PDA

View Full Version : Network card knocked out, how to retrieve?

Aff
28-07-2003, 11:15
this weekend i was trying to setup a wireless system for laptop and xbox. my router was connected by ethernet to pc too.

after many problems trying to configure everything finally got it all done but after unplugging ethernet cable to check wireless bridge the pc locked up. after rebooting the network card drivers could not be found.

i don't even know what network pci card it is. where it came from and obviously can't get on the net to check for drivers (if thats how it's done).

how to i get my pcs network card working again?

i've been to device manager and it can't find any drivers in xp, it doesn't even know what card it is.

thanks for assistance

btw, on my router i finally found i had to 'port forward' to the bridge. does anyone know what this means because i once i did it the details of what i had done disappeared. it's all working but i don't know what i've done.

cheers

Sociable
28-07-2003, 12:15
I see you are on XP so best bet may be to make use of System Restore to get back to the position before you made the changes.

You will find it under "All Programs" >> "Accessories" >> "System Tools" >> "System Restore" simply choose a restore point the day before you made the change.

Port Forwarding is how the router knows which traffic to send to which PC on the lan full details of how this works and how to set it up should be included in the manual and will also be available on-line in most cases.

In essence you will be able to "talk" to your router and view current settings and make changes as necessary.

Hope this helps.