PDA

View Full Version : Marketing scam

Bifta
16-08-2004, 10:37
Not a scam as such, but exceptionally annoying. My mobile rang about 10 minutes ago, I answered and the line went dead, the number that called showed up as 0870 0426655, naturally, like most other people, I rang it back thinking it could have been something or someone important, turns out it was a company called Docklands Telecom who not only had the gall to ask me to do a survey but tricked ME into paying for the call which means THEY were making revenue on it. So, if that number show's up on your phone, unless you want to pay for the pleasure of giving them verbal abuse, ignore the f*ckers!

Julian
16-08-2004, 10:52
Could be illegal what they did there Bifta...

4.8.3 The second feature they share is the exploitation of premium rate or revenue sharing services. The essence of the scam is that users are deceived into phoning a number without realising that it is a premium rate or revenue sharing service and so costs more than they expect. Examples of this that have come to light in recent years include:

· faxing a premium rate or revenue sharing fax number where the terminating fax machine has been set to run deliberately slowly thus increasing the duration of a call;
· the apparently personal text message that invites a return call to a premium rate or revenue sharing number;
· making a silent call where any return call connects the caller to a premium rate or revenue sharing number (this latter example is also misuse through silent calls and misuse of CLI facilities); and
· the use of recorded ringing tone to deceive the caller that charging has not yet started.

From the OFCOM site HERE (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumer_guides/misusestatement/misusestatement.rtf)

Bifta
16-08-2004, 11:42
Cheers, I've accidently filled in a complaint form about them.