PDA

View Full Version : moving rooms

axlgnr
11-08-2004, 23:56
hey all, im gettin my own room soon, but my little white box thing is in my current room, and the wire to the STB isnt very long, can i get a longer a wire? Also my brother is moving into a his own room and he wants the channels still so we was thinking of gettin another STB. Can NTL send an engineer round to rearrange everything? And what are the expected costs? Im posting here before i call NTL just for any help. Thanks!

nffc
12-08-2004, 00:03
Spose they can but have you thought of ad hoc wifi or wireless router?

axlgnr
12-08-2004, 00:09
thanks for the reply, if only i was clued up on all that. ill have to do a bit a research i guess...

Chris W
12-08-2004, 00:35
An extra STB is £15 per month with no installation charge. A longer cable can be done by an engineer. which may cost you £50 for the call out.

If a longer ethernet cable from the pc to stb is an option then you can get a 20m ethernet cable from ntl, or you can buy any length that you want.

nffc
12-08-2004, 00:58
You can get a 20m from ntl? how much is that?

Chris W
12-08-2004, 01:02
You can get a 20m from ntl? how much is that?

they are supplied free of charge to people who have set top box connections in a different room to their computer.

nffc
12-08-2004, 01:04
they are supplied free of charge to people who have set top box connections in a different room to their computer.
O rite- we have a SACM so spose I'd have to buy a longer one :(

ntlrocks
26-09-2004, 14:39
i have computer and tv in same room. I am planning on moving the computer up stairs (2 flights) and was wondering could ntl: add a connection to my room. If they did..would i have the connection downstairs still, so if i want to move back i could?

quadplay
26-09-2004, 16:24
They could, but unless you had a new service installed at the same time, you'd be likely to find there's a charge. Your local sales team, on 0800 183 1234, can help.

monel
26-09-2004, 20:21

How do we get them?/just phone up and ask nicely?....or is there a certain method that we must use,cos I want to move my sons PC away from where the cable modem box is,and it would be very handy indeed.
Thanks
Gordon

scrotnig
26-09-2004, 20:32
£50 is the maximum charge but a simple move of a cable like this would normally attract only a £25 charge, dependant on the region.

A lot depends on how much work is needed.

monel
26-09-2004, 20:49
£50 is the maximum charge but a simple move of a cable like this would normally attract only a £25 charge, dependant on the region.

A lot depends on how much work is needed.

NNNnaaaahhhhh...i can do it myself for 10-12 quid....Im not gonna offer NTL 50 to do it,thanks though.

Chris W
26-09-2004, 20:50
How do we get them?/just phone up and ask nicely?....or is there a certain method that we must use,cos I want to move my sons PC away from where the cable modem box is,and it would be very handy indeed.
Thanks
Gordon

You can only have a 20m ethernet cable if you are using a set top box not cable modem. If you need one, you will be supplied with one on installation and if this fails, techincal support can arrange a replacement. In all other circumstances if you want anything other than the standard cabling that is supplied you must purchase this yourself.

Chris W
26-09-2004, 20:53
NNNnaaaahhhhh...i can do it myself for 10-12 quid....Im not gonna offer NTL 50 to do it,thanks though.

**cough cough**

9. Equipment

9.1 If any further internal cable or Equipment is required it must be provided by Us and You may have to pay our reasonable additional Charges.

9.5 Nobody other than an ntl representative may tamper, add to, modify or interfere with the Equipment in any way. As well as any other rights We may have, such action may result in our suspending the Services, terminating the Agreement and/or our retaining the whole or a part of any deposit.

monel
26-09-2004, 21:29
**cough cough**

AAAHHHHH,but I have a router,which has nothing to do with NTL,so adding a longer cable to it is perfectly within all terms of use set by NTL.If I tried to change the cables they supplied,then such terms might come into play..it could also be argued that they didnt actually install the modem where I wanted it,cos it was easier for them to place it in my livingroom,not my sons room as they were hired to do.