PDA

View Full Version : outlook xp

hoggyspuds
29-07-2003, 22:29
just upgraded to outlook xp from outlook express. I use the former at work, so am familar enough with it. Problem is when I open it from the desktop, it opens on "in-box", but won't download any new messages unless i click the send/receive button. I'd like it to the automatically, but can't find it anywhere in the settings. Any idea's?

hawkmoon
29-07-2003, 22:51
I'm currently using 2003 beta, but IIRC Outlook XP has it in the same place.

Take a look under tools / options, then mail setup tab, then send/receive button and there is a check box marked something like schedule an automatic send / receive every x mins. Enable this.

If this is already enabled then odd the top of my head I'm not sure what the problem is.

hoggyspuds
29-07-2003, 22:59
thanx for that. the box wasn't checked. just done it now and it appears to work! Gates has a lot to answer for in making these programs un-user friendly. Once again thanx, makes this site worthwhile

hawkmoon
29-07-2003, 23:26
No probs.

Unfortunately I think Gates knows he is onto a good thing with making things complicated.

He can then sell us poor old techies a course to prove we understand all his products - at extortionate prices. Only to make them outmoded a year or 2 later with a new version of a product or completely new exams (like the MCSA).

This guy certainly knows how to make the dosh.

hoggyspuds
29-07-2003, 23:43
couldn't agree more.......thanx once again.........
just had an idea for a post on this site.....or even a link in the home page.....how about a thread for "tips".....you know....eg..."how to stop messenger loading at start up" ....etc...what do you think?.....i buy pc mags all the time and the first place i go is to the help section