PDA

View Full Version : Is sky better?

STONEISLAND
28-06-2004, 09:50
I have to ask,

What are the benefits of NTL to SKY? I cannot help but think sky has loads more stuff eg games interactive player cam etc for about the same price. I have had NTL for about 2 months and wish I went for sky.

Is sky better? What benefits from being with NTL to sky? Does NTL do anything sky does not?

I think i will go with SKY next year.

Russ
28-06-2004, 09:59
Benefits of NTL, 3-bills-in-one (edit - only for some customers)

There might be more but as you're asking about TV I'm sure what the other benefits are, if at all. Bear in mind you're talking about NTL's interactive service which is so bad, their managing director went in to a meeting with the other UK directors with the NTL remote control and made a clear display of throwing it out of the window because the service was, in his own words, "crap".

Derek
28-06-2004, 10:24
I have to ask,
Is sky better? What benefits from being with NTL to sky? Does NTL do anything sky does not?
It depends what you want to use it for.

The picture quality is almost the exactly the same on both channels. Some people complain about Sky's picture being impaired during bad weather and you have the dish stuck to the side of the house.

As for interactive the Sky system does have an advantage in the number of channels giving interactive service but Ntl are gradually catching up. The BBC interactive stuff for Euro 2004 and Wimbledon is quite impressive (and seemingly faster than the equivalent Sky offering)

Like Russ said one of the main benefits is that everything is included in one package if you have TV, Telco, Broadband etc.

DrAwesome
28-06-2004, 13:43
Dont know whether this has been posted in another thread but i recieved my sky magazine today for next month (July) & a notification that there is going to be a price increase to my subscription this September, the usual waffle/line what they already offer (which is nothing new) to justify the increase, its just word dressing to apply the increase.

So nodoubt NTL will apply the same sort of price increase/charge for their customers at a later date.

Nugget
28-06-2004, 13:45
Dont know whether this has been posted in another thread but i recieved my sky magazine today for next month (July) & a notification that there is going to be a price increase to my subscription this September, the usual waffle/line what they already offer (which is nothing new) to justify the increase, its just word dressing to apply the increase.

I got the letter that says that, as of September, the price for the full package is going up to 41 quid - they're trying to justify it by pointing out that Sky Sports (for example) is going to have a lot more interactive stuff, such as a programme on Saturday nights that will allow you to see 50 minutes of highlights from every Premiership match played that day.

Chris
28-06-2004, 13:47
I have NTL because it's simpler with phone and TV together, because I don't want an ugly black dish on the side of my house (the damn things are actually some kind of chav status symbol in the corner of Hemel where I live :erm: ) and, if my STB is ever b0rked, NTL will replace it free of charge no matter how old it is. Fry your $ky box after 12 months and a day and it's off to Comet to buy yourself a new one.

Nugget
28-06-2004, 13:53
I have NTL because it's simpler with phone and TV together, because I don't want an ugly black dish on the side of my house (the damn things are actually some kind of chav status symbol in the corner of Hemel where I live :erm: ) and, if my STB is ever b0rked, NTL will replace it free of charge no matter how old it is. Fry your $ky box after 12 months and a day and it's off to Comet to buy yourself a new one.

Very good points - I've been lucky in my new house 'cos the dish is at the back :tu: .

The reason that I switched from NTL to Sky is because I had loads of problems with the digital telly. It's got to be said though that's it's worth getting an extended warranty on the box if you can get one - I got the Sky installed free, but paid £120 (ish) for a 4 year extended warranty (not including the 12 month guarantee from Sky) which meant that, when the box got damaged when we moved, they just provided a new one :tu:

DrAwesome
28-06-2004, 13:53
I got the letter that says that, as of September, the price for the full package is going up to 41 quid - they're trying to justify it by pointing out that Sky Sports (for example) is going to have a lot more interactive stuff, such as a programme on Saturday nights that will allow you to see 50 minutes of highlights from every Premiership match played that day.

I dont have any pay view sports channels such as sky sports i just have the movies, sky have listed the increase on the letter... pointing out that i pay my subscription 1 month in advance

August 2004 £34.81
September 2004 £35.00

I better get the abacus out for this one... 1,2,3,4,5 errr 19p increase

mdean
28-06-2004, 19:53
I have to ask,

What are the benefits of NTL to SKY? I cannot help but think sky has loads more stuff eg games interactive player cam etc for about the same price. I have had NTL for about 2 months and wish I went for sky.

I think i will go with SKY next year.

No competition. Has to be NTL every time. Even though we do now have the curse of the red button it is nowhere near as intrusive as on sky. It is intollerable on sky.

Most of the so called interactive is just *****. When did you spend 15 mins watchin one player at the footie. When I was a Sky customer watched it a couple of times and forgot about it

NTL beats sky/ bt on price - as far as Im concerned no competition

paulyoung666
28-06-2004, 19:58
sky for me , been with ntl for years and i dont find 2 bills any hassle at all , more choice on sky anyway , hang on this thread happened not so long ago didnt it :erm:

danvitale
13-07-2004, 22:54
One major thing Sky has over NTL is Sky+. It changes the way you watch TV. Its superb.

Paul
13-07-2004, 23:04
NTL & Tivo does the same thing, pity they are harder to come by now.

etccarmageddon
14-07-2004, 01:01
NTL & Tivo does the same thing, pity they are harder to come by now.

Tivo is unable to record 2 NTL channels at the same time and also doesnt record in digital. You are also unable to record a diff channel to the one you are watching.

Neil
14-07-2004, 08:46
One major thing Sky has over NTL is Sky+. It changes the way you watch TV. Its superb.

Absolutely, 100% can't argue with that. :tu:

:welcome: to the site btw. :)

mdean
27-07-2004, 19:11
What tosh

Its a rip off designed to lock you to sky.

You sit down----watch programme

same as B&W in the 1950s

DrAwesome
27-07-2004, 19:27
Sky (nodoubt NTL will follow suit) will eventully be out of reach the way they are increasing their prices i pay £34 a month (movie + basic channels no sky sports channels) a subscription thats costing £400+ a year. If there is a price increase just before xmas to come into effect in Jan/Feb 2005 i will be dropping sky for the free view channels putting £400+ a year to better use.

paulyoung666
27-07-2004, 20:43
Sky (nodoubt NTL will follow suit) will eventully be out of reach the way they are increasing their prices i pay £34 a month (movie + basic channels no sky sports channels) a subscription thats costing £400+ a year. If there is a price increase just before xmas to come into effect in Jan/Feb 2005 i will be dropping sky for the free view channels putting £400+ a year to better use.

for £1 / month less you can have sky sports and sky movies 2 4 6 8 same as me :tu: