PDA

View Full Version : Techs on Standby

Ricardo
31-07-2004, 22:16
Do NTL have 24/7 techs on standby to fix problems with it's services.

E.G. http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

Pritch
31-07-2004, 22:39
There are techs on standby, many of whom know only too well what it feels like to sit next to a cabinet on a cold, wet night rebuilding it after a car has taken a few hundred lines out.

td444
31-07-2004, 22:44
I'd imagine so, for core services at the very least, standard industry practise.

johnwileqs1
31-07-2004, 22:45
yep, i'm one of them but not this week. :D

Ricardo
31-07-2004, 22:52
Lucky Dude. I work for a utility company and have been rostered on 24/7 this week. Finish Mon 8am thankfully.

peacedude2k4
01-08-2004, 01:11
Times like this u realise how much work u guys put into this NTL tell ya what next one who comes to my house I'll shove ya a bacon sarnie on :D

Ricardo
01-08-2004, 09:10

I hope they don't pay better than my firm, although that wouldn't be difficult. :rolleyes:

We get £120 approx for a week of 24/7 cover and O/T when we're out.

Escapee
01-08-2004, 15:06
I hope they don't pay better than my firm, although that wouldn't be difficult. :rolleyes:

We get £120 approx for a week of 24/7 cover and O/T when we're out.

It used to be $14 a day when I was last on call for ntl about 4+ years ago, that was a massive $98 a week. It might sound OK to people on low wages but remember that's 24/7 so all day Saturday $14 and all day Sunday $14.

They used to only give you a day off in lieu for a bank holiday if you were called out and worked over x amount of hours, I know we had that locally and it was the managers discretion and we had to keep quiet. You could spend all bank holiday sitting at home for $14 a day and not get time off in lieu if you didn't get called out, I know other departments got $25 for the same and there was a big fuss about it. The worst part I hated was customer care would wake you up at 3am by calling your house phone when you weren't on call, they once said we are not sure who's on call can you tell us because we dont want to go waking everyone.

It was for a bl**dy switch fault that was nothing to do with me if I had been on call. :mad:

Ricardo
01-08-2004, 17:32
They used to only give you a day off in lieu for a bank holiday if you were called out and worked over x amount of hours, :mad:We get a lieu day for B/Hols as well and it's not dependant on whether you get called out either, but I'd rather still not be on the roster at all, it makes it a long week.

paulyoung666
01-08-2004, 17:42
We get a lieu day for B/Hols as well and it's not dependant on whether you get called out either, but I'd rather still not be on the roster at all, it makes it a long week.

but a job is a job is it not ;) , i used to be on call 1 week out of 3 sometimes , usually it was 2 weeks out of 3 because the company i worked for couldnt keep employees for very long , what did i get for being on call ........... a mobile phone so i could be contacted , be grateful ;)
and before anyone says it .......... the money was *****e , but a job is a job if it pays the bills :erm: