PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] M33/Manchester area issues.

Rone
03-08-2004, 10:12
M33

No its not James Bonds new boss, just a troublesome area atm.
Since going to 1.5 meg my connection has been diabolical. Cut offs slow browsing etc etc never mind the e-mail.
When i joined the merry-go-round on the phone, it mentioned Saturday and Sunday, peeps in this area [manchester south] were having a teenzy problem.
Well its still cr@ppy and theres no mention of it on the phone anymore [so its solved or someone forgot to rewind the cassette :) ].
Its not been on the status page at all. Ive been hanging on the phone till i gave up, usually i do ok, but today was'nt my lucky day.
Could any of our resident NTL guys throw a bit of light on what it is?
Or is it cos we got our upgrades early and are now paying the price? :erm:

Pritch
03-08-2004, 10:43
ARe you on STB or standalone modem? If STB, is it a Pace or Samsung?

The Paces are in the process of being swapped out for megabit customers, as they will have issues with the 1.5Mbit upgrade.

Rone
03-08-2004, 11:02
Sorry forgot to say, i'm on an AMBIT sacm.
As far as i know they are ok for 1.5 meg. Plus, it was the nads for the first day, then pfffff. :(

Retrovertigo
03-08-2004, 11:32
Anyone in Manchester having weird split second disconnections? I am thinking that's what is happening as I can surf and download stuff as normal, but MSN messenger and Yahoo messenger keep disconnecting every few minutes then reconnecting again. It's odd because if I am downloading a torrent I don't lose connection to the seeds and peers. Yet Yahoo and MSN keep signing in then cutting off, then signing in again. Cheers

Kliro
03-08-2004, 12:44
Sounds more like you have adware/malware get Adaware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and run it, should sort it out IMO

eoin.miskell
03-08-2004, 12:56
Anyone in Manchester having weird split second disconnections? I am thinking that's what is happening as I can surf and download stuff as normal, but MSN messenger and Yahoo messenger keep disconnecting every few minutes then reconnecting again. It's odd because if I am downloading a torrent I don't lose connection to the seeds and peers. Yet Yahoo and MSN keep signing in then cutting off, then signing in again. Cheers

Yes i am having the same problems today as well.

Rone
03-08-2004, 13:12
If you look lower down, thats what my M33 post is about.

And i dont have any adware etc, and i,m sat behind a hardware firewall as well. And i have tried without that, and just using my software firewall.
Its intermittent, but its still there from the weekend. :(

Kliro
03-08-2004, 13:36
My problem sounds more like the M33 post, and Im also M33 on 300k STB, I keep getting cut off, like once a day sometimes more, I called the engineer out about it, but he said everything looked fine and gave me a new cable :confused: the light on my box never blinks or indicates anything is wrong but nothing reconnects till I reset the box, and after I phoned the CS the net disconnected about 13 times over the period of 24 hours, so Im scared to call again :(

BBWTBB
03-08-2004, 14:57
I'm in the M33 area and I wonder if the problems extend to WA15 (Timperley) as my sister has been without web access for over a week now. She called NTL but was left on hold for over half an hour and was then cut off.

Wallace
03-08-2004, 18:05
I also live in the WA15 area of Timperley. I kept loosing my BB conection. I removed the signal conditioning filter from my in comming co-ax and hey presto, BB came back.

swoop101
03-08-2004, 18:18
Well I am right next to Timperley and have no problems. :shrug:

Kliro
03-08-2004, 18:19
Im in the M33 area and lose connection about once a day, got worse over the past couple of weeks.

BBWTBB
03-08-2004, 22:44
I also live in the WA15 area of Timperley. I kept loosing my BB conection. I removed the signal conditioning filter from my in comming co-ax and hey presto, BB came back.
Sorry for being thick, but how do you do that? :erm:

:)

carlingman
04-08-2004, 00:14
Sorry for being thick, but how do you do that? :erm:

:)

Not recommended as you may incur a £50 call out fee or whatever the current price is if something goes wrong.

But you can always put it back on if it does not work.

The signal conditioner is proabably the same as an attenuator attached to the cable looks like a shiny silver barrel over the cable and easy to remove.

:D

Mandlebrot
05-08-2004, 00:59
I've been having these intermittent disconnects for weeks now

Rone
05-08-2004, 09:20
Seems everyones more interested in the speed gain, rather than in the reliability of it. :(

Neil
05-08-2004, 09:27
Seems everyones more interested in the speed gain, rather than in the reliability of it. :(

A point I have been making for a while....;)

Ignition
05-08-2004, 15:30
Speed gain and reliability are totally unrelated to each other, the only thing the speed gain could affect reliability wise is download rates.....

People like a service to be v quick most of the time, most don't actually care if their service is only up 99.5% of the time so long as it's quick to be honest. (Most customer modems I've seen have uptimes in the 99.9% or higher range).

Not entirely sure what your comment means Neil. Although you're probably right, that and price, which will be why Pipex is getting a sweet churn at the moment from people whose special offers on 1Mbit are running out or who want 2Mbit cheaper than the Pipex business service price of over £70 a month ;)

Rone
05-08-2004, 19:25
Sorry i should have been clearer.
I,m on almost my second year with the 1 meg, and in all that time, [except gaming pings and e-mail] the connection has been great. Almost no downtime worth mentioning and constant speeds when tested. BUT after the dead smooth transition to 1.5 meg, there are lots of little disconnections, ie: i,m browsing then a page fails to display, check my conn, and its gone down, then back-up almost immediately.
Something its never done before. Just that if its going to be the norm from now on, i,m going to have to go elsewhere. :(

Rone
05-08-2004, 22:29
Ok its been ok all day, now its cutting off every 5 mins, then nothing for a while.
Its pathetic. :(

Kliro
05-08-2004, 22:33
Possibly tonights is from this storm?