! I thought, that there is not much change here!!!

I also wondered why it said "Rising from the ashes" lol. Oh what an absolute diddy bob

bigboab
:confused: :rofl: :D

Stuart
06-08-2003, 00:37
I've come to the conclusion that the community.ntl.com forums are just a wind up.

th'engineer
06-08-2003, 06:40
Originally posted by scastle
I've come to the conclusion that the community.ntl.com forums are just a wind up.

Unfortunateley the forums are not available due to the increased heat in the UK.( well do i get the job in NTL:D see i can BS just like NTl any jobs around 45k about in NTL:D)

Lord Nikon
06-08-2003, 07:22
Originally posted by th'engineer
Unfortunateley the forums are not available due to the increased heat in the UK.( well do i get the job in NTL:D see i can BS just like NTl any jobs around 45k about in NTL:D)

lets see if I can do better...

*checks excuse calendar*
Little Hamster in running wheel had coronary, waiting for replacement to be fed-exed from Wyoming

Nope, too plausible, and I suspect too close to the truth

The problems are caused by a short leg on the process table.

There we go...

Alan Waddington
06-08-2003, 08:13
Originally posted by Lord Nikon

Little Hamster in running wheel had coronary

Not very plausable (I don't work for NTL) :D

How about

1. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
(A comedy musical from 1962 play with music by Stephen Sondheim)

2. They've run out of excuses. Currently waiting for a new batch which are on back-order.

3. They've hosted the site on ntl webspace which doesn't support PHP.

or the obvious reason: The response to closing .com was more than expected so they are adopting the tried & tested management technique for adverse situations. "Do Nothing" This avoids anyone having to make any decisions which could damage their career by later proving to be wrong. It'll also allow everyone on .com to tire themselves out complaining, so the community forums won't be inundated with compliants. (So that'll really work then ;) )

Alan

Lord Nikon
06-08-2003, 08:22
What about....

After a suggestion from Frank they decided to re-enact the nativity this christmas.

Unfortunately this has resulted in devoting all resources to locate 3 wise men and a virgin within NTL, so far results are fruitless and the community site has been listed as "coming soon" :D

th'engineer
06-08-2003, 10:44
Originally posted by Alan Waddington
Not very plausable (I don't work for NTL) :D

How about

1. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
(A comedy musical from 1962 play with music by Stephen Sondheim)

2. They've run out of excuses. Currently waiting for a new batch which are on back-order.

or the obvious reason: The response to closing .com was more than expected so they are adopting the tried & tested management technique for adverse situations. "Do Nothing" This avoids anyone having to make any decisions which could damage their career by later proving to be wrong. It'll also allow everyone on .com to tire themselves out complaining, so the community forums won't be inundated with compliants. (So that'll really work then ;) )

Alan

Examples of career damage someone mention the man behind the CAP

MovedGoalPosts
06-08-2003, 10:48
Originally posted by Alan Waddington

Hmm, I wonder how close to the truth that is :LOL:

Stuart
06-08-2003, 12:33
Hell, it's NTL, so while they advertise it as "Coming Soon", it will actually be 3 years late and only a small fraction of it will work properly...

TheBig1
06-08-2003, 14:47
No No No...

The answer is that someone in NTL got confused and mixed up the word community with Commune. Ntl have therefore developed a secret sect and its members have exclusive rights to live within this commune away from the prying eyes of the general public. So dont go thinking the likes of you and the rest of the great unwashed will be getting access soon. :LOL:

rippedoff
06-08-2003, 14:50
I don't know what the fuss is about. Do we really need any more pro-ntl forums?

:spin:

th'engineer
07-08-2003, 21:41
Originally posted by rippedoff
I don't know what the fuss is about. Do we really need any more pro-ntl forums?

:spin:

Its more BS is it not from NTL

Maggy
07-08-2003, 23:14
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
You arent refferring to www.ntlcommunity.com Are you?.. Because thats unofficial, and was setup by someone outside of NTL..

NTL's Community is, http://community.ntl.com, and there forums are down.

Hmmm!When I go to the former non official ntl address I get redirected to the second official community site. It's confusing.

Incog.:shrug:

Lord Nikon
07-08-2003, 23:50
Originally posted by TheBig1
No No No...

The answer is that someone in NTL got confused and mixed up the word community with Commune. Ntl have therefore developed a secret sect and its members have exclusive rights to live within this commune away from the prying eyes of the general public. So dont go thinking the likes of you and the rest of the great unwashed will be getting access soon. :LOL:

They tried that on .com but they called that the Nightclub lol

Chris
14-08-2003, 14:40
Another week goes by and still no forum at community.ntl.com ... although if you click the 'forum jump' menu you can see the titles of the forums that have been set up there. Given that this site was up from scratch in about 7 hours, does anyone have any theories as to why it has taken ntl almost three months, using the same software, to achieve virtually nothing?

MovedGoalPosts
14-08-2003, 15:20
When community was first announced by ntl, they said it would be for customers only. I wonder if this is the heart of the problem. How to let your customers know it's there, and how to keep non customers out (and thus hide from potential new customers all the frustration of who can't get what to work - after all that's whats gonna get posted on a so called support site)!

BBKing
14-08-2003, 20:16
I thought it was for people with an ntl email address? Customers (even on payg dial up) or employees.

Steve H
14-08-2003, 20:22
Dont use my Ntl Email address :eek:

BBKing
14-08-2003, 20:27
You can still register using it, presumably.

Scarlett
15-08-2003, 11:45
I do recall seeing a comment from Frank some time back that certain elements within NTL didn't want a forum/ discussion site on the community site.

I presume they were thinking of some master FAQ tpye thing possibly, it may be that that is holding it up as some want to site to stay as is without the forums and some want the forums active.

In addition the police have advised all the local shops that they are not sell any handbags to NTL staff as they might endup implicated in the inevitable breach of the peace that will occur. it this is true...:D :D

Tod
19-08-2003, 17:28
I think they found that if they had an official support forum for customers only, they would have to give all postings the respect and time of day that you would expect a customer to be given, rather than being ignored or fobbed off by staff posting on their official but handily unofficial nthellworld.com

LooeyUK
20-08-2003, 21:16
It just proves how **** ntl really are!

3+ months to set up a bloody forum which could take less than 30 mins to do.

The Diplomat
31-08-2003, 23:34
Interesting comments from Frank on his site HERE (http://www.frankw.net/blog/) :eek: :eek:

Stuart
31-08-2003, 23:43
Interesting comments indeed.

Shaun
31-08-2003, 23:44
Oops, I wonder what happened there...........................:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Poor guy:(

Lord Nikon
01-09-2003, 00:17
Do you think he meant pentagrams instead of pentangles though? :D

Shaun
01-09-2003, 00:26
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Do you think he meant pentagrams instead of pentangles though? :D

D'oh, I didn't even notice that. It's getting late. I wonder what the score is though, it must be bad for him to be posting stuff like that!

Lord Nikon
01-09-2003, 00:30
I am guessing from his comments that NTL have now taken FULL control of .com and are pretty much cutting him out of the loop, that and perhaps applying leverage and stress on his consultancy position....

Florence
01-09-2003, 00:42
Perhaps there is someone he trusted stabbing him in the back with Ashley wouldn't suprise me

homealone
01-09-2003, 01:20
I'm confused:confused:

I've been away for a week with no net access.:eek:

I logged on when I got back & this thread has been bumped with a bit of a bombshell:spin:

- so I go to look at com - any shrapnel there?

- all I notice, so far, is that the original community announcements in the news section have been updated to 27th August - including one attributed to Frank?:confused: :shrug:

<edit>
oops there is an updated thread - not much discussion yet......

{FU}Fubar
01-09-2003, 09:35
well i was speaking to frank on irc a couple of weeks ago and he told me some stuff that kinda shocked me , obviously i cant tell you what he told me but there is a thread on the .com where i posted what he told me to post about ashg missleading the forum members and customers, the post was removed of course because the admins felt i couldnt back it up although i could be i didnt want to post stuff that frank didnt give me prmission to post... end of the day i have a feeling that ntl have seriously fooked up this time and frank isnt gonna be there to save them. i wish frank the best of luck with his new ventures what ever they are and i wouldnt blame him if he stayed away from the whole ntl shabang all together, hope he stays in the irc channel though :)

Chris
01-09-2003, 13:48
Meanwhile the forum on http://community.ntl.com is still displaying the 'opening shortly' message. Can anyone suggest what 'shortly' means in ntl-english? Clearly it's more than 3 months. What on earth are they doing?

{FU}Fubar
01-09-2003, 13:51
all talk and no action by the looks of it

Shaun
01-09-2003, 21:58
I have a funny feeling that .com will close shortly, with no warning what so ever and no forum at community.

I can feel it in my water

*as my old Nan would say:D

homealone
01-09-2003, 22:22
<originally posted by me>- all I notice, so far, is that the original community announcements in the news section have been updated to 27th August - including one attributed to Frank?

I raised the same question on com & frank said it is due to a bug in the news script.

- like dellwear I can't help thinking this isn't the end of the story?:shrug: