PDA

View Full Version : Joining the wireless world

Boom
31-07-2003, 17:43
Just ordered a Wireless Linksys Router and Bridge. Should be here tomorrow when my comfy bean bag arrives!

fluds
31-07-2003, 17:57
You won't regret it.

Boom
31-07-2003, 18:31
I better not regret it after shelling out that much ca$h! :D

I've been holding off now for almost a year, but after having ppl fall over the XBox cable in my house now for almost 6 months, I've decided to go the extra length.

The_real_dj
31-07-2003, 18:35
cool!!! got a wireless setup my self and its spot on!!!

Never had a problem with it!!!

Good luck!!

Jarandco
31-07-2003, 19:04
Originally posted by Boom
I better not regret it after shelling out that much ca$h! :D

I've been holding off now for almost a year, but after having ppl fall over the XBox cable in my house now for almost 6 months, I've decided to go the extra length.

seriously where do u work - u seem to have an unlimited cash flow - wireless netwrok - bean bags, about 50 odd games!:eek:

ic14
31-07-2003, 19:31
Im going to try and get one as well, just want to know can you add a hub to to bridge??

Would make it a lot easier

Mantrid
31-07-2003, 19:47
Originally posted by Jarandco
seriously where do u work - u seem to have an unlimited cash flow - wireless netwrok - bean bags, about 50 odd games!:eek:

Get yourself a job in I.T. m8 ;)

Jarandco
31-07-2003, 19:57
Originally posted by Mantrid
Get yourself a job in I.T. m8 ;) I would if i could! ;)

Dont worry i will soon enough!

Boom
31-07-2003, 20:20
Down at your local! :D

Originally posted by Jarandco

As you can see I'm not the only one who has a wireless setup. As for cash flow, just happens I made some money this past month in company options. Anyway, its all swings and roundabouts, I'll be poor again in no time flat especially if the g/f has her way with the back-garden makeover. :D

Boom
01-08-2003, 08:44
omg, the router arrived at 7:30am this morning! I didn't expect it this early! The bridge arrives from a different warehouse apparently. Anyway, for the NTHW guys, I'll be offline for a bit while switching from my DHCP/DNS server with ICS for clients and a hub to the router!

Boom
01-08-2003, 10:34
Woohoo! Done. Relatively painless. Now I just have to sort out my hosting and DNS layers. Hopefully the bridge for the XBox will arrive later today.

Caspar
01-08-2003, 10:46
Nice one Boom - didn't take long :D

Boom
01-08-2003, 10:55
I was surprised cause my server was connected by usb to the stb and providing ICS/DNS/Exchange/etc. through a hub to my other clients. Thought I'd have a bit of a nightmare on my hands.

I was surprised to see the router handles DDNS, but for dyndns.org it doesn't seem to find the host I provide. Oh well, I still can use my Direct Update utility.

Originally posted by Caspar
Nice one Boom - didn't take long :D

Boom
01-08-2003, 13:49
Unfortunately I knew it was too good to be true. My Xbox can't find XBL. Obviously I've looked at Linksys and Xbox.com, but nothing really obvious. I don't seem to have an MTU location in the firmware though (I've updated it to latest). Tried port-forwarding after disabling the DHCP server on the router, but I can't even connect to the internet when I do that! Also can't connect to my networked printer! Any advise appreciated.

Exulus
01-08-2003, 13:57
Does your xbox show up in any of the router logs as trying to connect?

Did you have your PC's MAC addy in the xbox? Try deleting it from there if you have because you shoul;d now have your router set up to clone the mac addy of your pc for use with the cable modem...

fluds
01-08-2003, 13:59
On the networked printer side, if using XP pro make sure the firewall is off. I think it puts it on by default. This is a problem I have had. Other than that I found that turning on all your networked clients and then switching of the router and modem, then restaring them works for me. Some times I have to do this if I have turned the power of.
Ensure encryption is the same for all wireless points if on at all.

Boom
01-08-2003, 14:20
The xbox appears on the outgoing log under kerberos security.
Found the MTU which was on auto and now set to manual 1500.

The xbox/xbl worked fine before and i'm not going to use mac address cloning as the pc will be always 'on' in the network.

Originally posted by Exulus
Does your xbox show up in any of the router logs as trying to connect?

Did you have your PC's MAC addy in the xbox? Try deleting it from there if you have because you shoul;d now have your router set up to clone the mac addy of your pc for use with the cable modem...

Boom
01-08-2003, 14:22
Trying to setup printer from w2k server. Will try re-starting after Xbox problem, but the hp jetadmin and setup utilities at the moment can't 'see' the printer.

Originally posted by fluds
On the networked printer side, if using XP pro make sure the firewall is off. I think it puts it on by default. This is a problem I have had. Other than that I found that turning on all your networked clients and then switching of the router and modem, then restaring them works for me. Some times I have to do this if I have turned the power of.
Ensure encryption is the same for all wireless points if on at all.

Boom
01-08-2003, 14:24
Thjanks for advise, think I've found the solution. Will post back in a mo.

Boom
01-08-2003, 15:23
Who's your daddy? Sorted. Thanks guys. Changed both the Wet11 and the Xbox to manual ip's and then allowed port forwarding. The documentation on linksys's site sucks @ss! Now for the printer.

Boom
05-08-2003, 12:47
Just in case anyone else is interested in wireless, Gamespy are providing a hardware guide for wireless this week:

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/june03/wireless/

Boom
06-08-2003, 10:23
Complete monkeys at Gamespy are only concerned with a PC setup and not a console setup. Todays article installment for wireless setup only covers an accesspoint and not a bridge.

I think the majority of people who are going want a wireless setup at home are going to be the people who don't wires running through hallways to get to the console/TV as opposed to having it near a PC which is most likely is either going to be the connex point or in group located close together (like a study or office room).

The only other big group are people who 'share' their connex with their immediate neighbors which I'm sure is a breach of most BB companies rules. I'm thinking NTL probably have some kind of regulation in addition to the max number of PC's operating.

Originally posted by Boom
Just in case anyone else is interested in wireless, Gamespy are providing a hardware guide for wireless this week:

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/june03/wireless/

Boom
06-08-2003, 22:30
Yeah, we already have wireless (one of the employee lives next door to the office! Sad!), but unfortunately, I need the connection to be outside the firewall which issn't going to happen over wireless.

Originally posted by morris
boom you should move close to your work, then you can stick that wireless thing in your works conection when no one's looking.