PDA

View Full Version : down and out for two weeks in st albans

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 16:03
here is my tale of woe

Tuesday 3/8/04 broadband service failed, tried resetting modem several times,
Wednesday 4/8/04 tried resetting modem several times to no avail, called customer service, was told after a number of tests that the problem was with broadband modem and that an engineer would be around the next day,
Thursday 5/8/04 no engineer, called customer services again, advised engineer would be there Friday,
Friday, 6/8/04, no engineer, called again, apologies provided; told would be chased up immediately as an urgent matter and someone would be in contact with me that day,
Tuesday, 10/8/04, no one had contacted me, no engineer had called and broadband still not working after a week. Called customer services again and a engineer was promised on Monday morning 16/8/04 ,
Tuesday 17/08/04, no engineer arrived as promised, and broadband still not working, so called customer services again. Was told an engineer was called out, but did not come to my home; not sure what he / she did but my service has not been fixed, and given the problem was as advised with my cable modem this did not seem appropriate. No one called to check even to see that whatever was done had resolved the problem and I waited at home all day for someone to call as promised. Was then told that an engineer would have to be re booked and the earliest was next Monday 23/8/04; a full three weeks of service outage.
have tried and tried with CS but keep banging against a brick wall , have so far spent over 6 hours on the phone notwithstanding wasting days waiting for non existant engineers...why is it that you can not get hold of any manager at NTL and make them responsible for the incompetent service..they all hide behind the call centres..leaving those poor sods to suffering daily verbal harrassment from angry users like myself

what compenastion do i get..and who will pay for my dial up costs ???

does any one know the phone numbers of the managers at NTL so i can call them to get some real action

Neil
17-08-2004, 16:48
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/19/who-are-the-people-in-charge-of-ntlhome

HTH.

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 17:59
Thanks a lot Neil

much appreciated
:)

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 19:22
Just received a call from a "Richard" at NTL..re my fault,..has said that he will book an engineer (ha just like all the previous invisible engineers I have been promised)..but the earliest availability is next Tuesday (24/8/04) now...

what is going on..it has already been two weeks..yet they can not or will not do anything to expedite matters..surely if I had wanted a new connection they would be at my door tomorrow..once you have signed up they could not care less about you

Surely if it takes over a week to get in an engineer there must be serious problems in the house of NTL..something smells terribly wrong..and it does not give one any confidence in the technical capability or otherwise of this company..is it due to collapse ???..can they not afford to hire enough engineers ?..are there cashflow problems ?...one must seriously question the viability of a so called telecoms company that takes three weeks to resolve a customer fault

I saw in a recent paper that ntl wanted to significantly increase the number of customers..it can not even cope with the ones it has now..it is overstretched

overtrading..trying to chase more and more new customers to get cashflow is the sign of a financially unstable company :(

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 19:29
Oh by the way does any one know if there an alternative broadband provider to ntl that I can use without having to install a BT line ?

Ray Vonn
17-08-2004, 20:02
Nope :(

They paid for the cabling so now were stuck with 'em (even TeleWest)

:(

Neil
17-08-2004, 20:09
Oh by the way does any one know if there an alternative broadband provider to ntl that I can use without having to install a BT line ?

A BT phone line is all that is needed for ADSL, you then have the choice of almost unlimited providers.

I have Pipex & would recommend them 100%. :tu:

They have given me a rock solid/uncapped/reliable connection since I got it last November-the same could never be said for ntl.

Just my thoughts.....

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 20:24
I saw in some correspondence that AOL broadband works over ntl..can anyone confirm this is correct ? as this would be a possible option.

Given the importance of a reliable internet connection to me workwise I must now seriously look to alternative broadband providers even if means divorcing ntl after 5 years the clock is ticking and I will soon be one of the many rushing "back to BT"

Ray Vonn
17-08-2004, 20:30
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

While it is possible, PLEASE don't do it!

AOL is a bugger to get rid of when you finally decide you need to :(

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 22:25
Ok Ray calm down

I do not like AOL..frankly I detest it..the way it takes over your PC and spoon feeds you everything..it is like being assimilated...

actually got one of those AOL free trial cd's to use whilst ntl ****ed about getting my connection working..the cd spent 5 mins doing who knows what , installing who knows what on my pc ( and i have a 3 gig machine) ..and for what..it did not work..for crying out loud it would not even give you the numbers and the settings to do it yourself..you had to go through this excrutiating wizard process that failed every time ( and believe me i tried every possible way)

so i uninstalled the crap and went elsewhere

but I must look at all options .....AOl is the last option to be explored if I can not get a resolution from ntl..but one does not shut doors prematurely

actually BT and pipex are looking better all the time..also looking at onetel and tiscali

there is a world outside ntl..one that works ;)

wkbuk
18-08-2004, 13:40
Will wonders never cease :)

an unexpected knock at my door just 30 mins ago (12.05 pm) heralded the unannounced arrival of an ntl engineer

within 5 minutes the faulty cable modem had been confirmed and a new one then installed

as an unexpected bonus he also fixed a reception problem with my cable tv box

so in just 20 minutes broadband and tv all working correctly

thank you to all who have followed this thread which can now be considered closed

hurrah !!!!

Paul
18-08-2004, 13:58
Nice to hear your problems have been fixed. :)

wkbuk
18-08-2004, 15:04
Thanks Paul,

who can say why my fault was answered so quickly, was it my thread on this forum, ?, was it my emails to the ntl managers ?, was it my postings on the ntl feedback site ? or something else?. It was obvious this was not a scheduled visit for the engineer who happened to be diverted enroute to another call out in Harpendon. What if I was not at home ?

the elation at having normal service resumed is tainted somewhat by the unecessary aggro and inconvenience required to get the result. My request for compensation for costs and loss of service remains outstanding .

I would like to thank this forum for the opportunity afforded to me to air my issue..which within 24 hours of posting has been resolved ..co-incidence who knows.