PDA

View Full Version : domestic cleaning

danielf
01-08-2003, 13:16
Since my girlfriend and I both work, we're considering having someone do a couple of hours of cleaning for us each week. We got quoted 12 quid an hour, including vat, materials and insurance. That sounds like a lot to me.

Does anyone know what the going rate is?

orangebird
01-08-2003, 13:23
Originally posted by danielf
Since my girlfriend and I both work, we're considering having someone do a couple of hours of cleaning for us each week. We got quoted 12 quid an hour, including vat, materials and insurance. That sounds like a lot to me.

Does anyone know what the going rate is?

That sounds ok to me - I have a cleaner two hours a week - she gets paid £10ph cash. Add on a couple of quid if it were to go through 'the books' and it's the same rate as you've been quoted. Fair enough. :)

TigaSefi
01-08-2003, 13:24
Get your mum to do it for £2 an hour and a box of PG Tips every week.

danielf
01-08-2003, 13:26
Originally posted by orangebird
That sounds ok to me - I have a cleaner two hours a week - she gets paid £10ph cash. Add on a couple of quid if it were to go through 'the books' and it's the same rate as you've been quoted. Fair enough. :)

Cheers for that.

danielf
01-08-2003, 13:27
Originally posted by TigaSefi
Get your mum to do it for £2 an hour and a box of PG Tips every week.

:D I don't suppose your mom is up for it?

TigaSefi
01-08-2003, 13:29
nah she too busy cleanin' after me and my son hit her place hehe takes her a bout a week for one day visit.

orangebird
01-08-2003, 13:53
Cheers for that.

No probs. Just think, for less than £25 per week, you need never drag round the hoover or buy a can of Mr Sheen ever again! Well worth it...

:D

danielf
01-08-2003, 14:06
No probs. Just think, for less than £25 per week, you need never drag round the hoover or buy a can of Mr Sheen ever again! Well worth it...

:D

Well, my gf used to do the cleaning anyway ;)

But I suppose I ought to help out now that she is working again, so yes, I'm quite happy to pay someone to do it for us

Ramrod
01-08-2003, 17:06

Does anyone know what the going rate is? We generally pay about £6.50 to£7.50 /hour....thats cash in hand

orangebird
01-08-2003, 17:14
Originally posted by Ramrod
We generally pay about £6.50 to£7.50 /hour....thats cash in hand

Do they provide all the cleaning products and tools too?

danielf
01-08-2003, 17:31
Do they provide all the cleaning products and tools too?

Even if they don't, you can go through a -lot- of products and tools for the difference between £7.50 and your £10 and my £12 per hour.

£12/h is starting to sound quite high again...

tabatha
01-08-2003, 19:58
Hi...The "expensive" south is £6p.h.. cash in hand just the labour..customer supplies materials..not rubber gloves or "pinny"...I know for certain cos that what er indoors gets...unless she doesnt hand it all over.....memo...check her purse!!!!!!as if I was brave enough.....

Ramrod
01-08-2003, 20:35
Do they provide all the cleaning products and tools too? No we do, they're under the sink:D

TheBig1
01-08-2003, 20:48
put a card in a local shop window, offering £5 per hour or £10 fo the mornings work and you will have litterally hundreds of retired peeps and students fighting over the job.

As for chemicals supply your own and you can then check
a) they are being used
b) they do the job
c) they smell better and do the job better than cheapies from the market

Cash in hand makes the world go round you know

tabatha
01-08-2003, 21:12
Hi danielf...If you are talking vat/insurance I imagine you approached an agency?????...From experience they will typically pay the "worker" £4/5ph...#16 has it about right IMO...
I believe vat comes in at about £30,000 per yr...tho others may prove me wrong...thats a lot of houses!!!!!

danielf
01-08-2003, 21:19
Originally posted by Drudge
Thanks Tabatha, So WHY is a place like Nottingham so expensive?

Rip off Nottingham I guess. No, I guess it must be going through a company. I don't mind paying a bit more for having it all above board, but £12ph does sound silly. I'll do some shopping around (cash in hand ;) ).

Cheers everybody.

Edit: Yes Tabatha, I contacted a company someone at work suggested.

Ramrod
01-08-2003, 21:28
Originally posted by TheBig1
put a card in a local shop window Thats what I was just going to say:)

blackthorn
01-08-2003, 22:38
I`m in the cleaning game/business and if you hire someone cash in hand and they have ANY form of accident in your house, then you are liable.
If you do it properly, then all reputable people carry up to £10 mill public liability insurance, which we all have.
If you supply the chemicals and I mean stuff like bleach and so on, then you must have the c.o.s.h.h sheets for every chemical you supply. The c.o.s.h.h sheets provide all the info the user needs in the event of any accident. It`s ok for you to go and buy chemicals and use them yourself but not to give to a third party.

If the person you are hiring brings their own cleaning materials, then the responsibility is theirs.
£12 an hour is very reasonable considering the paperwork and insurance they must have.
Have all your electrical items and sockets been tested by a qualified electrician before allowing someone you invited in your house to plug anything in?
There`s a lot more to the cleaning business than people imagine and there are plenty of court cases to prove it.