PDA

View Full Version : NTL Cable Installations

Lina
08-07-2004, 22:57
Whoever i speak to at NTL all tell me that the cabling they use is just normal coaxial cable with different type of connectors. However, I read on here that coaxial cable does not have the capacity to run 1mb cable modem nor digital tv. What i want to do is run cables at first fix whilst I renovate then link up to NTL's connection when they come to install. Can anyone confirm if they have used normal coaxial cable for their extra connections and if it works ok? thanks.

Mick
09-07-2004, 20:01
Whoever i speak to at NTL all tell me that the cabling they use is just normal coaxial cable with different type of connectors. However, I read on here that coaxial cable does not have the capacity to run 1mb cable modem nor digital tv. What i want to do is run cables at first fix whilst I renovate then link up to NTL's connection when they come to install. Can anyone confirm if they have used normal coaxial cable for their extra connections and if it works ok? thanks.

Hi Lina, Welcome to the site. :welcome:

I use an extension coaxial cable that I purcased from a D.I.Y shop that runs into the back bedroom for the additional STB I also have broadband on this STB and it has worked for me okay without any degrade in service.

Paul
09-07-2004, 21:17
It should be noted that running your own cable may be against the ntl T&C's.

homealone
09-07-2004, 21:42
It should be noted that running your own cable may be against the ntl T&C's.

not sure how extensive Lina's renovations are, but a compromise could be to run conduit between the required connection points & provide 'pull throughs' for the installation tech to run the cable?

having said that, dispassionately, it's the connections that have more relevance to the T&C's, than the cable, but I can't see NTL being willing to fix any problems arising from an 'own cable' installation, without charging.?

@Mick - your 'extension' is off an existing install, presumably? - so I'm not disagreeing with you, but what Pem said for a new install does sound right:)

Mick
09-07-2004, 22:30
I have had this extension cable for years now and when an ntl engineer connected a new STB to it, he said it was okay to use the extension cable.

homealone
09-07-2004, 23:12
I have had this extension cable for years now and when an ntl engineer connected a new STB to it, he said it was okay to use the extension cable.

:cool:

Womble
10-07-2004, 13:08

Lina, what area are you in? I might if your in Surrey be able to pop some round, otherwise there must be someone from your area on this board.

The trouble with using DIY cable is it aint up it!. It needs to be 75 ohm rated and of very good quality, satalite coax and most ariel coax is 300 ohm.

XFS03
10-07-2004, 23:55
...most ariel coax is 300 ohm.Aerial coax is either 75 Ohms or 50 Ohms.
Ribbon cable is 300 Ohms

SMHarman
12-07-2004, 12:50
My understanding is that it is more a shielding issue than anything else.

If you use the sat quality coax you can get from Maplin and the like, then the engineer should be happy to patch into it. If you use the basic stuff from Homebase (light copper mesh shield), then that won't be up to the job and signal degredation will occur, pixelation, stuttery pictures, no ETV and poor BB.

Lina
14-07-2004, 12:10
thanks guys. running conduit sounds like a good way forward. probably the safest option. Am in cambs area. Might try the CT100 or rg6 cable from Maplin.

thanks again.:)

SMHarman
14-07-2004, 12:39
Might be worth cramming some CAT6 down that too to future proof yourself.

arcamalpha2004
14-07-2004, 15:51
not sure how extensive Lina's renovations are, but a compromise could be to run conduit between the required connection points & provide 'pull throughs' for the installation tech to run the cable?

having said that, dispassionately, it's the connections that have more relevance to the T&C's, than the cable, but I can't see NTL being willing to fix any problems arising from an 'own cable' installation, without charging.?

@Mick - your 'extension' is off an existing install, presumably? - so I'm not disagreeing with you, but what Pem said for a new install does sound right:)

NTL T&C'S; 9.1; If any further internal cable or equipment is required it must be provided by us and you may have to pay our reasonable additional charges.

If the above is to be adhered too, give them a call and ask how much per metre their cable is?

Lina
18-07-2004, 14:47
After speaking to about 10 people, some in customer services, some in sales (one woman just put the phone down on me, obviously the request was beyond her comprehension!), I managed to get through to a very helpful sales chap at NTL who promised me a reel of white NTL cable to do the job myself. Then, when I request the installation of services, the engineers will just hook up to what I have fixed in the walls. That was last week, of course I've had nothing turn up yet. My local pub manager used to be an ntl engineer and he confirmed that RG6 cable is sufficient to run the TV STB connection with no affect on quality of picture. However, he did confirm that to run the cable modem, I would need the white cable from NTL. I think my best way forward is to flag down an NTL van and see if they want a few quid for some cable!!!:angel:

Lina
18-07-2004, 14:48
Might be worth cramming some CAT6 down that too to future proof yourself.
Hi, CAT 6? what does the future hold then using this cable?

thanks
Lina

Hom3r
18-07-2004, 14:57
How do a start a new thread??

HELP

thanks

ian@huth
18-07-2004, 15:03
How do a start a new thread??

HELP

thanks

Firstly check using the search facility that a new thread is warranted.

Go to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ and click on the forum which is appropriate for the topic you waant to discuss.

Click on the "new thread" button just above the list of threads on the left.

Post away.

SMHarman
18-07-2004, 15:12
Hi, CAT 6? what does the future hold then using this cable?

thanks
Lina

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-cat6.htm

It is the network cable of the future that will cover all your high capacity IP requirements these will include video and voice over IP as both technologies come on stream.

At the moment you need to run three cable types around your house, copper coax for video, phone wire and cat5(e) data cable. Cat 6 when the hardware is affordable will do all three jobs in one cable.

Lina
26-07-2004, 19:03
thanks for that info.
Just a quick update, that NTL insisted I sign up for their services and then I will get some white cable delivered. I have signed up, but no cable yet, although they are sure they will deliver soon. At least we all know its possible but does require constant nagging to NTL sales.

cheers
Lina :-)