PDA

View Full Version : Dead cable modem!

mr_baz
20-07-2004, 17:45
Help! Please help! I am broadbandless and its killing me!

My ntlhome 200 modem has died! PSU ok but no lights on modem...

Whats the best way of getting a new one? Can I get one from ntl (without paying a fortune) or can I buy an aftermarket one, I have seen ads on ebay for Motorola surfboards?

Advice greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Baz

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 17:52
hi and :welcome: to the site , it is supplied as part of your monthly payment to ntl , so ring em up and get them to sort it , btw , i hope you enjoy your stay here :D :D :D

SMHarman
20-07-2004, 17:54
The benefits of NTL. It's not your SACM it's theirs. Their CM has died and a call to CS will mean an engineer will come along and replace it with another working one. 0800 052 2000 should do you right, though I think there is a specific BB support line.

If you ask nicely they should even compensate you for the days you cannot use your BB service (£17/31= 50p/day for 150k)

:welcome: to CF.

mr_baz
20-07-2004, 17:55
Thanks for the welcome! I have been lurking for a while now...!!

Oh cool, I'll call them back! They told me before that any problems with the cablem modem would result in an engineering visit and a minimum 50 pound call out?!!! I'll try again!!

I'll keep you informed!
Baz

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 17:57

Oh cool, I'll call them back! They told me before that any problems with the cablem modem would result in an engineering visit and a minimum 50 pound call out?!!! I'll try again!!

I'll keep you informed!
Baz

that old cherry again , stick to your guns and ask them politely to get it sorted sharpish , dont scream and ball at them it wont help your cause ;)

mr_baz
20-07-2004, 18:00
I am on hold now.... I am making myself comfortable... :)Baz

SMHarman
20-07-2004, 18:03

I'll keep you informed!
Baz
Any problems that can be sorted without an engineering visit they can charge a £50 call out, basically if you are too crap to follow thier instructions. If it is dead, when they try to test it on line they will find they cannot see it. Then they should send an engineer around. Its to try to prevent time waster visits. Yours sounds valid, if you have no lights on your CM then unless the circuit it is plugged inot has tripped (when your PC would also stop workign) there is a genuine fault.

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 18:06
Any problems that can be sorted without an engineering visit they can charge a £50 call out, basically if you are too crap to follow thier instructions. If it is dead, when they try to test it on line they will find they cannot see it. Then they should send an engineer around. Its to try to prevent time waster visits. Yours sounds valid, if you have no lights on your CM then unless the circuit it is plugged inot has tripped (when your PC would also stop workign) there is a genuine fault.

:tu: :)

mr_baz
20-07-2004, 18:13
Thanks for the info.... Whens best to call them? Are they 24h, cos I have just had to hang up after an eternity on hold!

quadplay
20-07-2004, 18:16
Technical Support (0845 650 0121 for Langley network customers or 0845 650 0925 for Bromley network customers) is open 8am-midnight, 7 days. Customer Services/Faults (0800 052 2000) are open 8am-8pm, Mon-Fri and 9am-5pm Saturday (depending on area - some are open until 6pm on Saturdays). Best time to call TS is after 10pm, or around lunchtime at the moment for some reason.

EDIT: By the way, how do you know the power supply is OK?

paulyoung666
20-07-2004, 18:17
Thanks for the info.... Whens best to call them? Are they 24h, cos I have just had to hang up after an eternity on hold!

did you ring 0800 052 2000 ????????? , as it is a freephone number then i would stay on the line until they answer , iirc c.s. is open until 8-00 pm , t.s. is open until midnight :)

edit :- what area are you in ???????????

mr_baz
20-07-2004, 19:09
I'll give em another call... Had to hang up, another call (I am at work after all!!! :-) )

I am in Colchester, Essex....

Marge
20-07-2004, 20:44
I'll give em another call... Had to hang up, another call (I am at work after all!!! :-) )

I am in Colchester, Essex....

You may find that they will request for you to be at home while they run some tests with you :D :D

mrmassive
20-07-2004, 22:57
I killed one cable modem with a rum n coke :mad: So I can't comment on this subject much. :D

JonathanLH
21-07-2004, 01:11
* wonders what happens if it were to conduct the power supply onto the coax cable *
(at least it's only 9v? unlike the motorola's 240v)

mr_baz
21-07-2004, 08:37
An update!! (After lots of time on the phone.....!)

I believe the power supply to be good as I have tried another aftermarket one (rated exactly the same output)..... However, NTL have insisted on shipping out another power supply and won't ship out a modem until the psu has been replaced...! I am waiting patiently for delivery tommorow, then I'll call back and say it still won't work!!! :)

Cheers,

Baz

JonathanLH
21-07-2004, 09:54
since you told them that you've tried an alternative power supply, they may now say "due to you using a non-ntl cable modem power supply, you are liable for the damage and have to pay for a new cable modem" :(

mr_baz
21-07-2004, 09:58
Nope... I didn't tell them that part for that very reason... Hence why I am playing along and patiently waiting for a PSU!!! :)