PDA

View Full Version : Tadpoles?

virtual-angel
16-08-2004, 12:01
Following on from the advice in the weevils thread i wondered if anyone could help me out?

I was doing some gardening yesterday when i found an old watering can that had filled with rainwater, i was going to pour it out when i notices hundreds of wee wiggly things swimming in it!

The look like tadpoles only they are tiny and they seem to swim backwards i.e tail part to the front and the head part to the back. Does anyone have any idea of what they are, how they got there and how do i dispose of them? The watering can must only have been there for a few weeks at the most

I would pour out the water but i dont want to kill them and if they are tadpoles then i dont fancy having hundreds of frogs over run my house and garden?:erm:

Help!!

Bifta
16-08-2004, 12:05
Stick your can in the back of the car and empty in to a local pond/river.

gary_580
16-08-2004, 12:08
More likely to be Mosquito larvae

Chris
16-08-2004, 12:11
They will be the larva of some kind of fly. It's very unlikely indeed to be tadpoles, a frog wouldn't spawn in your watering can because there's no room (mr and mrs frog need to get jiggy with it at the time the spawn is laid, and your watering can would be a wee bit small) and even if they did manage to get it on, there'd still be some evidence of the spawn after just a few weeks (I think it's the wrong time of year for frogspawn as well).

Pour it down the drain.

Ramrod
16-08-2004, 12:18
More likely to be Mosquito larvaeYup, 'specially since tadpoles don't swim tail first.......

TheBlueRaja
16-08-2004, 12:20
Awww - poor wee mosquito larvae.... :eek:

Electrolyte01
16-08-2004, 12:29
Don't want mosquitos flying around and biting you, I would get rid of it quickly if it's mosquito larvae :erm: :(

Ramrod
16-08-2004, 12:38
Do they look like these?

skyblueheroes
16-08-2004, 13:16
Do they look like these?

UUrgggh. Tip it away quickly !

gary_580
16-08-2004, 13:27
UUrgggh. Tip it away quickly !

or put a fish in the watering can as it will eat them

greencreeper
16-08-2004, 13:36
From the sounds of it I think my dad had the same things in a water barrel. I think they're a fly larvae.

virtual-angel
16-08-2004, 14:31
Do they look like these?

Yup thats the disgusting wee critters! so do i just tip it into the garden then?

Jon M
16-08-2004, 14:33
Filter them out using a sieve.. and see if your pet cat/dog will eat them.

Our cats eat anything... spiders and moths being their current favourites.

(our fat ginger tom, who now lives with my parents.. used to like earwax!! :disturbd: )

gary_580
16-08-2004, 15:10
Yup thats the disgusting wee critters! so do i just tip it into the garden then?

Put them in a bag of flour and send them to Chris T. Apparently Mrs T wont mind the bread being made with bugs in. :D

Chris
16-08-2004, 15:23
Put them in a bag of flour and send them to Chris T. Apparently Mrs T wont mind the bread being made with bugs in. :D

:sick: Why, you cheeky ... :D

Matth
16-08-2004, 15:57
If you have goldfish, give them a treat, just don't put any more in than they can eat.

Definitely mosquito (gnat) larvae, also recognizable as they swim with a very jerky flicking action.

Others may be curved with a round head and a curled tail.

Ramrod
16-08-2004, 15:59
Yup thats the disgusting wee critters! so do i just tip it into the garden then?Yup! asap :)

MovedGoalPosts
16-08-2004, 17:20
(our fat ginger tom, who now lives with my parents.. used to like earwax!! :disturbd: )

What on earth possesses someone to even try that sort of thing out. :shocked: Good job the cat isn't with you anymore or it might be a call the the RSPCA ;) On the other hand would not the RSPCA be interested in the pain about to be inflicted on these wriggly little thingys by evicting them from their nice watering can home :confused: :p:

Mr_love_monkey
16-08-2004, 17:23
On the other hand would not the RSPCA be interested in the pain about to be inflicted on these wriggly little thingys by evicting them from their nice watering can home :confused: :p:

Remember this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=253523)?? :)