PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem on...and off....and on...

beatsystem
15-07-2004, 21:56
Hi all

Can't find any solution to this anywhere else - gave up on the phone line after a couple of hour long waits, and emails do nothing (sorry guys)..

Anyway, my cable modem connection has been really erratic for the last couple of weeks - I've changed all cables (including the one from cable modem to the wall box - I had one spare) and done the usual resetting the modem malarkey with no improvement.

There's no mention of any problems in my area (Brighton BN1) other than a planned outage a couple of weeks ago, so I'm boggled.

When it's connected it rolls fine, but then it loses the connection (either one or both of the sync & rdy lights go out) and it can be any time from 5mins to an hour before it reconnects.

Can anyone shed any light on this - I'm outta ideas...

Thanks,

beatsystem

Tricky
15-07-2004, 21:56
Could be power supply fault?

EDIT - Welcome to the site...

Paul K
15-07-2004, 21:59
You need to stay on the line and get them to check the signal to your connection as it may be a problem outside of your home causing the drop out.
Are those the only lights to go out when it drops the connection?

beatsystem
15-07-2004, 22:07
Yeah - The power is fine.

The connection drops - the in / out ethernet lights flicker a bit (guess that's just the computer asking the modem whats up and the modem going "I dunno") and it hangs for a couple of minutes before doing its automatic try again...

Is there any way other than the 0845 number to get in touch with tech support ? I really can't face another hour listening to those messages.. ;)

Thanks for replying,

beatsystem

carlingman
16-07-2004, 00:36
Hi beatsystem,

Crux of the problem here is from your original post - sync and ready lights drop = NTL Problem.

I guess you have an NTL Home 100 or 120 Ambit.

If your connection does drop out again then it maybe worth pointing your browser to http://192.168.100.1/ and then enter the user id as root and the password as root

From the cable modem config tab you will then be able to see the downstream power levels when it drops the connection.

If the downstream is fluctuating then only way to resolve is via an NTL Engineer visit to adjust this.

Post back the logs if you cannot get through to them.

:D