PDA

View Full Version : Alternative ISP's for a ntl phone Line

jazzy
29-06-2004, 12:09
I am looking for another dial-up anytime isp for my ntl phone line.
I have had major problems with the ntlworld service!
The only two I can find are aol and gio internet, so what else is around?

Paul
29-06-2004, 12:47
Virgin.net

scrotnig
29-06-2004, 12:48
What sort of problems have you had?

Nemesis
29-06-2004, 12:49
Why not go for 150k BB ??

Chris W
29-06-2004, 16:40
i think tesco.net is available through an ntl line as well, but not 100% sure.

jazzy
29-06-2004, 17:28
Sorry guys, virgin net and tesco are not available on a ntl line!

Matthew
06-07-2004, 07:46
What about PlusNet (www.plus.net)? I have a BT line but also one of my numbers I can dial in from in a NTL one and it works fine.

Florence
06-07-2004, 08:11
I should read the forums on ISPr before signing up for Gio you think NTL are bad members have paid for 6 to 12 months upfront for special deals and after the first day cannot connect and some have waited over 3 months to still have no refund.
I would post a link but it might be against the rules so I will just say google search ispreview.co.uk.

As for ISPs that allow NTL line officially its only AOL and Gio did say it was coming soon. All others I have checked say BT lines. If I remember right to use a cable line causes extra charges not sure if its the customer or the ISP but its a connection charge BT charge for you connecting to BTs 0808 number.

sonygeezer
06-07-2004, 22:22
Hi, You could have a look here http://www.net4nowt.co.uk

Paul
06-07-2004, 23:08
Sorry guys, virgin net and tesco are not available on a ntl line!

Sorry but you are wrong.

I use my virgin.net e-mail on a 1mb ntl BB connection.

Shaun
06-07-2004, 23:09
Sorry but you are wrong.

I use my virgin.net e-mail on a 1mb ntl BB connection.

I think Jazzy's looking for a dial-up provider :)

Stephen Robb
09-07-2004, 13:28
I have got the following browsers on my system IE, Netscape, MSN, Firefox, Opera, Yahoo and ICQ.
All of them are free and work through ntl:'s BB system and when I had dialup.
To make them all work properly make none of them the default, that way you don't get any conflicts.
I also have email addresses for all of them which all work, again not making any one the default.

Paul
09-07-2004, 14:34
I think Jazzy's looking for a dial-up provider :) Virgin.net works just as well on NTL dial-up, in fact, on any connection. :)

jazzy
09-07-2004, 21:41
Virgin.net works just as well on NTL dial-up, in fact, on any connection. :)
I think it will only work on pay as you go not the virgin 24/7 service
http://www.virgin.net/customers/helpme/faq/24seven/cli_nobtline.html

Paul
10-07-2004, 00:30
I think it will only work on pay as you go not the virgin 24/7 service
http://www.virgin.net/customers/helpme/faq/24seven/cli_nobtline.html

Yes, in the case of the 24x7 you do appear to need a BT line for it to be free calls. I was referring to the PAYG service which is the one I use for backup - and when "on the road". My mistake - I should have been clearer.

patrickp
07-08-2004, 23:35
AFAIK if you can find an ISP that uses an 0800 connection number, you should be able to use it on an ntl line. There may not be many ISPs apart from ntl and AOL offering this as a domestic package, but quite a few ISPs offer it as a business service, AIR from when I was on dialup, and some are hardly any more expensive than domestic ISP services. A business provider should be offering a better service (lower contention rate, no cut off etc) as well, which may compensate for the higher cost.

jrhnewark
08-08-2004, 14:38
Any ISP supplied by Murphx. These include dmcdial.com and wisesurfer.co.uk.

Both of their 160 hours a month services are £13.99 and are very, very reliable. The technical/customer support is also second to none.

Don't touch Virgin, AOL, or anybody else like that, there's always trouble.

Go for dmcdial.com - Was with them before NTL Broadband - dmcdial are EXCELLENT!

Maggy
08-08-2004, 15:34
A Ntl phone line will work on any pay as you go ISP provider.This is what I have as a back up from the BB.IF you want 24/7 you have as far as I know only got AOL.

I had this problem when I was waiting for my FREE dial up service from ntl for 16 months.I got shafted as one by one all the ISP's that said they provided the service withdrew it for cable phone lines.

Why not stick with AOL but not use the software(if that's your problem) just use IE to surf after you have used the AOL software to dial up.It's what I did for a while(when I was waiting for the FREE service which soon became a pay for service 2 months after I got my CD)

Incog :)

yodaferret
15-09-2004, 23:25
can anyone please help?...i have got the ntl dialup package fifteen quid a month which is supposed to be 24/7 but the fhuijhvfiyf's keep dropping the connection after about two hours..is this normal and if so can i over ride it.

Paul
15-09-2004, 23:55
can anyone please help?...i have got the ntl dialup package fifteen quid a month which is supposed to be 24/7 but the fhuijhvfiyf's keep dropping the connection after about two hours..is this normal and if so can i over ride it.I believe that the two hour timeout is normal. It certainly was when I used to use dialup.

Steve H
16-09-2004, 00:11
I believe that the two hour timeout is normal. It certainly was when I used to use dialup.

Yup, connections are usually dropped after 2 hours.