PDA

View Full Version : New Samsung Box -problems-

BIGZIPZ
04-08-2004, 13:02
Hey, had my new Silver Samsung box a couple of days now, and the tv side of things might have improved 100%, but the internet side has gotten worse.

Two times in one hour its stopped responding to anything and required to be unplugged. Both times (and the times before) I have been downloading a torrent.

People suggested on the the old Pace boxes to limit there upload as this caused problems with disconnections, so even though I have the new box, I capped the upload speed to 10KB/sec and the download speed to 50KB/sec. Despite these caps, It is still knocking me off, even more frequently than before on the old Black Pace box.

The only difference is that the connection doesnt seem to totally drop, with this box I can still seem to SEND information but not recieve it. An example, after it dies I try to connect to mirc, and it actually sends my data to the server, then halts. With Outlook, it Connects Authorises and says retreiving new messages, then it halts. In fact after I lost my connection the torrent file continued to upload! yet I couldnt download it, or get on mIRC properly, check email browse, etc

After the disconnect I ran Ethereal and logged the packets, most of them seem to be ARP packets with data such as :

Who Has 80.6.184.254

And many others with different 80. and 81. Ip's

Any suggestions?

th'engineer
04-08-2004, 13:11
Suggest you contact customer services from info received by many people it should be rock solid with no problems. It might be an SNR or return power problem. They can check it out from CS remoteley

BBKing
04-08-2004, 16:29
Who Has 80.6.184.254

This would be a PC in the first SACM PC range on Harrogate UBR 1 card 3 looking for its default gateway. Nothing to do with an STB, you must just be picking up stuff off the wire.

Do you happen to know if torrent uses TCP or UDP?

winterbrew
04-08-2004, 18:35
Great, I thought the swap for the new Samsung box for 1.5Mbps would be the answer to all my problems. On my 1Mbps connection with Pace DiTV1000, I'm lucky to survive between 5 minutes and half an hour without the box locking up and needing to be unplugged using Bittorrent. EDonkey can last up to 2 days however !

Bittorrent uses TCP 6881:6999 by default

Jon

BIGZIPZ
04-08-2004, 20:03
This would be a PC in the first SACM PC range on Harrogate UBR 1 card 3 looking for its default gateway. Nothing to do with an STB, you must just be picking up stuff off the wire.

Do you happen to know if torrent uses TCP or UDP?

WHat do you mean by off the wire? I should point out I received about 250 of those packets in around 5 mins.