PDA

View Full Version : Dropped connection and flashing lights....Swindon

Reddevil63
16-08-2004, 15:54
I am on the 600k service from NTL (still waiting for upgrade) and for the past 2 days my Surfboard 4100 modem goes into a reboot quite a few times all by itself and the receive light just flashes. Pull the plug and force a re-boot and it comes right but every now and then the receive flashes intermittently then comes back and the activity light sometimes goes out completely with the other lights working fine.

Is anyone else in the Swindon SN3 area getting any problems?

Anyone here got a clue what it could be?

Tezcatlipoca
16-08-2004, 20:01
Hi Red

If the receive light keeps flashing, & doesn't settle & go solid, then the modem is having trouble locking onto a signal.

Have a look here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/lights.html#ltsb

Surfboard 3100 or 4100

(snip)

Receive:

Next the cable modem begins searching all frequencies on the cable for a channel which looks as if it is carrying the cable modem downstream data. The Receive light flashes while it is searching - this can take several minutes if the cable modem is new or after a hard reset. The cable modem remembers in non-volatile memory the frequency it last successfully used, and it tries that channel first: if that works, this search process will take only a few seconds.

If the Receive light never goes steady (and you have to watch it for a long time), then there is a serious problem with your CATV feed, or the local UBR is not working: check that your CATV cable is properly screwed in to the back of the cable modem. If this condition persists, contact your local ISP's Customer Service. When the cable modem has locked on to the downstream data frequency, the Receive light goes steady.

Best bet is to call Tech Support, or hope that one of the helpful ntl people here comes along to help.

MikeyB
16-08-2004, 20:32
Hi Reddevil,

No problems here for me in SN3, my NTL:Home 120 modem behaving as normal all evening so far (hopes that hasn't put the mockers on it!)

MikeyB
16-08-2004, 20:49
Okay, spoke too soon didn't I
About 15 mins after posting above, browsing stopped, looked at my modem, and the ready light was flashing.

All the other lights flashed a couple of times, and it came back to life...

Edit.
Browsing seemed to get quicker, did a quick speed test and:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:48:57 UTC
1st 128K took 1468 ms = 89286 Bytes/sec = approx 743 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1453 ms = 90208 Bytes/sec = approx 751 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1454 ms = 90146 Bytes/sec = approx 750 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1453 ms = 90208 Bytes/sec = approx 751 kbits/sec

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reddevil63
17-08-2004, 16:05
I phoned Tech Support last night after another episode of the modem re-booting and the chap did a test on my line and said the power level was well below the recommendation.

He said it wasn't a modem problem.

He was going to raise a job for the engineers to come out and look at it but he did a quick check and found that a call was made at 9am yesterday from someone in SN3 area with the same problem.

He advised to leave it overnight and if nothing cured by lunch time today, I should call back.

At the mo everything seems fine but the receive light has flashed about twice but no re-boots.....keeping fingers crossed its fixed! :)

Just checked the NTL service status and nothing mentioned and the chap last night was amazed that NTL hadn't put this problem on the page!

Still no upgrade tho MikeyB in same postcode area! :confused:

PS Spoke too soon, modem just done another re-boot by itself! :(

Reddevil63
22-08-2004, 02:56
Well since my last post nothing has happened.

Connection is still up the creek and after spending all last week trying to contact TS I managed to get through yesterday and a engineer has been called.

TS did a check on my line and just from yesterdays log, my modem did a re-boot 30 times!!

As soon as he seen that he knew something was not right hence the call-out.

He doubts the modem is playing up as Surfboards are quite hardy modems so fingers point at the line.

Surprised no-one else in my area has a problem unless it stems from the junction box not far from the house.

Tuftus
24-08-2004, 09:33
I am having exactly the same problem with my 120 Modem, constantly rebooting itself and not locking on.

I am in the NN10 area, I do not know if this has any relevance but we had quite a bad thunderstorm yesterday???

Anyway, called TS and they again said that it was due to low signal and would need an engineer... someone will call me in the next 48 hours to arrange :-(

Tuftus

Reddevil63
24-08-2004, 18:28
I am having exactly the same problem with my 120 Modem, constantly rebooting itself and not locking on.

I am in the NN10 area, I do not know if this has any relevance but we had quite a bad thunderstorm yesterday???

Anyway, called TS and they again said that it was due to low signal and would need an engineer... someone will call me in the next 48 hours to arrange :-(

Tuftus

Still no call from the engineer!!! :mad:

God, not looking forward to spending another 40mins trying to get thru to TS to see about this.

Its complete nonsense!!!! :(

Tuftus
24-08-2004, 18:32
Sorry to hear you are still having probs Reddevil63,

As if by miracle, got home tonight and it is up and running again...

Wierdness.

Best of luck,

Tuftus

Reddevil63
25-08-2004, 08:53
Managed to get thru to Tech Support after another long wait!

He had a looked this up and confirmed that the job was raised on their side but couldn't tell if anything was happening on the engineer side as the computers for the engineers based in the South were offline....brilliant! :(

Anyway was advised to contact CS and try to find out from their side so looks like another phone call later on today.