PDA

View Full Version : Broadband problems in Hampshire?

savalas
27-07-2004, 09:04
Just wondered if there is maintenance or a problem causing broadband disruption in the Romsey/Southampton area, my broadband has been severly disrupted last 48 hours, modem is not disconnecting but websites fail to load intermittently and things seem to be slowing up at times. anyone know?

dareusj
27-07-2004, 09:09
Yep there is an intermittent problem in the Southampton on the NTL: service status page. Been going on since 30th April

Broadband customers in the Southampton area may currently be experiencing a degraded service such as slow browsing or intermittent access to email. In some cases service may also be lost completely. Our engineers are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any incovnenience this may cause.

savalas
27-07-2004, 09:12
thanks for that info, although this has only been going on for the last 48 hours... was fine before that :confused:

daveoc
27-07-2004, 09:15
Savalas,

I'm in the same area and had this problem last night.

Running slow, sites not loading. In the end I gave up and this morning it seems to be ok again.

Dave

savalas
27-07-2004, 09:26
cheers Dave.. good to know its not an individual fault at my end

John Doe
27-07-2004, 12:04
Its been a bit flaky in winchester for a few weeks, is dropping off every morning at around 11 this week.

A lot of noise has appeared on the channels which is why everything has gone pap. Southampton (SO15/16) was always bad but its has now spread to Romsey and Winchester, i think they must have done something.

Its all because of the Videotron infrastrusture which wasnt designed to cope with digital... and it isnt.

savalas
27-07-2004, 13:40
Anyone know if a technical solution is being worked on for this?

Neil
27-07-2004, 13:43
Anyone know if a technical solution is being worked on for this?

Broadband customers in the Southampton area may currently be experiencing a degraded service such as slow browsing or intermittent access to email. In some cases service may also be lost completely. Our engineers are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any incovnenience this may cause.

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

Apparently, they've been working on it since the end of April....

Sounds about right to me. ;)

savalas
27-07-2004, 14:15
yeah know what you mean ;)

John Doe
28-07-2004, 12:55
http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

Apparently, they've been working on it since the end of April....

Sounds about right to me. ;)
Thats a bit optomistic for you isn't it Neil?

Its actually closer to early November 2003 :)

Neil
28-07-2004, 12:58
Thats a bit optomistic for you isn't it Neil?

Its actually closer to early November 2003 :)

Ok then, they only acknowledged the fault in April 2003. ;)

John Doe
28-07-2004, 13:09
Well yes. It was something that if you asked about they would tell you. Not everything used to go on the server status page (and i assume it still doesnt). The fault is intermittent so 90% of poeple in SO15/16 would not have been aware of it or known that their SNR level was closer to 10 than 20 and their modem would re-boot 10-15 times a week.

I think it was around April that the new server status page was published so they probably reviewed what went on the (server status) page - possibly made it dynamic from what was already on the internal tools.

Ignition
28-07-2004, 15:03
John - is you a local Hampshire blokey, if you are would like a chat if you have a min.

s0d
29-07-2004, 15:14
I've been having these problems nearly every day since October last year, after many engineers out it's still the same :(

A friend had an engineer out earlier and they said they'll be balancing later on so it should get better :Sprint:

Ignition
29-07-2004, 20:08
Balancing is about as relevant to this as a bicycle is to a fish to be honest.

gatj98
06-08-2004, 19:06
We are in fleet and are having problems as well. The uplink seems to die after 30-60 mins. We have a router and rebooting that (which renews the ntl ip address) brings the service back for a while. I think it's a dns problem - when the uplink goes - ie webpages won't load - I can still ping ip addresses - for example our UBR responds when i ping it. But trying to ping a server using it's dns name results in a look-up failure. Typing dig www.nthellworld.co.uk (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk) on my linux box produces an error message.

Just done a Dan Elwell speed test - all the pings timed out, and download speed was only 130kbps when it's supposed to be 600kpbs!

My linux box is set up as a dns server for our network, it passes out requests to the ntl servers for non-local addresses and caches the responses. This set up (router & server) has been happily running for nearly two years, so when things suddenly started playing up a few weeks ago I'm not very inclined to believe it's my system. I've tried connecting one computer directly to the modem and it still plays up.

Neil
06-08-2004, 19:18
Do you get the same problem without your router, just using the standard set up?

gatj98
08-08-2004, 11:33
I tried a direct connection yesterday for an hour or so and it seemed to be fine. I have tried it before and it played up though. Anyway on the basis of yesterdays test it looks like my router is on the blink. I've ordered a new one and I'll see what happens when it arrives. I've gone for a draytek router this time, a 2104P. The old one is a netgear RT314

daveoc
10-08-2004, 10:50
I'm having real problems in the SO16 area this morning.

It's as if someone is turning a tap on and off---I get BB fine for a minute and then nothing works for 3-4 minutes before it's back for a minute.

I know there are a few more in this area---anyone else getting this?

Dave

Ignition
10-08-2004, 14:06
I'm having real problems in the SO16 area this morning.

It's as if someone is turning a tap on and off---I get BB fine for a minute and then nothing works for 3-4 minutes before it's back for a minute.

I know there are a few more in this area---anyone else getting this?

Dave

I'm actually quite surprised to see someone in SO16 with cable internet. Your postcode isn't SO16 3 is it?

daveoc
10-08-2004, 16:25
No it isn't.

I've had it for a couple of years now.Why such a surprise?

It's still not working right though.

Dave