PDA

View Full Version : What took them so long

grum1978
25-07-2003, 10:59
Finally the police seem to be taking it seriously but what took them so long...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/31953.html

Chris
25-07-2003, 11:25
Sadly the UK has a poor record when it comes to procuring computer systems for official uses like police or government departments.

Glad to see this up and running tho'.

Ramrod
25-07-2003, 12:11
Originally posted by towny
Sadly the UK has a poor record when it comes to procuring computer systems for official uses like police or government departments.

Yes, I have chatted to a few police about they're computer systems. The level of waste is astonishing. In one instance a policeman wanted another hard drive and some more ram and the dept. was quoted nearly £1000 for the upgrade, and due to the nature of the contract with the computer maintenance company they had to go with it!
I said I'd pop round and do the job for £500 on the quiet:D

ntluser
25-07-2003, 15:58
Originally posted by Ramrod
Yes, I have chatted to a few police about they're computer systems. The level of waste is astonishing. In one instance a policeman wanted another hard drive and some more ram and the dept. was quoted nearly £1000 for the upgrade, and due to the nature of the contract with the computer maintenance company they had to go with it!
I said I'd pop round and do the job for £500 on the quiet:D

We found that in Education too. The price of equipment and books to schools was always higher than what the ordinary person would pay after shopping around, mainly because it came from fixed suppliers.

So much money is wasted in Public Services. You could probably save millions by using a bit of common sense. Unfortunately, there's not of that about at managerial level, with a few notable exceptions.

danielf
25-07-2003, 16:08
Originally posted by ntluser
We found that in Education too. The price of equipment and books to schools was always higher than what the ordinary person would pay after shopping around, mainly because it came from fixed suppliers.

So much money is wasted in Public Services. You could probably save millions by using a bit of common sense. Unfortunately, there's not of that about at managerial level, with a few notable exceptions.

I think the same applies to business, it's just that people don't get so worked up about it. (I think few large companies get their hardware from ebuyer).