PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful array of error messages

punky
04-08-2003, 11:08
Hey guys.

My NTL service has been going beserk recently.... I think my STB is b0rked (being technical :)), but here goes.

My Internet kept dropping, but if I reset the STB, It came back. Then all of a sudden, the TV connection died, although the Internet still worked. Sometimes it showed "ERR3", sometimes "ERR2", most of the time, it just said "No Channels Available". I called Faults, and they did something with signals, and the TV came back (Dunno if it was a coincidence or not), but I got "ERR3" again, and fairly consistant Internet drops. There are other problems that started at the same time.... Such as the STB affecting the picture on BBC1 etc, when the STB is on, but not when its turned off.

So basically, my question is this:

What do the following error messages mean:

1. "ERR2"
2. "ERR3"
3. Flashing alternate: "ERRS" and "LAIT", When the STB did something to itself (Im guessing what the Faults department did.)

A couple of things... An engineer came before, and put a signal limiter due to a high strength. Could these problems be lack of signal strength? The other info is:Its an Digital Pace STB (I think), Im on the Bromley platform (I live in East London) CR3. I dunno what nodel my STB is, although i could tell you if someone tells me how to find out!

I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks :)

Martin
04-08-2003, 12:07
Ring faults again punky any err messages usually spell doom for the STB:( You need an engineer out.:)

punky
04-08-2003, 12:26
Ahh thanx Martin.

I though the box was knackered. Im still getting "ERR2", "ERR3", and "ERRS/LAIT" galore.... After many months of distringuished service, I guess its a goner :(

Graham
04-08-2003, 20:32
Punky:

This is what happened to me a while back, however it was an area wide fault caused by the failure of a multiplexer and a lack of signal.

There was nothing wrong with the STB and the engineer who was sent out said that he'd got half a dozen more calls to deal with which were also going to be a waste of time because nobody had checked to see if it was an area fault before assigning him to the job.

handyman
04-08-2003, 20:50
Originally posted by punky

So basically, my question is this:

What do the following error messages mean:

1. "ERR2"
2. "ERR3"
3. Flashing alternate: "ERRS" and "LAIT", When the STB did something to itself (Im guessing what the Faults department did.)

on langley boxs :-

err2/3 = memory failure (requires tech)

errs = erase memory normally download related
lait = ???? but is normally download related

basically you memory is not too great in your stb.

if you have er10,11,12,20 then that can indict a area fault :)

Pritch
04-08-2003, 20:52
From my (hazy) memory of DTV faults, ISTR Err3 being pretty dang terminal. I think the advice given on the fault centre intranet was "Reboot, if that doesn't fix it, forget the rest of the diagnostics, truck it."

peterska2
04-08-2003, 21:12
That sounds about right to me Pritch.

punky
05-08-2003, 12:08
Thanx for the help guys, but I don't think its going to help. Im stuck in an eternal cycle....

After suffering since last thursday, I called on Sunday, she sent signals to the box, and it appeared to be fine. She said if the ffault re-appeared, call back and she would call a tech out. Monday, it happened again, and a Tech from here, sent signals to the box at me. It worked, but this morning, happened again. This morning, I called up, and the guy sent signals to the box, same old error message, but TV came back up. He says, wait for it... If it screws up again, call back and they will send a Tech out. He says he cant send a tech out cuz he thinks he fixed it, and it would cost me £50....

Now, I know its going to screw up again tomorrow (it has been reset 3 times), but I feel im going to be stuck in an eternal loop, of having to call Faults to fix my box every morning, and them refusing to send a Tech out...

Any advice? He says "he made a note", but fat lot of good that did, cuz the woman made a note on Sunday... Sure if it comes up ERR2 and ERR3, then no quibble, its a STB problem, but how do I tell them that?

peterska2
05-08-2003, 12:15
I would make sure that you stress to them that it is a recurring fault and that you are having to phone every other day about it.

Do not leave the conversation until they agree to send a tech out. Speak to a team leader if you have too.

punky
05-08-2003, 13:24
Thanx for the tip. Im gonna go ballistic if they fob me off again. But i'll stand my ground. If it happens tomorrow morning, then it would be 4 STB resets, and 3 phone calls to NTL about the same problem :(

punky
08-08-2003, 14:58
Well.. seems to be sorted now so im gonna explain everything so eeryone else knows.

Basically, The tech seemed to think that the box overheated which led to the problems I was having (internal memory probs). It was in an enclosed cabinet with a glass front, and he seemed to think it was unacceptably hot. Although this can be a bit inconsistent. It liked to drop at 10/11am, but worked fine at 3pm when the weather is at its hottest...

I might of shot myself in the foot, cuz he replaced my 2000 series with a 4000 which has a nasty habit of overheating, I seem to recall... Anyways, ive taken the glass off the front and I am going to drill a set of holes in the back to try and improve the air supply. Box seems to be cooler with the one side unenclosed already....

So let this be a lesson to you all.... If you dont want to blow your STBs memory, and have a cockney Tech come round and berate you for being a STB killer, then make sure its well ventilated.

I suppose its a bit late telling you all now the weather is cooling down, but you should bear it all in mind for future hot periods...According to him, leaving the box on standby doesnt make any difference.

andygrif
08-08-2003, 16:59
LOL.....so to get a tv box that works we need to take up carpentry? Perhaps ntl could put something in the contracts, so that when we sign up we get a free tool set!

Stephen Robb
09-08-2003, 19:39
When I had an ERR3 on my box, CS said to me that it had shed of this mortal coil and had gone to that STB Heaven. They notifield the people that had to be notified and it was changed within 24 hours. So only had one night of terrestial!!!!!!!!!!