PDA

View Full Version : Typical Pings on ntl: cable

Omar
14-07-2004, 16:51
Hi, there im due to get ntl: cable soon moving from isdn and will be using it primalrily for gaming stuff . I just want a rough picture of how i'd ping to some of my favourite game servers :) if you ntl: cable folks dont mind telling me what package i.e. 1mbit and copy and pasting some dos pings i'd be very thankful cheers. ;)

list of servers i'd like to see what pings are like to the servers listed below if i'm not being rude hehe ;).

serverox.net (france)
digifrag.co.uk (uk)
k-play.de (germany)
ngz.de (germany)
212.11.68.133 (italy mnetwork.it)
194.177.125.58 (italy ngi.it)
80.172.224.241 (portugal GameQwest.net)
netcabo.pt (portugal)
totalfailure.se (sweden)
Game-Arena.co.uk (uk)
clarity.jolt.co.uk (uk)
wolfcreek.spawnzone.net (netherlands)
Gameservers.net (netherlands)
i4games.net (belgium)

Thanks in advance ;)
Omar

ian@huth
14-07-2004, 17:04
Other customers pinging those sites would not tell you what pings you would get on your connection. What service tier you are on will not make any difference to the pings you are asking others to do and you have to remember that pings can have low priority in routing.

paulyoung666
14-07-2004, 17:22
Other customers pinging those sites would not tell you what pings you would get on your connection. What service tier you are on will not make any difference to the pings you are asking others to do and you have to remember that pings can have low priority in routing.

and if i may i will second that :)

Omar
14-07-2004, 17:27
fair enough hehe :). useless thread then i guess :P.

just wanted to get a lowdown on peoples general experience with ntl: and gaming (not just the bad stuff ;)).

ian@huth
14-07-2004, 17:39

just wanted to get a lowdown on peoples general experience with ntl: and gaming (not just the bad stuff ;)).

It's the luck of the draw I'm afraid. Some people have a very good experience with NTL BB and others quite the opposite. Use the search facility on the site to find out more and maybe PM other gamers, particularly if they are in the Grimsby area, but remember that their experience may not be the same as what you will get.

paulyoung666
14-07-2004, 17:45

not useless at all , if you dont ask then you will never know , dont be afraid to ask , most ppl on here dont bite , just try and avoid the odd shark that lurks from time to time :disturbd: :D :D :D :D

jtwn
14-07-2004, 18:11
Omar, im a grimsby customer and must say i think my pings are phenomenal.

On a multiplay.co.uk servers in game i ping 15-25 nearly all times i look.

gameservers.net (holland based) i get around the 20s.

I continue to be amazed that most times i find myself to have the lowest ping, especially when its lower than the people who actually live there :D

I also have next to no problems with my bb connection, previous problems i later found out to be my fault ;)

Foo Fighter
14-07-2004, 19:29
12-20 on some nice servers and 30-40 on standard cheapo ones like UK2

Omar
15-07-2004, 00:02
spectacular :)

hope i get the same kind of pings ;)

what games do u play btw jtwn? :)

Stop It
15-07-2004, 00:44
It all depends on the Local UBRs, and the quality of the servers that host websites/game servers etc, I ping the bbc website at an average of 10ms, and my ping is usually very low in CS, around the 20 mark in the UK, but it is luck of the draw in some cases, although, apart from gaming, your ping isnt relevent (unless its 497292790695390357903ms) :P

seaneeboy
15-07-2004, 11:26
Also remember a lot of people are here because they've had problems - so any cross section of people you ask about their pings are likely to be skewed towards the negative :wavey:

Omar
15-07-2004, 11:32
hehe ;)
my main plan was to just get a rough idea of peoples experiences not just the bad ones which are virtually the only comments you find about ppl's experience with ntl: but i guess its just down to the 'factors'. Can only wait and see :).

Rone
15-07-2004, 12:48
I,m in manchester, and last week i gave up playing UT, which i have played since my modem days. ADSL was far better for gaming than ntl has ever been.
Even on Jolt Uber servers [supposedly, but not always best] i have seen guys from Portugal ping almost the same. Mine are usually higher than most, except quite a few other NTL dudes.
As above, depending on where you live, and if theres no knot in the fibre optics, you might well be ok. ;)

td444
15-07-2004, 14:45
Its more to do with Upstream utilization rates. NTL core network appears to be in good condition. Even Virgin.Net's ADSL network (which is effectively NTL's) did well in the so called ADSLguide speedranks.

Given that the whole NTL network has been given a kick up the backside in terms of upgrades, I'd reckon you should be ok.