PDA

View Full Version : New router, advice please

PC_Arcade
30-07-2003, 10:10
I'm looking at either the Linksys BEFSR41 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37451),the Netgear RP614 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=35433)
or the D-link DI-604 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=41592) to replace the godawful Belkin F5D-5230-4 (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200302&pcount=&Product_Id=122187&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWiredN etworking%2FCableDSL%2E%2E%2EyRouters%2F).

The router will be used with 2 desktop PCs, 1 Xbox and 1 Laptop, Running (where Applicable) Windows XP Pro. More importantly I will also be running Emule (which the Belkin seems to have REAL problems with, hence the change).

Has anyone used either of these, good points, bad points? is one better than the other. ATM I'm leaning more towards the Linksys (only because I like the design!), but I'm open to suggestions (or help with the Belkin!)

Look forward to your suggestions

danielf
30-07-2003, 10:27
I use the linksys. It's been very easy to set up, and I have not had any problems with it. (But I don't use it for anything fancy, though I do use p2p occassionally)

One thing you might want to consider is getting an 8 port router, as you will be using all ports with your pcs, xbox and laptop. Though it sounds like you already have your entire house wired up, an 8 port router would give you the option to expand.

Juan
29-02-2004, 00:53
I know this is an old thread but I was looking to get a router and wondering if it is worth choosing the one with the longest warranty? i.e. the Linksys warranty is only one year whereas Netgear is three. One year doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product or are routers generally very reliable?

Florence
29-02-2004, 00:57
I know this is an old thread but I was looking to get a router and wondering if it is worth choosing the one with the longest warranty? i.e. the Linksys warranty is only one year whereas Netgear is three. One year doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the product or are routers generally very reliable?

Had my linksys for over a year and still going strong never had much trouble just watch which version you have as the firmware is different for the later versions.

chriscl
29-02-2004, 11:22
Well I'll chip in with a plug for NetGear I have the funky silver 802.11g router, with a three-year wrranty, and have had no problems with it at all...it just *works*!

Also, one other thing that might be relevant - NetGear's Support team are very good. Email sent to them is answered usually within a day (which is good compared to some....) and the replies I've had have been of a very high standard, answering the questions without useless automated replies, and giving me the info I need without messing around!

Also, I've just bought three Linksys routers for work, Linksys are now a part of Cisco (as the new ones are branded: "Linksys - a division of Cisco Systems") so that is bound to have a good upwards effect on their products!!

HTH!

Juan
29-02-2004, 16:39
Any1 know if the Netgear RP614 supports uPNP? Doesn't say on the Netgear site.

Nor
29-02-2004, 16:41
I have the SR41 linksys for a few weeks now. Not had a problem with it. Use it for another pc and my xbox. It was plug in and play. No problem with p2p either.

DrAwesome
29-02-2004, 16:58

I use a Linksys Befsr41 i bought it from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00005KAC7/system-requirements/ref%3Ded%5Ftec%5Fdp%5F2%5F1/202-7460845-0460632) the postage is still free if you decide to buy from Amazon you can help NTHW by using the Amazon banner link.

I have had my Linksys for over 1 year & had no major problems with it i also use a Netgear router in line with the linksys & they work very well together.

Jon T
29-02-2004, 17:01
I've got a Netgear MR814v2 and had no problems with it so far. It does support Universal Plug and Play(upnp), only think i have noticed is that the port forwarding doesn't give you a protocol option9ie TCP or UDP).

Jon

timewarrior2001
29-02-2004, 17:21
I bought a cheap BenQ router, 4 ports, NAT. Nothing flash it sits there and does its job.
Not used Xbox love, but XBconnect works fine through it.

Seb
29-02-2004, 19:24
I have the Di-604 have done for over a year now. Works well, the logs always show it to be doing something. I have also recently set it up to map ports for my dynamic domain which i have aquired. Can not grumble with it, extremely good, doe the job well :D