PDA

View Full Version : IE 6 is ntl supporting it?

marcsparks2002
28-07-2003, 13:50
As the title says really are ntl tech supporting ie6 on win98se? i know a few months back they wouldnt ogffer any support if i e6 was installed,apologies if this is in the wrong section ,atb marc

alan.ralskey
28-07-2003, 15:03
lest time i rang TS about my systems and my connex keep dropping they flat down refused to help coz I was running OE 6 and IE 6 on win 98.

This was a couple of months ago now and since then I have had to change computers and so am runing 5.5 on both. Not had to ring TS for a while so I dont know what they are supporting now. Would be helpful to know as I am looking at upgrading

Lord Nikon
28-07-2003, 15:56
its simple... LIE to the tech... tell them you are running 5 on 98

Russ
28-07-2003, 16:00
Originally posted by Lord Nikon

Customers who do that (lie) used to annoy the nthell out of me. They'll probably find out eventually that you are lying and will place a note on your account to warn others.

You'd be better off telling the tech what you've got and asking for courtesy support which means you accept the responsibility if anything went wrong.

Mark W
28-07-2003, 16:03
AFAIK we still do not support it on win98/winME - tho to be honset i think this is just a handy cop out by alot of techs.... in reality it is very rare that the problem the customer is having really IS due to them having IE6 :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek: :cry: :cry:

tho to be honest, we will find out very quickly when we go through your internet options settings - and then take EVERYTHING you say from then on with a pinch of salt ;)

marcsparks2002
28-07-2003, 16:52
Thanks for the replys guys ....i couldnt lie im an :angel: :D
i spoke to a techy and he said they do not support ie 6 on win 98 ...the only os they will support it on is xp so there youhave it .....atb marc

Acathla
28-07-2003, 18:15
True - NTL claim they wont support IE6 on any OS except XP.
The claim is that IE6 wasnt designed for any other OS.

Which is of course BS as Microsoft suggest upgrading to IE6 (ever tried a windows update).

TYpical ploy by support staff to get out of doing work!

:rant over:

Mark W
28-07-2003, 18:31
Originally posted by Acathla
True - NTL claim they wont support IE6 on any OS except XP.
The claim is that IE6 wasnt designed for any other OS.

Which is of course BS as Microsoft suggest upgrading to IE6 (ever tried a windows update).

TYpical ploy by support staff to get out of doing work!

:rant over:

well, to be fair IE 6 WASNT designed for win98/winME. Darant works for MS, he might be able to give us a definitive answer?

and the MS bloke i spoke to a while ago told me they DIDNT suggest those with win98/winME upgrade to IE6.

Lord Nikon
28-07-2003, 18:39
Originally posted by Mark W

and the MS bloke i spoke to a while ago told me they DIDNT suggest those with win98/winME upgrade to IE6.

Nice to see that MS have faith in the product then... especially since on a new install of 98 the FIRST critical update is to IE6 SP1 lol

hawkmoon
28-07-2003, 19:00
Taken from Microsoft.com

"Internet Explorer 6 SP1 provides a private, reliable, and flexible browsing experience for users of Windows XP, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows NT® 4.0 Service Pack 6a."

And

"Minimum Requirements:
Computer/Processor Computer with a 486/66-MHz processor or higher (Pentium processor recommended)

Operating System: Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows NT® 4.0 with the high encryption version of Service Pack 6a (SP 6a) and higher, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
"

So it's seems that as far as MS is concerned IE6 SP1 is for use on Win9x systems including 98.

The confusion probably stems from the fact that IE6 is a core technology with WinXP where it is more of a bolt on for Win9x.

homealone
28-07-2003, 19:51
IIRC from similar threads on .com, the reason given for not supporting IE6.0 on win98se was that the version supplied on the installation disk was 5.5 & the agreement with MS only allowed support of that version.

I've just had a look at my disk (version 1.2) & sure enough it is IE5.5.

Does anyone have a newer disk - latest ones are supposed to be xp compatible so what version of IE is on? Have they set it to install 5.5 on Win98se & 6.0 on xp?

Lord Nikon
28-07-2003, 20:15
nope, if the existing version of IE is more recent than the one on the CD then it won't install the IE browser, just the NTL addons

homealone
28-07-2003, 20:33
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
nope, if the existing version of IE is more recent than the one on the CD then it won't install the IE browser, just the NTL addons

of course. Me a :dunce:

I remember now, I had IE6 before installing off the cd, although I am on win98se and thats what happened.

Thanks m'Lord:)

Lord Nikon
28-07-2003, 20:49
no problem

imback
28-07-2003, 21:37
To be fair, I always give support Ie6 on 98 up to the point where I feel that IE has caused or is causing the problem.

I find 98 machines with IE6 on always seem to get that wonderfull message "could not open the search page" which normally means a winsock2 problems. May just be my imagination of course.

Mark W
28-07-2003, 22:03
Originally posted by imback
To be fair, I always give support Ie6 on 98 up to the point where I feel that IE has caused or is causing the problem.

same here :)

I find 98 machines with IE6 on always seem to get that wonderfull message "could not open the search page" which normally means a winsock2 problems. May just be my imagination of course.

must be the season for winsocks - ive had about 20 in the last 3 days!

imback
28-07-2003, 22:09
Originally posted by Mark W

must be the season for winsocks - ive had about 20 in the last 3 days!

Yeah, had this discussion in work the other day and BB customers have far more problems with winsocks, so it could be to with some popular software they all use, zonealarm or kazza maybe, just an observation :shrug:

Lord Nikon
28-07-2003, 22:18
I would say either the old version of kazaa or zonealarm

I had problems whenever I had either on my machine under 9x...

The problem vanished when I switched to K-Lite and Sygate Pro

[edit] I DID notice though that it happened mainly when there was an XP machine linked in...

removing the QoS packet scheduler from the XP box certainly helped anyway

jay.dee
02-08-2003, 04:13
So what's the concensus? Should a Win 2K user upgrade to 6 or 5.5? I'm still using 5.01 but I don't think that it's safe enough...

kronas
02-08-2003, 04:16
Originally posted by jay.dee
So what's the concensus? Should a Win 2K user upgrade to 6 or 5.5? I'm still using 5.01 but I don't think that it's safe enough...

i used 6 on WIN ME when i had it had to reformat once because i screwed it up but on the whole 6 has been the fastest and reliable for me

on win xp now though i tweaked ie6 and its fast effective and best looking browser for pages IMO

carlingman
02-08-2003, 04:28
Originally posted by jay.dee

Go for it, I used IE6 on 2K for ages without any problems before i finally gave in thinking there could not be a more stable OS than 2K and im glad to say XP has proved me wrong.

I used to think 2K was solid but XP is Bullet Proof.

:D

MikeyB
02-08-2003, 13:30
Originally posted by homealone
Does anyone have a newer disk - latest ones are supposed to be xp compatible so what version of IE is on? Have they set it to install 5.5 on Win98se & 6.0 on xp?

Had my BB installed just over a week ago, so I would presume my isntall disk is the latest version - the readme file says Version 1.8

As far as I can tell there is only IE 5.5 on there.

homealone
02-08-2003, 14:12
Originally posted by MikeyB
Had my BB installed just over a week ago, so I would presume my isntall disk is the latest version - the readme file says Version 1.8

As far as I can tell there is only IE 5.5 on there.

Thanks for that Mikey B:)

As Lord Nikon pointed out, if IE6 is already installed (standard with XP or via Windows Update) then the installation leaves it "as is", I was just interested to know which version of IE was on the newer disks - cheers again.:tu: