PDA

View Full Version : NTL Upload Speed...

NinjaBikeRider
16-07-2004, 13:23
When I ordered the 600K cable connection, I asked if the upload speed was comparable to ADSLââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s 256kbs (as I upload files for some of my clients to their servers). I was told yes, itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s set at 256kbs for the 600K connection. However, I appear to be only getting to the approx speed of 128kbs. Have I been given the wrong info again?

Many thanks,

gary_580
16-07-2004, 13:25
yes youve been given wrong info, its 128kbs for a 600kbs connection

i think its only 256kbs upload on the 1meg service

seaneeboy
16-07-2004, 14:10
You've been given the wrong info, which is actually a wee bitty illegal :(

gary_580
16-07-2004, 14:23
Phone them up and complain.

I was told i would have interactive when i first went on digital. As i was led to believe this was sky sports interactive which is on Sky Sports Extra and NTL didnt carry it at the time i told them to put me back on analogue. As i was on a years contract at that pouint NTL offered to refund me the difference between a years analogue and digital which they did up front.

poolking
16-07-2004, 14:44
You've been given the wrong info, which is actually a wee bitty illegal :(
Since when?

SMHarman
16-07-2004, 14:52
Since when?
He's entered into a contract based on incorrect information. He has the option of full restitution as a means of satsifying this.

While it is probably not illegal (that advisor has not broken the law as such), it does result in legal ramifications (in that a civil case could be taken against NTL to recind the contract).

NinjaBikeRider
16-07-2004, 15:32
Yeah, my move over to NTL has been a catalogue of liesâ₠¬Ã‚¦!! Had the whole PIN number issues at the start. Stress!! Which Mark B. from this forum kindly sorted out for me.

The funny thing is, the salesman actually asked someone technical at NTL when I asked about the upload speeds before I signed-up.

I have learned one thing with regards these problemsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦If youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re planning to use broadband for business, youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re probably much better of using ADSL. As thereÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a lot more choice out their and its just a matter of a phone call to switch provider, if your present one fails you. You can always argue the contract later in a Small Claims Court. Hardly costs yourself anything (say £15), but costs companies †˜thousandsâ ۉâ₠žÂ¢ to try arguing against it, as they have to use their legal channels.

Over the years Iâ₠™ve taken 6 major companies to Small Claims Courts, and theyâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve always backed off and settled way before things getting complicated.
Not that this is heading that way yetââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦

steve_smith
16-07-2004, 15:34
Although it would be nice to have some kind of parity with ADSL and have 256k upload, I'd personally be happy if NTL could manage to get my upload speed working at 128k :-(

Despite moaning lots, my upload rate has been unreliable and at best sub-modem speed since the end of April (even through download works perfectly).

Steve.

seaneeboy
16-07-2004, 15:39
If I were to sell you a car and you bought it on the premise that it had a 1.6L engine, which was something you needed... then it turned out it only had a 1.2L engine, then i've defrauded you - and that's illegal.

Same thing applies here. He bought the product under the premise that he's be getting 256k upload, but once he's had it all installed it turns out he's only going to get 128k.

NinjaBikeRider
16-07-2004, 15:43
Good one Seaneeboy...I might explain it to them in car terms...They may understand that...!!

seaneeboy
16-07-2004, 15:46
Happy to help :)

poolking
16-07-2004, 16:19
What I would have done was done a little more digging to make totally sure that the info I was given was correct. :)

SMHarman
16-07-2004, 16:30
If I were to sell you a car and you bought it on the premise that it had a 1.6L engine, which was something you needed... then it turned out it only had a 1.2L engine, then i've defrauded you - and that's illegal.

Same thing applies here. He bought the product under the premise that he's be getting 256k upload, but once he's had it all installed it turns out he's only going to get 128k.

But you could not get the manufacturer to put a 1.6l engine in that car, you could reject that car as unsuitable for purpose and buy a 1.6l car (or a 1Mb line) from the same or another dealer (ISP), you could not make them create a 600/256 line just for you.

Neil
16-07-2004, 16:32
What I would have done was done a little more digging to make totally sure that the info I was given was correct. :)

You shouldn't have to do that though. The information that is given should be correct & accurate.

orangebird
16-07-2004, 16:43
Yeah, my move over to NTL has been a catalogue of liesâ₠¬Ã‚¦!! Had the whole PIN number issues at the start. Stress!! Which Mark B. from this forum kindly sorted out for me.

The funny thing is, the salesman actually asked someone technical at NTL when I asked about the upload speeds before I signed-up.

I have learned one thing with regards these problemsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦If youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re planning to use broadband for business, youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re probably much better of using ADSL. As thereÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a lot more choice out their and its just a matter of a phone call to switch provider, if your present one fails you. You can always argue the contract later in a Small Claims Court. Hardly costs yourself anything (say £15), but costs companies †˜thousandsâ ۉâ₠žÂ¢ to try arguing against it, as they have to use their legal channels.

Over the years Iâ₠™ve taken 6 major companies to Small Claims Courts, and theyâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve always backed off and settled way before things getting complicated.
Not that this is heading that way yetââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦

So what do you want ntl to do about it?

Matth
16-07-2004, 16:48
The problem may be in proving what you were told, unless you have it in writing, or recorded.

I'd guess the most you might get out of NTL is a no-penalty termination - or just maybe the 1Mb service at a discount - though probably only a year.

If upload speed and CAPACITY is important to you, NTL is NOT the service for you, as they also seem to get shirty with anyone exceeding 300Mb/day upload - though that would be 5 1/2 hours at the 128k speed, but less than 3 hours full load at 256k.

gary_580
16-07-2004, 16:50

All they have to do is let him out of his contract and he has no claim to make.

MovedGoalPosts
16-07-2004, 16:51
I have learned one thing with regards these problemsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦If youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re planning to use broadband for business, youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re probably much better of using ADSL. As thereÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a lot more choice out their and its just a matter of a phone call to switch provider, if your present one fails you. You can always argue the contract later in a Small Claims Court. Hardly costs yourself anything (say £15), but costs companies †˜thousandsâ ۉâ₠žÂ¢ to try arguing against it, as they have to use their legal channels. [/font]

Are you using ntl residential BB for business? You imply so from your first post. It may not excuse the misselling of the bb connection speed, but you too, if on business are misusing (and technically in breach of your contract). That alone, might be sufficient to negate any claim you might have been able to make.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick regarding your use, sorry.

paulyoung666
16-07-2004, 17:30
Are you using ntl residential BB for business? You imply so from your first post. It may not excuse the misselling of the bb connection speed, but you too, if on business are misusing (and technically in breach of your contract). That alone, might be sufficient to negate any claim you might have been able to make.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick regarding your use, sorry.

it appeared that way to me too my mate :disturbd:

SMHarman
16-07-2004, 17:38
Exactly - you are in the trial 60 days (I assume), so you can ditch the service with no cost. You are aware of this limitation, so if you go past the 60 days you are deemed to accept the 128k upload.

Your choices are to cancel NTL at no cost to yourself (free install etc) and get DSL to the spec you want or upgrade to 1Mb (soon to be 1.5Mb remember) and get the downstream of 256K.

Being as you are using it for business use the extra £130 a year is a fully deductable business expense, you are getting a good 600/128 by the sounds of things, personally I would just upgrade to the higher speed.

Ignition
16-07-2004, 17:41

Not doing what seems to be an increasingly popular policy among our beloved sales team and either talking through backside due to not bothering to research the products they are selling or outright lying through their teeth in order to make a sale might be a start. Are the residential products really that complicated that they need to talk to technical people about what is the current fastest selling product by an absolute mile?

Pretty good case for commissionless sales teams, might ensure some integrity there. IMHO paying sales teams for the sales they make is an incentive to get the sale through honesty or dishonesty whatever it takes. Most are no doubt honest about the products or admit they don't know. I've noticed recently on here more than one user complaining of being mis-sold a product. Seems to be a quite disturbing trend.

Incompetence or outright lying. Who knows?

What I do think is that custom would be better gained through television and radio advertising, and by getting it right for existing customers, supplying a solid high quality service and good backup when things go wrong. Word of mouth is a far better seller than a stand in a shopping centre.

Ignition
16-07-2004, 17:48
I have learned one thing with regards these problemsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦If youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re planning to use broadband for business, youââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re probably much better of using ADSL. As thereÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a lot more choice out their and its just a matter of a phone call to switch provider, if your present one fails you.

Considering that broadband cable for business isn't currently sold I'd very much agree with you, and point you in the general direction of the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up for the product. More than once among them is mentioned that the service is a residential one and not for business use. By all means take ntl to court just don't expect to not be hit with a counter-suit for breach of your side of the contract as well...

carlingman
17-07-2004, 01:50
When I ordered the 600K cable connection, I asked if the upload speed was comparable to ADSLââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s 256kbs (as I upload files for some of my clients to their servers). I was told yes, itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s set at 256kbs for the 600K connection. However, I appear to be only getting to the approx speed of 128kbs. Have I been given the wrong info again?

Many thanks,

:mad: Argh sorry to hear about your misfortunes at NTLs hand.

:mad: This was one thing that made my blood boil when I used to work for them as a Senior in Tech Support the fact that Sales would give any advice to get a sale.

Nice to see after nearly 3 years since I left that the incompetence of answering a basic question is still the same poor standard of what seems to be anything to get people signed up.

As many have said it should be a simple task to answer such a basic question.

The phrase †œIts time to play the music, Its time to light the lights
Its time to meet the muppets on the Muppet Show tonightââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚

:D

:angel: Now before anyone jumps in defending their company with their NTL boots on the above is not aimed at all NTL employees but their seem to be a select few still left there that will adopt anything to get a sale. :angel:

Ninjabikerider, all I hope is you get a better and more sensitive approach from NTL than this one given below from an NTL Employees which I am now about to address as well.

Hmm where to start, how about NTL actually take in an interest in a customer being miss sold a product.

How about the sales team start talking through the other hole rather than using the one that gets them a sale.

Or even perhaps telling the truth if they suspect they the customer requires a Business Connection tell them to call Business rather than talk through their arse just to get a residential sale on their card.

Again another novel idea if Sales do not know the answer why not put the customer through to someone technical that can answer it instead of saying yes sir no sir three bags full to get a sale.

From my time at NTL there always has been and obviously still is due to the increasing trends here recently a problem with the Sales Advice.

My points seem to be echoing justanothernoobs so I guess I am not alone on picking this up.

:angel: Rant over as I guess as usual NTL will never take on board any such criticism.

With any luck ninja will get an amicable get out clause and be able to find a decent ISP provider capable of delivering business class service.

:angel:

mmm
17-07-2004, 09:59
NB:

In theory cable is a better transmission medium, all ADSL suppliers have this in their Ts and Cs

with any ADSL account the maximum download or upload speed you actually experience will depend the number of other people online. Upload speeds may also depend on the quality of your telephone line/your distance from your local exchange. Please also note that maximum upload or download speeds cannot be guaranteed. These types of limitation apply to all ADSL packages, not just ours.

Some quote min 64k up with 256k max, what do you get in practise?

seaneeboy
18-07-2004, 18:38
But you could not get the manufacturer to put a 1.6l engine in that car, you could reject that car as unsuitable for purpose and buy a 1.6l car (or a 1Mb line) from the same or another dealer (ISP), you could not make them create a 600/256 line just for you.

Quite right - but the mis-sell still occured :(

paulyoung666
18-07-2004, 18:49
Quite right - but the mis-sell still occured :(

then complain and get it sorted out ;)