PDA

View Full Version : Excel Spreadsheet - Stock Control

Daniel H
01-08-2003, 21:55
Well,

I need to do a stock take in a way at work and be able to record and keep updating the data so I can now exactly what stock we should have in the warehouse.

Lots of formulas would probably need to be used, and also one of the problems is that we have some products which can be purchased separately on their own, but also come free when a certain other product is bought.

So I was wondering if anyone could possibly design some kind of template with some examples of stuff including the above.

I'm quite good on computers and can do spreadsheets, but don't really have much clue of where to start with this so would greatly value YOUR help.

homealone
01-08-2003, 22:41
to be honest Daniel H I think a database, rather than a spreadsheet is what you need.

If you've got Excel do you have Access?

Do you realise what you are taking on - you will have to allocate an unique code to everything in your inventory and a description/name - as a minimum.

You then have to have a system that monitors the inventory - goods in, goods out, lead times, minimum stock levels, etc - it's not just the software design, here, it's the physical systems you need to maintain the system as well - the stores requisition needs to get from the stores to the data guys for it all to work.:)

- unless you network the stores, of course - how far can you go?

Daniel H
01-08-2003, 23:08
Yep, I've got access.

All products already have a 4 digit item number which is used by customers when ordering. I do have access at work to a table of all our products with the item numbers.

Like with the spreadsheet, but probably even more so I wouldn't have a clue where to start with the database.

Tricky
02-08-2003, 11:05
Many colleges are now running "Free" basic training for products such as Excel and Access etc.

homealone
02-08-2003, 11:17
Originally posted by Daniel H
Yep, I've got access.

All products already have a 4 digit item number which is used by customers when ordering. I do have access at work to a table of all our products with the item numbers.

Like with the spreadsheet, but probably even more so I wouldn't have a clue where to start with the database.

my Office 97 version of Access has a sample database called inventory control.mdz which runs a wizard so you can tailor it a bit, you might like to have a play.