PDA

View Full Version : Broadband with router

d02yww
22-07-2004, 02:36
I'm new to this forum I was just hoping someone could help me out with configuring NTL broadband with my router?

At the moment i receive NTL broadband through a STB which connects to my pc via a USB-to-ethernet adapter and everything works fine. However I want to share the internet connection with other pcs on my network.

The router i am using is a netgear DG824M combined adsl modem, wireless router. I have tried to use XP network setup to use XP ICS but I am only able to access the network and the internet.

I have tried plugging the ethernet cable (currently going into the USB adapter) straight into the router but I am not sure of what settings to use.

----------------------------------

I then get the question

'Does your internet connection require a login?'

----------------------------------
IF I SELECT NO I GET THIS

Account Name (If Required)
Domain Name (If Required)

Internet IP Address
OR
Get Dynamically From ISP

Use Static IP Address
-IP Address
-IP Subnet Mask ...
-Gateway IP Address ...

OR

Use IP Over ATM (IPoA)
-IP Address
-IP Subnet Mask ...
-Gateway IP Address ...

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
-Get Automatically From ISP
-Use These DNS Servers
--Primary DNS ...
--Secondary DNS ...

Gateway's MAC Address
-Use Default Address
-Use This Computer's MAC Address
-Use This MAC Address

(If I spoof the MAC address of the pc that is currently online then its presumably needs to be the MAC address of the USB adapter??)
-------------------------

IF I SELECT YES I GET THIS

Encapsulation PPPoE(PPP over Ethernet) OR PPPoA(PPP over ATM)

Login
Password
Service Name (If Required)
Idle Timeout (minutes)

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically From ISP
Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS ...
Secondary DNS

---------------------------------

Does anyone know which settings i should go for? The fact that I can get the network running ok but not ICS suggests to me that the router's own internet settings are taking priority over those of the XP ICS. Would anyone know what form the 'login' would take if i were to fill that bit in? Any help gratefully received. Thankyou in advance.

Matthew ;)

Paul
22-07-2004, 02:46
I'm not sure how much use you can make of this as it's designed for ADSL. You don't login to Cable.

JonathanLH
22-07-2004, 03:11
i have used those routers before on adsl, they don't have an ethernet wan port, so can't be used, sorry :(