PDA

View Full Version : NTL's Virus Trap

lincsat
20-07-2004, 18:03
Came home at Lunchtime and found my CM offline, I re-booted and it came back to life. Went to surf the internet and whatever site I tried to access, I got re-directed to an NTL page claiming I was infected with the NetSky Virus.

I thought this was strange as I keep upto date Virus scanners and firewalls active all the time with regular checks. I did a scan with f-secure and un-surprisingly it came back negative. Next I downloaded the tool that the NTL page requested, again it was clean. I re-booted everything and still no access to anything except this damn NTL page: http://outbreak.ntli.net/

I left everything for a couple of hours and still no joy, so I phoned TS, they noted everything and said it would be passed on to another dept. who apparantly don't have a contact phone number :rolleyes:

It's now some 6 hours later and I have only managed to connect by specifying a proxy, if I use default settings - no connection :mad:

I accept that locking out a user with a virus is a good idea, but when it's a false alarm, there aught to be some process for getting re-connected straight away. There is the bigger problem - without knowing what triggered this in the first place, it's likely to happen again.

The cynic in me suspects this had something to do with me complaining about NTL welching on their agreement to indefinately give a £5/month discount for buying my cable modem!

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 18:09
i find it weird that you can connect using a proxy , i would have thought that if ntl had blocked your access then no amount of poxy swapping would have got you online :confused:

lincsat
20-07-2004, 18:18
I find it weird too, maybe it's a port thing, the proxy's at set at port 8080.

Update: about 20 minutes after changing the proxy server, my e-mail started working again, so I've gone back to default proxy settings and everything is working OK. I wonder how long it'll be before I get locked out again.