PDA

View Full Version : Children on passports

Xaccers
29-07-2003, 11:13
Going to Gran Canaria with my gf and her daughter.
Daughter is on her mum's passport (name and date of birth on the children's section no photo of her though)
Passport runs out in 2006

Question is, has anyone else been to spain/canarie islands recently with their kids on their passports?

British Passport office said there wouldn't be a problem our end, but said that we should check with the spanish embassy in case they insist on children having their own passports.

Nemesis
29-07-2003, 11:25
Never had a problem with this. Son is on my passport, and my wifes, no photo.

Been to Gran Canaria twice, so I can't see any problem with yours.

Have a good time, send me a postcard :wavey:

Xaccers
29-07-2003, 11:47
Thanks for that! :)
We're off to sonneland (will have to find a cyber cafe and sneak away from the missus!)

Nemesis
29-07-2003, 11:51
Been there, nice pool, good atmosphrere.

Hotel opposite and down a liitle bit does good food.

Beach is Awesome. Watch out for the holiday timeshare people, like leeches.

You'll have a great time. enjoy.

Seb
29-07-2003, 11:56
I was under the impression that all children have to have their own passports, for travel after September 2003. However i'm not sure if this is the case for all countries.

BTW i work part time for a travel agency, and this is all the info i know. You would think that as this is quite an important legislation we would be informed and have a comprehensive understanding in the matter, oh no!!

Nemesis
29-07-2003, 12:00
I understood that the children on parents passports were valid until the passport expired, and then the child had to get one of there own.

Fine for kids over about 3, but my brother in law had to get a passport for a 6 mnth old baby, photo as well. The passport lasts 5 years !!!!!!

Lord Nikon
29-07-2003, 12:05
http://www.passport.gov.uk/news/news.asp

The "kids own passport" would SEEM to be for the US only, however this site should have the most up to date info

TigaSefi
29-07-2003, 12:12
Originally posted by Nemesis
I understood that the children on parents passports were valid until the passport expired, and then the child had to get one of there own.

Fine for kids over about 3, but my brother in law had to get a passport for a 6 mnth old baby, photo as well. The passport lasts 5 years !!!!!!

A Baby's face changes a LOT in 5 years from when they are born. That just stupid..... I might well stick a baby pic on my passport and say that me.

Lord Nikon
29-07-2003, 12:19
I thought you had?

Xaccers
29-07-2003, 12:21
after 98 children had to have their own passports.
if kids are already on their parents' passports and they are still valid, then the kids don't need their own until they reach 16 or their parents' passports expire.

Like you say, it means kids end up travelling with baby photo's of themselves which is daft (photo should need to be updated every year until 5 years old I recon).
But then, on my gf's passport (pre 98), it's just got the name and DoB for her daughter, so she could leave the country with any girl aged around 9 and claim it was her daughter.

TigaSefi
29-07-2003, 14:36
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
I thought you had?

Me ? Cheeky Bar-steward :p

Jerrek
29-07-2003, 19:54
I've had my own passport since I was born. Not on my parent's, but my own.