PDA

View Full Version : Static IP Addresses

xathras
19-07-2004, 12:41
Is it possible to get a static ip address for ntlworld home broadband?

While i know that your more than likely to keep the same ip, it could change, although I do have a resolver from no-ip which auto updates it would be nice to know if i could get a static one?

Chris
19-07-2004, 12:45
I don't believe it is possible on any of their domestic packages. You would have to become a business customer instead (£Ãà †â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ÃƒÃ ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£Ãƒâ↚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£Ãƒâ€Š¡ÃƒÆ’‚£Ã‚Ãà ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£).

If you want a static IP then there are a number of ADSL options. I'm no expert, but don't you get better upstream bandwidth on ADSL, which presumably you would be interested in if a static IP addy is important to you?

Bifta
Is it possible to get a static ip address for ntlworld home broadband?

No.

Neil
Static I.Ps are not available for residential customers.

Your no-ip resolver is your only option-that give you a 'static' address anyway, why change that?

[Edit]-Beaten to it!

Paul
19-07-2004, 12:50
Static IP's are not availale on NTL at all - apparently even the business packages use static entries in DHCP - so in theory your IP can change.

slimshady
19-07-2004, 13:30
Static IP's are not availale on NTL at all - apparently even the business packages use static entries in DHCP - so in theory your IP can change.

True about the biz packages - and its pretty rubbish!!!

xathras
19-07-2004, 13:34
Oh well i will have to cope with what I have.

Thanks anyway

True about the biz packages - and its pretty rubbish!!!

APS
19-07-2004, 13:34
It is not theoretical either - they changed on us a few weeks back when their was alot of network work done in our area. We were not warned of the change at all!

APS

Tricky
19-07-2004, 13:55
ADSL is probably the best option for static IP's and you normally get a better upload than the standard rubbish of NTL's 600K - I'm not bitter but I am not paying BT for a phone line!

hjf288
19-07-2004, 16:04
The thing I hate about static Ips are when you try to connect to your IP controlled systems:

(EZBounce) No Authorization For IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Webmin: You Are Not Authorized To View This Page

But I prefer the extra downstream and lower latency than ADSL so I wouldnt switch.
Cable has MUCH lower overheads and even though NTL can suck at times, they are good.