PDA

View Full Version : Broadband problems - Hertfordshire

danvitale
30-07-2004, 15:01
Hi, since yesterday morning my Broadband connection has been down (two green lights on the cable modem flashing, not the usual four + activity light).

Looking at the NTL service status (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus) and calling the Service Status recorded message (0800 052 4315) has NTL saying that they do not have any faults for our area.

However, calling up NTL's Broadband Support (0845 650 0121) has a recorded message saying that there are major problems in the Stevenage, Royston, Bishops Stortford (where I live) areas and then other places.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Im having to resort to playing Farcry! (not that this is a bad thing.... ;) ) Its just that I wish they would come out and say theres an issue rather than confuse the hell out of me (which isnt hard!)

Thanks for anyones thoughts!!

Dan

Neil
30-07-2004, 15:06
Without wishing to sound funny.....

They have told you that there is an issue in Bishop's Stortford....

However, calling up NTL's Broadband Support (0845 650 0121) has a recorded message saying that there are major problems in the Stevenage, Royston, Bishops Stortford (where I live) areas and then other places.

Although I agree it's a case of left hand/right hand as per usual with ntl.

(does the left hand even know that the right hand exists?) :erm:

Who knows? :shrug: :p:

danvitale
30-07-2004, 15:36
Yep, they quoted me a number of postcodes and CM23 (the Bishops Stortford area) was one of them!

bump
30-07-2004, 23:07
Yeah, I'm having problems in Stortford too. Do yours include keep getting diconnected? I keep having to restart or disabling the modem and then re-enabling in Network Connections. Bandwidth tests also come out very low! Just had 4 between 24 and 114.

The same for you? :rolleyes:

danvitale
31-07-2004, 09:44
Im not being able to connect at all. Cant even go to 192.168.100.1 to see what the modem is doing!

I have a Surfboard 4100, and all its been doing since thursday morning is have the power led on, then either the receive led flashing, or the led light on and the send led flashing!! :(

danvitale
02-08-2004, 16:30
Update..

..well.. not much to update really.. still no service (its Monday afternoon). A recorded message on the Broadband Support line still says that there are problems, but the other NTL status pages/recorded messages are still not indicating a problem..

I sent them an email asking what the hell is going on.. but no reply.. Still.. got to the Bunker now in Far Cry.. good game.

Neil
02-08-2004, 16:34
Update..

..well.. not much to update really.. still no service (its Monday afternoon). A recorded message on the Broadband Support line still says that there are problems, but the other NTL status pages/recorded messages are still not indicating a problem..

I sent them an email asking what the hell is going on.. but no reply.. Still.. got to the Bunker now in Far Cry.. good game.

Have you actually rung ntl & spoken to Tech Support?

Your problem may not be related to what is going on elsewhere in your area.....

danvitale
02-08-2004, 20:41
Nope. Just came off the phone after another 30 mins of holding on for Tech Support.. Still no answer (Ive tried calling three times since Friday night now). Thats why I sent them an email.

Watchman
02-08-2004, 21:37
just to nark you a tad, I'm in BS and have no problems and haven't had since an early hours outage the middle of last week.

haven't done a speed test but was getting good speeds dl-ing from :erm: soulseek earlier this evening - OK, I know, I was pinching your bandwidth!!!!!! :Yikes:

danvitale
03-08-2004, 11:22
You see.. thats just not fair! ;)

So it looks like maybe there was an outage around our area last week, that some have recovered from and some havent.. Hmmm....

(still no service today, by the way)..

Watchman
04-08-2004, 06:27
i'd get onto them again mate.

have they checked that it is a service thing in your area and not a local thing to you? very techie description but what the heck.

Earlier this year they had to replace some cable between me and the box as an upgrade because i wasnt' getting enough power or summat?!?!! Got VFM for that, two seperate engineer visits and a team in the road putting the new cable in!

which area are you in? I'm based on the old footie pitch - if you know where I mean!? (pm me if you need the exact road etc)

Ben
04-08-2004, 08:39
Well my service is ok reacently (stevenage) so I would just hold on the phone fro TS m8

Stuart
04-08-2004, 10:08
Im not being able to connect at all. Cant even go to 192.168.100.1 to see what the modem is doing!

I have a Surfboard 4100, and all its been doing since thursday morning is have the power led on, then either the receive led flashing, or the led light on and the send led flashing!! :(
TBH, if you can't even log on to the Modem locally, it sounds like the modem is up the creek.

danvitale
04-08-2004, 13:27
Yep, that could be it... I'll have to keep that in mind....

OK. Here we go. After last nights "fault on the fault line" episode, I managed to get a list of the area codes having "Degraded or Complete loss of Service". This is from NTL's Broadband Internet Support line (0845 650 0121)

Area codes are:

CM17, CM18, CM23
SG1, SG2, SG5, SG6, SG12, SG15
GU12, GU14
EN1, EN6, EN7, EN8, EN9, EN10
AL9, AL10

I live in the CM23 area, and its now been six days since I had a broadband connection.

gohadz
07-08-2004, 22:39
Hmm, anyone in Stevenage area having trouble with internet tonight?

nwc1000
08-08-2004, 18:29
Hello Dan where you at the Boys High?????? I was................. My postcode is CM23 too and all is fine as usual was a bit odd on saturday but all is fine now.

Nick

danvitale
09-08-2004, 08:37
I was Nick :D

Latest on my Broadband is that I spoke to Tech Support again yesterday, this time they said again that there was problems in the CM23 area, however, the chap said even so my BB should not have been offline for ten days (first time that theyve said that). He has passed on the details and NTL are going to call me on my mobile to arrange an engineer visit.

Watchman
09-08-2004, 19:06
Hello Dan where you at the Boys High?????? I was................. My postcode is CM23 too and all is fine as usual was a bit odd on saturday but all is fine now.

Nick

interestingly enough, i went to the boys high as well :Yikes:

nwc1000
09-08-2004, 21:11
Spooky eh!!!!!!!!!

Dan was same year as me!!!!!

My BB is soooooo slow tonight its unreal.

Nick

Rik
09-08-2004, 21:30
I was Nick :D

however, the chap said even so my BB should not have been offline for ten days (first time that theyve said that). .
If your connection has been out of action for 10 days then I would think you eligible for a nice wad of compensation if NTL are at fault?

danvitale
11-08-2004, 12:01
I hope so Rik..

Latest update: Sad to report that NTL have still not called me on my mobile phone to arrange an engineer to visit. I was told by the chap on Sunday that they will call on Monday or Tuesday....

Ive got to go shopping tonight but will call them again once Im back home. Ugh.

danvitale
12-08-2004, 17:16
Im currently on hold again waiting to speak to someone at NTL.

Its been two weeks since I had a broadband service. I think I must have been on hold with NTL for about five hours, had spoken to NTL three times, been told once that its due to the problems in the CM23 area (on day three), been told that someone from the cable modem service team will give me a call back.. they didnt (day seven) and told that there must be a problem with my cable modem and that the engineer team will call me on my mobile by last tuesday (10th aug) and they didnt (day ten).

I think I have been more than patient with NTL, however their joke of a customer service team has finally worn my patience. To make matters worse, the bill for £50 landed through the door today. They expect me to pay for a service that I have hardly been able to use.

Once NTL pick up the call Im currently in the middle of, Im going to make it simple. Get an engineer in on Saturday or I cancel the Direct Debit.

Dan

Update: got through to CS, they in turn put me through to my local engineer team, my call got picked up at 17:38, theyre going to check the call ticker and call me back.

Watchman
12-08-2004, 23:39
good luck!!

push for compensation.

or tell them you'll dump the whole fckn lot there and then and look at sky and adsl

time to be ruthless :mad:

Chris W
13-08-2004, 01:03
they didnt (day seven) and told that there must be a problem with my cable modem and that the engineer team will call me on my mobile by last tuesday (10th aug) and they didnt (day ten).

to be fair to them the cambridge fault management centre did have to be evacuated on tuesday because of flooding...

danvitale
13-08-2004, 08:11
Monkeybreath, fully understandable regarding the flooding.

Watchman, Ive already gone to Sky, so ADSL is already an option, Im looking at what packages are out there at the moment.

I was called back twice yesterday (in fact three times, the lady at the other end was excellent and called me once just to say sorry for it taking so long and that they would call me back soon). I spoke to a Techie and did a few checks (Mac address, LED status, etc etc), and established that there was a problem that needed an engineer, and put me back to the lady who booked someone to come around on tuesday. So there we go, the saga continues but theres light at the end of the tunnel.

Simcut
13-08-2004, 19:17
seems like Hertfordshire is the worst hit for poor performance....

Rik
13-08-2004, 19:31
No major problems to report in Hemel Hempstead.

My Sync light when out for all of 10secs and I lost connection briefly, but soon came back on again.

danvitale
14-08-2004, 17:02
Usually the cable modem service is quite reliable, but when theres problems, its a biggie.

Anyway, to use up some time (and to cheer me up) before Tuesday.. I bought an XBox :D of course, it will be better with being able to get onto the Live service!!!

bump
14-08-2004, 18:06
Arrrr I too am having problems. Left 2 weeks ago to go on hol thinking it was something wrong at NTLs end. Anyone else having their connection dropped after a while? I have to keep disabling then enabling the cable modem through network connections. :o

I have the black Terraryon modem through USB. Should be ethernet I know, but not very "do-able" with my network atm.

Can anyone else explain their problem in more detail? I live in the Stortford/CM23 area also.

Watchman
17-08-2004, 08:11
[QUOTE=danvitale]Usually the cable modem service is quite reliable, but when theres problems, its a biggie.
QUOTE]

your right there mate. I don't usually have a prob but when I do, it usually last up to 2 weeks.

at the moment I've no probs in the CM23 area (old footie pitch to narrow it down)

danvitale
17-08-2004, 13:52
Who-hooo!! Im back online! There was a problem outside of the house (cant remember if the engineer said it was at the junction box or something.. I was too happy in watching the ACTIVITY light flashing away!).

Now, not to be arsy, but what is the compensation process for NTL like? Can I claim in the fact I havent had broadband for two weeks?

Thank you everyone for your help. Im off to register on XBox Live!!!!!

Dan

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 14:37
My broadband connection in St Albans has been out since 3/8/04, here is my chronicle of woe,

Tuesday 3/8/04 broadband service failed, tried resetting modem several times,
Wednesday 4/8/04 tried resetting modem several times to no avail, called customer service, was told after a number of tests that the problem was with broadband modem and that an engineer would be around the next day,
Thursday 5/8/04 no engineer, called customer services again, advised engineer would be there Friday,
Friday, 6/8/04, no engineer, called again, apologies provided; told would be chased up immediately as an urgent matter and someone would be in contact with me that day,
Tuesday, 10/8/04, no one had contacted me, no engineer had called and broadband still not working after a week. Called customer services again and a engineer was promised on Monday morning 16/8/04 ,
Tuesday 17/08/04, no engineer arrived as promised, and broadband still not working, so called customer services again. Was told an engineer was called out, but did not come to my home; not sure what he / she did but my service has not been fixed, and given the problem was as advised with my cable modem this did not seem appropriate. No one called to check even to see that whatever was done had resolved the problem and I waited at home all day for someone to call as promised. Was then told that an engineer would have to be re booked and the earliest was next Monday 23/8/04; a full three weeks of service outage.
so here I am still waiting and using a pay as you go dial up from another ISP to maintain connectivity. No one at NTL is doing anything or seems to care.
can any one tell me how I can get this resolved

wkbuk
17-08-2004, 14:42
I want to know the same, my connection has also been out for two weeks and they are saying it will be another..who will compensate me for the pay as you go costs ??????