PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen BT's new ad?

Gareth
28-07-2004, 11:30
...the one where they talk about some companies who are only interested in attracting new customers with special offers, but who don't care about those customers once their signed-up?

Ring any bells? (no pun intended!) I reckon their advertising moguls must browse this forum from time to time :D :D :D

Hopefully, ntl will eventually catch on to what proactive companies are realising now, so maybe in a few years' time, we'll see them starting to look after us, their existing customer base.

orangebird
28-07-2004, 12:48
...the one where they talk about some companies who are only interested in attracting new customers with special offers, but who don't care about those customers once their signed-up?

Ring any bells? (no pun intended!) I reckon their advertising moguls must browse this forum from time to time :D :D :D

Hopefully, ntl will eventually catch on to what proactive companies are realising now, so maybe in a few years' time, we'll see them starting to look after us, their existing customer base.

It's not just ntl that could learn a thing or two from that advert...every other company I have dealings with could too - name me one credit card company, or mobile phone company that gives special offers to existing customers?...

seaneeboy
28-07-2004, 12:53
Egg recently brought in discounts at certain shops for all customers, Orange do 2-4-1 cinema tickets for all users - that said they're not just for long-serving customers... and the current problems i'm having with orange - oooh, don't get me started!

Gareth
28-07-2004, 14:12
true, mobile phone companies need to address this issue too.

I don't have a credit card (cause they're evil), so can not really comment on those..... although CC companies do seem to offer a lot of incentives to make people switch. It is, however, easier to switch credit card than it is to switch cable provider.

Neil
28-07-2004, 14:38
It's not just ntl that could learn a thing or two from that advert...every other company I have dealings with could too - name me one credit card company, or mobile phone company that gives special offers to existing customers?...

This is where (IMO) the law should be changed regarding 12 month (or sometimes longer depending on the product in question) contracts.

An unhappy customer will not leave a company-even if they are only on a 1 day contract, so if companies only tied you to (for instance) a 1 month contract (knowing you could leave within 4 weeks), they would work much harder than they do now to look after their existing customer base.

orangebird
28-07-2004, 14:52
This is where (IMO) the law should be changed regarding 12 month (or sometimes longer depending on the product in question) contracts.

An unhappy customer will not leave a company-even if they are only on a 1 day contract, so if companies only tied you to (for instance) a 1 month contract (knowing you could leave within 4 weeks), they would work much harder than they do now to look after their existing customer base.

Very true. I just transfer my cc balances around for the interest free period and as soon as it ends, move on. I'm thinking about doing this every year with my mobile phone network provider too.... If I can't get any deals as an existing customer, I'll just move on and be a new customer getting associated deals somewhere else... :shrug: :)

Neil
28-07-2004, 15:13
Very true. I just transfer my cc balances around for the interest free period and as soon as it ends, move on. I'm thinking about doing this every year with my mobile phone network provider too.... If I can't get any deals as an existing customer, I'll just move on and be a new customer getting associated deals somewhere else... :shrug: :)

The trouble with that is that they don't make it particularly easy to port your number, & most peeps want to keep numbers & don't want to be without a phone, so end up staying with the same provider that they wanted to leave solely because of the number. :rolleyes:

That should change IMHO, & it should be instantly transferable & should belong to you.

orangebird
28-07-2004, 16:27
The trouble with that is that they don't make it particularly easy to port your number, & most peeps want to keep numbers & don't want to be without a phone, so end up staying with the same provider that they wanted to leave solely because of the number. :rolleyes:

That should change IMHO, & it should be instantly transferable & should belong to you.

I've changed from Orange to t-mobile recently, and kept the same number.... Every provider is capable of porting numbers from one to another..

Neil
28-07-2004, 18:16
I've changed from Orange to t-mobile recently, and kept the same number.... Every provider is capable of porting numbers from one to another..

I know they are capable (which was why I said that they don't make it easy) ;) :angel:

scrotnig
28-07-2004, 18:46

Something would have to be done, though, to combat the number of customers who 'just change their mind' less than a month after install.

Fair comment if the install was poor or the bill gets messed up, but I deal with many customers who 'just don't really want it after all' after a couple of weeks, and the costs of installs is often huge.

If new customers are allowed to do this sort of thing, then longer serving customers would end up paying more to subsidise all the pointless cancellations....this would apply to the likes of Sky as well, as they'd be similarly affected. And please don't anyone come in and tell me Sky never has dissatisfied customers because I shall be forced to scream at you!

Ultimately, the more people want, the higher the cost will go. Sky might make multi-bumpkin-billions, but ntl don't and neither company is doing this for charity.

Neil
28-07-2004, 19:09
Something would have to be done, though, to combat the number of customers who 'just change their mind' less than a month after install.

Fair comment if the install was poor or the bill gets messed up, but I deal with many customers who 'just don't really want it after all' after a couple of weeks, and the costs of installs is often huge.
I absolutely agree with you Mark, & as long as the company has done everything on their part correctly & above board, then there is nothing to stop them enforcing any 'costs' on the customer IMO.

If new customers are allowed to do this sort of thing, then longer serving customers would end up paying more to subsidise all the pointless cancellations....this would apply to the likes of Sky as well, as they'd be similarly affected. And please don't anyone come in and tell me Sky never has dissatisfied customers because I shall be forced to scream at you!
No arguement from me m8-I agree that companies also need protecting, but more often than not, they have done something v poor down the line, & the customer will exploit that (& vice versa)

Ultimately, the more people want, the higher the cost will go. Sky might make multi-bumpkin-billions, but ntl don't
Hmm-I'm sure there's a good reason for that m8. ;)

and neither company is doing this for charity.
True, but unless you keep your customers happy, then they may as well be.

scrotnig
28-07-2004, 19:16
I absolutely agree with you Mark, & as long as the company has done everything on their part correctly & above board, then there is nothing to stop them enforcing any 'costs' on the customer IMO.

The problem is, if you do away with some form of binding contract, they cannot enforce it. You can change the twelve month contract to 'if you cancel within the year for no good reason we charge you' but what's the difference? Customer can already get out of the contract if the company stuff up and don't put it right quickly....in extreme cases, even if they DO put it right quickly....and I've known this done so it isn't a myth. Contrary to popular belief, ntl are usually much more flexible on this than Sky or BT who tend to defend their corner to the death.

No arguement from me m8-I agree that companies also need protecting, but more often than not, they have done something v poor down the line, & the customer will exploit that (& vice versa)

Very true, I spend a lot of my time mopping up messes. But it should always be kept in context. Many more customer don't have problems than do.

Hmm-I'm sure there's a good reason for that m8. ;)

Poor investments in the late nineties probably accounts for much of it.

True, but unless you keep your customers happy, then they may as well be.
I bang the drum about this so often I get bored with it. But I can certainly see vast improvements in the way the company works, certainly since I've been there. It really IS getting better.

The sad thing is...I did my bit to help it get better, and I won't be there to see it when it all comes together :(

themelon
19-10-2004, 09:18
Strange really because all BT do is treat all customers with the same terrible treatment from day 1.

Like my mum.........on the Standard Plan of £9.50 with £2 free calls.........moved on to the £1 more expensive option 1 without being asked or told...where she now has a bill of around £15 because she rings a lot of people for a few minutes or less she now pays 5.5p everytime she dials minimum on top of £10.50 in the first place. Good one BT

ntl customer
23-10-2004, 23:16
Also has anybody seen the BT Broadband adverts in the press?

Don't know about anyone else, but I find them extremely patronising and treating you as if you know nothing in order to push their products.

scrotnig
23-10-2004, 23:31
Also has anybody seen the BT Broadband adverts in the press?

Don't know about anyone else, but I find them extremely patronising and treating you as if you know nothing in order to push their products.
That's because a lot of people DO know nothing. And companies push for 'newbies' because they are not heavy users.

The whole focus of ISPs is often wrong and needs realigning.

Plus, they should start bundling Firefox.

Ignition
24-10-2004, 19:49
That's because a lot of people DO know nothing. And companies push for 'newbies' because they are not heavy users.

The whole focus of ISPs is often wrong and needs realigning.

There we'll agree to disagree. Where ISPs consciously chase heavier users they usually end up having issues with contention, Bulldog for example.

The newbies are the people who make the relatively low prices that the heavier downloaders pay possible by subsidising their bandwidth for them.

ISPs won't make any money nor would they be able to provide the performance levels they do without having the lighter users on board to both bulk the profits up and keep contention workable and sane.

20:1 being required to maintain performance is fairly unpleasant. Get enough heavy users on board and 10:1 soon becomes inadequate.