PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new one...!

Graham
17-08-2004, 11:26
I've just received this message:

Dear user of *.co.uk,

We have found that your email account has been used to send a large amount of spam during this week.

Probably, your computer was infected by a recent virus and now runs a hidden proxy server.

Please follow the instruction in order to keep your computer safe.

Virtually yours,
The *.co.uk team.

So my "team" (ie me!) have sent me a message warning me that my computer may have been infected by a virus.

Of course Norton AV picked out the fact that the "instructions" given would actually end up infecting me with a virus...!

Sheesh, some people... :mad:

Mod edit (Chris T): Link removed

zovat
17-08-2004, 11:32
I've just received this message:

So my "team" (ie me!) have sent me a message warning me that my computer may have been infected by a virus.

Of course Norton AV picked out the fact that the "instructions" given would actually end up infecting me with a virus...!

Sheesh, some people... :mad:

We've been getting loads of these at work - salespersons with windows laptops :(

Personally I have suggested that we identify the systems and then ring-fence them...

Once they realise they have no net access, they contact support, who tell them to update the AV software, then bring it to the support guys who will verify all is ok before re-allocating them to a normal IP :naughty:

Unfortunately our support guys were none too keen, apparantly they don't want to upset the sales director.... :Yikes:

Jon M
17-08-2004, 11:34
Sorry, nothing new there... these are generated by one of the MyDoom varients... Just make sure you keep up to date on your anti-virus guys.

http://sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mydoomo.html

zovat
17-08-2004, 11:59
Sorry, nothing new there... these are generated by one of the MyDoom varients... Just make sure you keep up to date on your anti-virus guys.

http://sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32mydoomo.html

Sorry - should have said ... We've been getting these for a while, and have told all staff what it is - it just seems some people are too stupid to be allowed a laptop on a corperate network :rolleyes: