PDA

View Full Version : Food poisoning?

Mark W
01-08-2003, 08:12
Yesterday my housemate and i went out for lunch at a nice italian, and had anice spageitti marinaria (seafood for the uninitiated) - well, got home and a few hours later started to feel REALLY ill (thats why i dropped off the forum last night :( )

After spending all night throwing up and living in the loo, i still feel life death warmed up. anyone got any ideas on what can help cure me? tried drinking loads of water, butyou guessed it, it dont stay down for long :cry:

am getting very fed up now (lack of sleep is a killer) and if it dont get better soon im tempted to go back to that restaurant and rip that chefs throat out.....

any suggestions folks? - about getting better, not how to rip his throat out ;)

homealone
01-08-2003, 09:02
All you can do is try to keep the fluid intake going so you don't dehydrate. Best stuff is "sports" drinks, but Lucozade is ok if you drink some water as well. Failing that plain water with a little sugar & salt dissolved in it.

Did your housemate suffer the same symptoms? It's possible it is an allergic reaction rather than due to a bug?

Hope it clears up soon!

Mr_love_monkey
01-08-2003, 09:11
Yeah, the best thing is just to drink lots of liquids and try not to dehydrate.

You should bear in mind that food poisoning can happen anything up to 4 days (or there abouts, I can't remember the exact figure) after you have eaten something, since things can hang around in the gut for quite a while.

Also I remember reading somewhere that seafood poisoning is often combined with a rash? - so it's always possible it's something else you have eaten over the past few days - not that any of this helps you at all :)

If you feel it was this place, then you should report it. All suspected cases of food poisoning should be reported - if you go to hospital for it, they will take a 'sample' - and I'm not talking about your sick, and as well as details of where you think you got it from...

Hope you feel better soon

Mark W
01-08-2003, 09:34
yep, my housemate revisited his lunch too, tho hes not suffering as bad as me.and thatlunch is the only thing we have eaten in common in a while....

take a sample?...hmm,not sure im too keen on that idea :erm:

Pritch
01-08-2003, 09:38
Originally posted by homealone
Did your housemate suffer the same symptoms? It's possible it is an allergic reaction rather than due to a bug?

I felt a bit queasy for a while, threw up outside the pub last night (I'd only had one pint too! :( ) but I feel alright now.

I think it was definately the seafood.

Mr_love_monkey
01-08-2003, 10:09
Originally posted by Pritch

Maybe you guys just can't take your beer??? :p :D

My sister always used to claim that she had food poisoning whenever she ended the night with her head down the toilet after going out and drinking too much..

homealone
01-08-2003, 10:28
Originally posted by Pritch
I felt a bit queasy for a while, threw up outside the pub last night (I'd only had one pint too! :( ) but I feel alright now.

It would be unusual for two people to be allergic to seafood "all of a sudden", so it does sound like actual food poisoning.

There are mainly two types, one where the bug needs to multiply inside you before you show symptoms - that's the one that may take a few days to develop - the other is where the bug was already in the food for long enough to produce toxins, which show a much more immediate effect. It sounds like you guys got the latter.

You can also get toxins present in the shellfish due to them eating certain algae which can cause diarrohea & sickness as well. There is currently a ban on Cockle harvesting in the Thames Estuary because of this, for example.

Glad you're ok Pritch - hope Mark feels better soon.

Gaz

Nidge
01-08-2003, 10:52
Food poisioning takes 24 hours to effect your body, 48 hours for salmonela. Do not take Imodium under any circumstances the infection needs to get out of your body, imodium will only prolong the agaony. Drink plenty of water 5 pints per day.

paulyoung666
01-08-2003, 16:33
seriously , get a sample of your dump and invite your council to sample it for you , something like this could be lethal to elderly or young people , dont fancy having to do it though :p :p