PDA

View Full Version : Student Solution

xathras
05-07-2004, 13:33
Hiya guys/gals,

Just rang ntl and they have offered us a 60 day free trial of the 1mb service, without a shadow or a doubt we said yes and subscribed to the service, its free and no commitment.

What I am here for is there is 5 of us living in the house, which we have just moved into, we all run on Windows XP and the majority of the machines are new.

Will the engineer when he calls on Saturday would he install the modem upstair if we wanted?

What solution would we need to, due to it being a 5 bedroom houses all the rooms are not on the same floor.

Hope you can help

Chris W
05-07-2004, 13:53
The modem will be installed upstairs if you want- i have a cable feed coming into my room upstairs.

You will need a router to share the connection- wireless router and wireless cards will be need to be installed in each pc. You could use a wired router, but it would mean you would have to have ethernet cables running from the router to each pc.

Also bear in mind this section of ntl's residential terms and conditions:

The residential broadband internet service ("Broadband Services") is designed for connection to a single PC. If you connect more than one PC at any one time to the Broadband Service you agree that this shall be entirely at your own risk. ntl will not support your PC's, the network used, or their configuration and technical support shall remain limited to your Internet connection only.

You must not connect more than three (3) PC's to the Broadband Services at any one time.

You are permitted to use routers, and the connection of a dedicated hardware router or firewall shall not be considered a PC for the purposes of this section.

MB

xathras
06-07-2004, 13:56
I find the comment about the 3 computers funny considering that when sales spoke to me and offered the package they asked for the numbers of PCs, 5 and asked their operating systems and said thats fine.

Chris W
06-07-2004, 14:08
nothing strange about it.... the terms and conditions that you agree to when you register for broadband are available from here:

http://www.ntlhome.com/legals/

Plonking
06-07-2004, 14:17
just out of interest... why is the limit set at three? what would happen if more than three used it?

SMHarman
06-07-2004, 15:06
Why three, some lawyer at the time probably thought it reasonable for someone to have three computers at home.

If more than three use it. Well you need a router which is what faces the CM, so NTL find it difficult (though we are told not impossible) to work out what is the other side of the router.

I suppose the real concern is bandwidth usage. As a guideline you are not supposed to download more than 1Gb a day over your CM. Fairly hard for one to do, obviously when you have 5 individuals using the line for separate purposes that results in 200Mb each, a far more likely number to be exceeded.

What will happen to having to many machines connected - nothing. StuartBe on here looks like he as more PCs connected than there are in the NTL mail server farm.

What will happen if you consistently download over 1GB, well if you are in a busy area on the network you will get a stern letter. What happens next so far appears to be nothing.

dev
06-07-2004, 17:11
i would say its to stop people running a mini internet cafe off ntl bb or another home business type thing. i suppose they see most households as not needing more than 3 computers

xathras
10-07-2004, 20:06
The net is now installed, ntl hadn't sent the letter through in time but i rang them and they force the installation, they called me back a few times, and where brilliant about it, they also called to check it was working, thats what i call service.

What makes it better is that the service is free for 2 months

Russ
10-07-2004, 20:39
It's not often we hear comments like that :D