PDA

View Full Version : Broadband PIN Problems ->

dave_birdi
08-08-2004, 11:01
After two weeks of waiting, NTL has now finally decided to install a cable connection to my house. However, eventhough i have the cable connection and modem fully installed i still DON'T have my broadband internet connection working.

When installing the modem with an rj45 cable with the Broadjump! CD i was prompted for the PIN number to initialise the connection.

I proceeded to contact customer services who told me to ring the next day in line with the idea that the pin would be generated by then. (This was thursday by the way,). I then rang the next day only to find that by Friday that the PIN hadn't been generated and that i would have to wait at most 48 hours for the PIN to be generated. (Of course, i wasn't told this the first time i rang CS).

Of the first of the telephone calls i made on saturday to CS to collect my PIN, it still had not been generated, however this time the person at CS prompted me to give the MAC address of my stand alone cable modem and said that my PIN number would be genereated "by the end of today" and that i would be given a phone call. Later on, my brother rang CS again, who told him to ring tomorrow. EVENTHOUGH THE PERSON AT CS KNEW FULL WELL THE OFFICES WERE CLOSED ON A SUNDAY!!!!!.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As you can see, i'm a bit annoyed with the fact that i've been waiting ages for broadband, and now NTL CS aren't really helping. Should i continue calling CS or is there another way to get my PIN for Broadband?
:mad: :mad:

paulyoung666
08-08-2004, 11:14
hi and :welcome: to the site , you dont need the cd !!!! , now am i going to make myself look stupid and suggest you go to the autoregister page that i cant remember or am i right , someone help :D :D :D :D

Paul K
08-08-2004, 11:20
Wasn't it a case of everyone had the same PIN number no matter what when they first registered and then they created their own unique accounts? Sorry, no longer have my paperwork due to relocation.
Is this page one of the ones you use?
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/

paulyoung666
08-08-2004, 11:40
Wasn't it a case of everyone had the same PIN number no matter what when they first registered and then they created their own unique accounts? Sorry, no longer have my paperwork due to relocation.
Is this page one of the ones you use?
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/

that is the one , you still need ntl numbers though :(

Chris W
08-08-2004, 11:56
dave_birdi what area are you living in?

and paul... the serial number is the same for everyone, but everyone needs their own pin number for registration

EDIT: and :welcome: to the site dave_birdi :)

dave_birdi
08-08-2004, 14:24
@monkey - Live in Leeds 7 Area
Is there any method of getting my PIN, furthermore, is my PIN specific to my MAC address? (Of my standalone Modem)

Chris W
08-08-2004, 14:27
@monkey - Live in Leeds 7 Area
Is there any method of getting my PIN, furthermore, is my PIN specific to my MAC address? (Of my standalone Modem)

I will have a look tomorrow (not in work today) if you could send me some details:
postcode, name, house number, phone number, service level you subscribed to

It will be specific to your account, so you will need one setup for you before you can register.

MB

EDIT: also need the mac address of your cable modem please

Tezcatlipoca
08-08-2004, 14:33
:welcome: dave_birdi

Another PIN problem? Seems to be a common thing lately (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15765, http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14548 etc )

Monkeybreath does indeed work for ntl, & should be able to help you out :)

Failing that, one of the other ntl peeps here may also be able to help (I know Mark B, Debsy42, & Hell'sChild have helped people with missing PIN problems recently)

dave_birdi
08-08-2004, 18:03
Will wait till tomorrow then, cheers for all your help guys!

Marge
08-08-2004, 18:16
I'm in from 8 tomorrow if thats any help :D

paulyoung666
08-08-2004, 19:13
I'm in from 8 tomorrow if thats any help :D

so whats he do then , ring c.s. and ask for debsy42 :rofl: :rofl: , i think i will :Sprint: away now before i get :knock: about :erm: :D :D :D

Marge
08-08-2004, 19:16
so whats he do then , ring c.s. and ask for debsy42 :rofl: :rofl: , i think i will :Sprint: away now before i get :knock: about :erm: :D :D :D

paul, come back here you naughty boy :knock: :knock:

paulyoung666
08-08-2004, 19:18
paul, come back here you naughty boy :knock: :knock:

:( sorry :rofl:

mind you it could be interesting ,

customer rings c.s. and asks for debsy42 , i might do it tomorrow justfor the hell of it :rofl: :rofl:

Marge
08-08-2004, 19:21
he he he, be a lot of :confused: faces lol

Chris W
08-08-2004, 19:50
aren't there lots of :confused: faces in c/s anyway :p: :Sprint:

Marge
08-08-2004, 19:55
aren't there lots of :confused: faces in c/s anyway :p: :Sprint:

yep, mine included :rofl:

MB if you have the details do you want to send them to me as I'm in from 8 so might be able to sort for you cos I know you'll be mad busy first day back

Chris W
08-08-2004, 20:54
yep, mine included :rofl:

MB if you have the details do you want to send them to me as I'm in from 8 so might be able to sort for you cos I know you'll be mad busy first day back

the guy hasn't sent the details yet :shrug: if it is before 4 i will do though :)

Shouldn't be too busy... only have 3 other issues from here to look at :p:

dave_birdi
09-08-2004, 14:04
ok, forgive me for sounding a tad p*ssed off, but it has taken 5 F*****G days before NTL has finally provided any other additional information other than "it'll be ready tomorrow" in them taking so long for a PIN generation. The most recent phone call that i have made to NTL involved an NTL representative finally admitting that NTL currently has "some problems" in generating new PINs for SACMs.

The representative promised to contact me via my mobile once the PIN had been generated. Just in case i took the name and extension number of the person in question. But i'm still somewhat annoyed.

Eventhough i've not registered the modem with NTL as of yet, once i connected the modem i could still ping websites such as bbc.co.uk (showing a connection), but my browser wasn't configured. Is it possible to still use the internet without registering the modem?

MagicMan
09-08-2004, 14:32
Eventhough i've not registered the modem with NTL as of yet, once i connected the modem i could still ping websites such as bbc.co.uk (showing a connection), but my browser wasn't configured. Is it possible to still use the internet without registering the modem?
The only thing you can do is ping etc... due to the way that the NTL network is configured. From what I can work out - prior to the MAC address being registered, you have an IP address within a specific range which is limited to only certain TCP ports or something.

This sounds like the same problem I had but I was (thankfully) sorted out via this forum by MarkB and Hell's Child . Even if there are one or two bad eggs in CS, many of them are cool and will do all they can to help - as far as the whole registration system goes, it is pretty terrible. Hope everything gets sorted out for you.

Ramrod
09-08-2004, 15:31
ok, forgive me for sounding a tad p*ssed off, but it has taken 5 F*****G days before NTL has finally provided any other additional information other than "it'll be ready tomorrow" in them taking so long for a PIN generation. The most recent phone call that i have made to NTL involved an NTL representative finally admitting that NTL currently has "some problems" in generating new PINs for SACMs.

The representative promised to contact me via my mobile once the PIN had been generated. Just in case i took the name and extension number of the person in question. But i'm still somewhat annoyed.

Eventhough i've not registered the modem with NTL as of yet, once i connected the modem i could still ping websites such as bbc.co.uk (showing a connection), but my browser wasn't configured. Is it possible to still use the internet without registering the modem?Did you give monkeybreath or debsy your details?

Chris W
09-08-2004, 15:53
Did you give monkeybreath or debsy your details?

:no: not me :shrug:

Marge
09-08-2004, 16:09
:no: not me :shrug:

Me neither :confused:

and MB I've emailed you chuck, need you !!!!!!!!

Chris W
09-08-2004, 16:16
Me neither :confused:

and MB I've emailed you chuck, need you !!!!!!!!

not in work until 6pm... have mailed you from home though ;)

scrotnig
09-08-2004, 19:54
I could sort this out too...so there's three of us here now!

dave_birdi
10-08-2004, 13:07
Rang NTL this morning, and i finally received a PIN for my CM, Great!!!! I thought...........
:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

I then tried registering the modem with ntl but was unsuccessful. To make things even more worse, when i rang NTL to find out what th F**K was going on the guy said that the PIN had NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (emphasis on the HAD NOT) been generated, which by implication means that the previous phonecall to NTL CS was to a F*cking liar!!!, who when beyond the call of duty by *generating* a PIN out of thin air.

Anywayz, seeing how one of you lot could sort me out, what information woyuld i have to provide to get my PIN number!!!!!

P.S - Is there any NTL number that i can ring for someone to sort me out else am i gonna have to LEAVE NTL before they even provide me with their *so called* service?

Chris W
10-08-2004, 13:10
i could have a look at this and would need:

your postcode, house number, name, a contact phone number and which speed of connection you have signed up for.

I'll be able to have a look tonight for you.
MB

Hell's Child
10-08-2004, 13:52
Make it 4 people that could help haha.

You might want to take note that there is a problem with SABS (the stand alone broadband server) that means it is taking 48 hours to generate PINS. However in some circumstances they are not generated at all. :td:
It is something to do with microsoft (we keep getting told) and they are working on resolving this at the moment.

In these situations someone from ntl (Debsy42, monkeybreath, markb or myself) can register you manually from work and then all you need to do is set your pc up. Tech support can help if you are unsure or I also know that markb can help you through this process. :D

But as has been said, one of us needs your account details (postcode/house number/acct no) so we can get into your account and get you registered.

Send it via pm to one of the above and it will get sorted for you!!! :cool:

dave_birdi
10-08-2004, 20:02
Finally........ SORTED, i managed to get a techie @ NTL to manually add my modems MAC address to the server and it now all works, thanks for all the help guys!

scrotnig
10-08-2004, 23:49
You might want to take note that there is a problem with SABS (the stand alone broadband server) that means it is taking 48 hours to generate PINS. However in some circumstances they are not generated at all. :td:
It is something to do with microsoft (we keep getting told) and they are working on resolving this at the moment.
Just one small point...

Who on Earth told you SABS stood for Stand Alone Broadband Server?

It's Subscriber Administration & Billing System.