PDA

View Full Version : Rubber plant not too well

greencreeper
15-08-2004, 23:55
I repotted it months ago and since then the lower leaves have gone yellow/brown. I just lop them off with the bread knife - two so far. I was thinking it might be because I repotted it, but that was a while ago. I don't think I'm over-watering it - once every other day. I've fed it and it had a growth spurt. Any thoughts?

Electrolyte01
15-08-2004, 23:56
Tried checking the soil? Could be too acidic or alkaline.

greencreeper
15-08-2004, 23:58
Tried checking the soil? Could be too acidic or alkaline.

I hadn't considered that. Well, I know how to check but I don't have the equipment. I wouldn't know the correct pH range though. It came from Ikea (well I am gay) in this brown stuff that wasn't like soil at all. I just repotted it into standard houseplant compost.

Electrolyte01
16-08-2004, 00:00
Hmm. Try some of that good compost you can get from almost all garderner stores, it *MAY* help.

EDIT: Or you can just keep feeding it, and hope it gets better :(

Kliro
16-08-2004, 00:13
Yellow, is that a potassium deficiency?? I'm not sure, but I think it might be?

Caff
16-08-2004, 00:18
Rubber plants are used to growing towards the light and will shed lower leaves as they age. Just like any other palnt. These things grow low down in tropical places.
It shouldn't have needed feeding in 'new' compost. But,maybe it had been starving well before you noticed the lower leaves. I wouldn't feed it too often. Once a fortnight is enough during the growing season.
Keep it moist - but not too wet. Soak it, drain it and forget it for a couple of weeks. Spray it with mist every day if it's in a dry place.

Give it a real treat and wipe it's upper leaf surfaces with a cotton ball soaked in milk - gets the dirt off and makes then shine. Wipe with plain water on the underside.

Did you move it from it's original position? It needs light but not direct light, I think.

Scuzz P. Thrower.

Time I went on holiday, I think >:(

greencreeper
16-08-2004, 00:27
Rubber plants are used to growing towards the light and will shed lower leaves as they age. Just like any other palnt. These things grow low down in tropical places.
It shouldn't have needed feeding in 'new' compost. But,maybe it had been starving well before you noticed the lower leaves. I wouldn't feed it too often. Once a fortnight is enough during the growing season.
Keep it moist - but not too wet. Soak it, drain it and forget it for a couple of weeks. Spray it with mist every day if it's in a dry place.

Give it a real treat and wipe it's upper leaf surfaces with a cotton ball soaked in milk - gets the dirt off and makes then shine. Wipe with plain water on the underside.

Did you move it from it's original position? It needs light but not direct light, I think.

I'm feeding about 4 drops of Baby Bio feed every fortnight or so. I do wipe its leaves occasionally, using a cotton wool pad and some water though. I do the same for my money plant. Takes ages though.

It used to sit on my desk but I dismantled the desk and put a bookcase there instead. Moved the plant onto the bookcase. It was leaf dropping before that though. I moved it nearer the window where it can get more light.

Caff
16-08-2004, 00:29
And if all else fails :erm: - get a cheese plant. Much the same but prettier. :D

greencreeper
16-08-2004, 00:36
And if all else fails :erm: - get a cheese plant. Much the same but prettier. :D

It was only £2.50 and I figured at that price it wouldn't matter if I killed it like everything else I've owned, plant and animal :D

I usually say morning to it. Well, you have to try everything :erm:

The sap that comes out when I remove the leaf though :shocked: I never thought I'd use my first aid skills on a plant :p: Crumbs.

Well at least the money plant is doing well - I can hardly lift it now.

Caff
16-08-2004, 00:40
Did you move it to a place that has a draught? They don't like dry, moving air.
If you don't want to spend a long time wiping the leaves it would love a luke-warm/tepid shower now and again. Make sure you let let it drain properly afterwards.
It's probably our climate that it's not coping with. Too eratic. Especialy at the moment.

Regards,
Scuzz A. Titchmarsh :)

greencreeper
16-08-2004, 01:12
Did you move it to a place that has a draught?

Er, the whole house is one big mass of draughts :D It was built in 1900ish. It's not too bad where it is at the moment - infront of the window on the sideboard thing.

It's probably our climate that it's not coping with. Too eratic. Especialy at the moment.

I can sympathise with the plant :)