PDA

View Full Version : NTL question

mick70
01-07-2004, 22:51
Easy one. Do NTL use Static or Dynamic IP when you are connected by cable modem.
Thanks in advance.:help:

Paul K
01-07-2004, 22:57
Mostly static but it can change if they resegment etc. Mines only changed a couple of times since I started using it and that's about 2 years or more ago

ian@huth
01-07-2004, 23:06
All NTL IPs are dynamic.

Paul K
01-07-2004, 23:18
They are dynamic but a lot of people find that their IP address will stay the same for quite some time.
I should have put " dynamic but you can keep the same IP for an extended period." I've only changed IP addresses 4 or 5 times in nearly 2 1/2 years. (that I know of anyway) Others seem to get new IP adresses quite regularly.
If you are looking to host something for instance then you should treat the IP as dynamic as ian has stated.

Earl of Bronze
02-07-2004, 00:10
All NTL IPs are dynamic.

This is correct, but it is possible to haave the same ip address for months at a time. From what I was told during the SACM training, the dynamic nature of ntl's ip's is due to the release/ renew on a 24 hour basis.

Chris W
02-07-2004, 00:14
This is correct, but it is possible to haave the same ip address for months at a time. From what I was told during the SACM training, the dynamic nature of ntl's ip's is due to the release/ renew on a 24 hour basis.

That is correct :tu: the ip will attempt to renew from half way through the lease period, and if it doesn't succeed by the end of the lease period, this is when it may change. However, the lease can still expire and not be assigned to another person. If it is not assigned to someone else, you will get the same ip address back again.

MB

Matth
02-07-2004, 13:09
Some people seem to have trouble keeping an IP address, others can't shift it if they try (you can, if you try hard enough).

Unless you are in the former category, you are likely to keep the same IP address unless a change is provoked - either by NTL resegmenting, by you changing your speed, by you changing your adapter/MAC address, by switching between Windows and Linux (optional, you can set some Linux implementations to make the same DHCP request as Windows), or by being off the network for longer than the lease time (7 days in my area).

If you use a router, some can be set to enable or disable the auto-renew... - if enabled the router will act as described, attempting to renew at 1/2 lease even if there is no local activity.

mick70
02-07-2004, 22:15
Thanks for the help guys. Be lost without you lot!