PDA

View Full Version : is this really a concern

kronas
29-07-2003, 16:40
are children under threat because they see stars such as britney spears and kylie minogue 'flaunt it' ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3106271.stm

IMO the bbc seems to be scaremongering again they seem to have a habit of that these days though every child is diffarent

gazzae
29-07-2003, 16:53
He's worried that Britneys become more raunchy and children will follow?
Has britney not been raunchy for her whole career?

What about the shoot she did for Rolling Stones a few years back?

darkangel
29-07-2003, 16:54
Originally posted by gazzae

What about the shoot she did for Rolling Stones a few years back? and who can forget madonna:spin:

Russ
29-07-2003, 16:54
Two of the biggest influences in a child's life are TV and music, yes I'd say we'd need to be careful with how 'stars' are percieved. If they give themselves to the public then they need to take on the responsibility of how they are viewed by their fans.

kronas
29-07-2003, 16:56
Originally posted by gazzae

What about the shoot she did for Rolling Stones a few years back?

yes she has been shes currently going through the 'growing up' process of her rauchyness

i suppose from the guys point of view maybe girls are more pressured to become like there idols ?

Russ
29-07-2003, 17:00
Originally posted by kronas
yes she has been shes currently going through the 'growing up' process of her rauchyness

Yes, Britney did that, and also Bouncy Knowles is going through the same 'process' too.

kronas
29-07-2003, 17:04
Originally posted by Russ D
Yes, Britney did that, and also Bouncy Knowles is going through the same 'process' too.

i see nothing in knowles dont like her music or herself :shrug:

imback
29-07-2003, 17:30
i see nothing in knowles dont like her music or herself :shrug:

Man she is amazing, she looks like a real woman, not like Avril :D

I don't think stars should have to think of our children before they decide how to dress or act, surely that is our job. I don't think of other peoples children before I do something, so why should they? They are just living their life.

kronas
29-07-2003, 17:31
Originally posted by imback
Man she is amazing, she looks like a real woman, not like Avril :D

I don't think stars should have to think of our children before they decide how to dress or act, surely that is our job. I don't think of other peoples children before I do something, so why should they? They are just living their life.

dont start mister :p ;) :D :D :D

yep your right its up to parents and the individual to control them/themselves

imback
29-07-2003, 17:33
dont start mister :p ;) :D :D :D

yep your right its up to parents and the individual to control them/themselves

Thought that might get your attention mate :D

People need to stop blaming their childrens bad behaviour on complete strangers and instead look closer to home for the real reasons.

iadom
29-07-2003, 17:34

IMO the bbc seems to be scaremongering again they seem to have a habit of that these days though every child is diffarent [

How is this the fault of the BBC, they are just reporting a news item, most parents of young girls will identify with this problem.

kronas
29-07-2003, 17:35

People need to stop blaming their childrens bad behaviour on complete strangers and instead look closer to home for the real reasons.

aye thats why i lub you mate you speak sense :D :p ;) :eek: :D :D

most parents dont have the time to notice what there kids are getting themselves in to or are to in to there 'routines'

Originally posted by iadom
How is this the fault of the BBC, they are just reporting a news item, most parents of young girls will identify with this problem.

recent news stories which are deliberately being portaryed as something to alienate people and 'tag' them so to speak

imback
29-07-2003, 17:37
aye thats why i lub you mate you speak sense :D :p ;) :eek: :D :D

:blush: :D

Russ
29-07-2003, 17:44
It certainly is mostly up to the parents to ensure children are brought up properly, but what about when relatives are looking after them, or when they are at friends' houses? Who can control what they watch then?

imback
29-07-2003, 17:48
It certainly is mostly up to the parents to ensure children are brought up properly, but what about when relatives are looking after them, or when they are at friends' houses? Who can control what they watch then?

But it should not be a concearn what they watch on TV( with excpetions of course) as long as they are brought up knowing that it is all just fantisy and some of the things they see are not nice then it's fine.

Russ
29-07-2003, 17:49
But it should not be a concearn what they watch on TV( with excpetions of course) as long as they are brought up knowing that it is all just fantisy and some of the things they see are not nice then it's fine.

Agreed but kids are at their most influential up to the teenage years....

imback
29-07-2003, 17:52
Agreed but kids are at their most influential up to the teenage years....

And that's when as a parent/relative you teach them what is acceptable and what is just for TV. I was never told not to watch anything when I was a kid and I turned out ok, I think.

Russ
29-07-2003, 17:54
And that's when as a parent/relative you teach them what is acceptable and what is just for TV. I was never told not to watch anything when I was a kid and I turned out ok, I think.

Yes but I don't think it's just up to us parents - for about 13 years they spend almost as much time with teachers, as well as other kids who may not have parents with the same level of 'morals'. How do we account for them? We can teach them as much as we can but with these external influences it will be tough.

imback
29-07-2003, 17:59
Yes but I don't think it's just up to us parents - for about 13 years they spend almost as much time with teachers, as well as other kids who may not have parents with the same level of 'morals'. How do we account for them? We can teach them as much as we can but with these external influences it will be tough.

But teachers are just doing a job, like your local shop keeper. It is up to the parents to govern boundries, if you take full resonsabilty and blame for childs actions then it shows that you will adleast tech them the right things.

Russ
29-07-2003, 18:02
But teachers are just doing a job, like your local shop keeper. It is up to the parents to govern boundries, if you take full resonsabilty and blame for childs actions then it shows that you will adleast tech them the right things.

Again I agree to a point. Incidentally I'm not going to shirk parents's responsibilities but it is also up to the teachers to a level. As kids will often spend more time with teachers than their parents, they need to shoulder part of the burden.

imback
29-07-2003, 18:04
Again I agree to a point. Incidentally I'm not going to shirk parents's responsibilities but it is also up to the teachers to a level. As kids will often spend more time with teachers than their parents, they need to shoulder part of the burden.

I know you aint going to shirk your parental duties mate, you are a good guy.

But I think it's alot to ask for a teacher to guide each child personally, teachers are there to give genral advice while teaching the academics.

Russ
29-07-2003, 18:06
I know you aint going to shirk your parental duties mate, you are a good guy.

Why thank you :)

But I think it's alot to ask for a teacher to guide each child personally, teachers are there to give genral advice while teaching the academics.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, I'm not saying it's down to the teachers alone, but they certain do have some input.

imback
29-07-2003, 18:10
Ok Russ fair enough, but I have a sister in Law that is teacher that would give 100 reasons why they have no power to guide a child when they have no rules at home.

kronas
29-07-2003, 20:36

the flaws of teaching are quite clear these days from my point of view there is never enough one on one time with pupils as the system does not work like that but teachers can only do so much

its the parents who have to teach/advise them on certain aspects of there young lives not having a reliance on teachers to do it all thats NOT what they are there to teach they follow the curriculum