PDA

View Full Version : reverse dns broken

dev
22-06-2004, 20:30
stretford hosts (possibly more) no longer resolve back to the ips, who am i supposed to report it to?

Chris W
22-06-2004, 20:52
stretford hosts (possibly more) no longer resolve back to the ips, who am i supposed to report it to?

urm... what is stretford hosts? is this using ntl's dns servers or some other one? have you tried a lookup online?

dev
22-06-2004, 21:39
do an nslookup on ips between 213.106.168.* and 213.106.175.*
then do a nslookup on the hosts return and you'll see they no longer resolve back at all

the same goes for 81.104.31.* and 81.104.32.* afaik

BBKing
22-06-2004, 22:28
Good spot.

host 213.106.168.1
1.168.106.213.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer spc1-stre1-3-0-gw.manc.broadband.ntl.com

host spc1-stre1-3-0-cust12.manc.broadband.ntl.com
Host not found.

OK reverse, forward DNS is screwed though. Will drop a note to those what knows.

Probably related to the rollout of new DHCP servers in Baguley. Seacroft (Leeds) area addresses work fine, e.g. 80.0.0.1. Ditto Cosham.

Domwilko
22-06-2004, 23:17
BBKing - Looks like there may be problems elsewhere too. I've been assisting someone else on another forum and their IP address/DNS is not resolving either:

spc1-derb2-5-0-cust140.manc.broadband.ntl.com

Here is a link to the thread in the other forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10578114~mode=flat

Cheers,

neely
22-06-2004, 23:43
BBKing - Looks like there may be problems elsewhere too. I've been assisting someone else on another forum and their IP address/DNS is not resolving either:

spc1-derb2-5-0-cust140.manc.broadband.ntl.com

Here is a link to the thread in the other forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10578114~mode=flat

Cheers,
Yep, that's me who's been having the IP/DNS problem - it's been like that for about two weeks now. Thanks again, Domwilko - was just about to post when I saw this. If more info is needed, let me know.

mikemcguigan
30-06-2004, 17:54
This sounds very similar to a problem that I am having.

I use a util called Dynu Basic client, from www.dynu.com (http://www.dynu.com) , the client tool sits on my machine and has been publishing my external IP address fine for months.

Over the past few weeks I have been unable to access my machine at home via the domain link, but using the IP address works fine, have discovered that the Dynu Basic client tool is currently publishing one of three IP addresses:

These are the DNS servers for the Cosham area.

Any idea when this is going to be fixed, or even if it is being looked into?

Thanks,
Mike.

Paul
30-06-2004, 18:36
Over the past few weeks I have been unable to access my machine at home via the domain link, but using the IP address works fine, have discovered that the Dynu Basic client tool is currently publishing one of three IP addresses:

These are the DNS servers for the Cosham area.

Any idea when this is going to be fixed, or even if it is being looked into?

Thanks,
Mike.

Those appear to be the Proxy Servers for Cosham, what makes you think they are dns servers ?

I'm not sure I understand your problem, can you explain more ?

mikemcguigan
30-06-2004, 21:10
Hi there,

You are correct, these are the proxy servers for the Cosham area, just me being an arse. :dunce:

Let me try an explain some more.

I need to be able to access my home machine while not at home. This would be simple if we had static IP addresses, just use the IP address.

As we do not have static IP addresses, I use a pc based client tool (Dynu Basic Client) to enable me to access via a memorable name 'xxxxxxxxxxxx.dynu.com'. The client tool checks my external IP address and publishes it to the dynu servers. Then when I access my xxxx.dynu.com address, I get redirected to my IP address, even if it has changed very recently.

This has been working fine until recently, with the client publishing my external IP address correctly. Now I am having difficulty accessing my home machine with the xxxx.dynu.com address because the dynu client tool is publishing my external IP address as one of the Cosham proxy server addresses.

I can still access my home pc via my external IP address, but if the address changes I am obviously scuppered. :dozey:

Do you think this is the same issue?

Cheers,
Mike.

Chris W
30-06-2004, 21:29
<snip>

this seems like a problem with the software you are using picking up the proxy address instead of your ip address.

You could try reinstalling the client on the pc you need to access, or alternatively try using www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.org because both of these have worked fine for me :)

MB

Paul
30-06-2004, 21:35
From looking at the site I would guess that it updates dynu's systems via an http request and because of ntl's transparent proxy interception it is detecting the proxy server IP address instead of your real ip.

Do you have the latest client installed ?

Dynu Basic v2.6 Client is available ............... enhancements in IP detection routines to avoid ISP proxy etc.

mikemcguigan
30-06-2004, 21:51
Hi there, Thanks for the tips.

I've re-installed the Dynu client and still have the same problem.

I've just signed up with no-ip and although the 'logged in as' section displays my IP address correctly, when I try to add a host, the IP address is pre-populated with 80.3.160.6.

This appears to be displaying the same problem.:confused:

What do you think?

Paul
30-06-2004, 22:49
You are on Broadband so your IP should not actually change very often, why not just use proper dns and have a short TTL on your A record ( say 2 hours ) - then if your IP changes you just update the record and it should propogate around pretty quickly.

I have used this this method for nearly 3 years - my IP has only changed about 4 times (and one of those was a deliberate act on my part).

mikemcguigan
01-07-2004, 10:53
It seems I posted my latest repsonse before reading yours about the new client 2.6.

I am just giving this a go now. Although I am currently using their v3.24, not sure what is going on with their version numbers.

Having just downloaded the 2.6 zip and run the install, it seems to be reporting itself as 3.24 still. V Strange!

I'll keep you updated.

mikemcguigan
01-07-2004, 11:29
It seems that the 2.6 / 3.24 version is having the same problem.

It was OK initially, but when refreshing the IP published went to one of the Cosham proxys.

Sorry, but I'm not 100% sure what you are meaning by real DNS and TTL, are you referring to the Lease period?

Cheers,
Mike.

mikemcguigan
01-07-2004, 23:15
Dynu technical support have advised me to turn on an option in the client tool which tells the tool to use port 1025 instead of 80.

This seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for everyones input.

BBKing
02-07-2004, 08:57
Just re-noticed this thread - the Derby one is still screwed, so am dropping another note...

neely
02-07-2004, 09:43
Just re-noticed this thread - the Derby one is still screwed, so am dropping another note...
Thanks BBKing - I'm the Derby one that's still screwed :) . Was going to post a follow-up here today, but you've beaten me to it.

Foo Fighter
02-07-2004, 13:20
finally got back on, something was definatly broke this morning... router had no ip from ntls dhcp... then when i got a ip it kept dropping it and i could only browse via IP

stb seemed to be suffering as well, was totally unresponsive to the remove or key pad

BBKing
03-07-2004, 03:33
Shouldn't be anything to do with DNS, dropping off like that.

Is DNS fixed for Derby? I mentioned it to someone earlier...

neely
05-07-2004, 13:43
Is DNS fixed for Derby? I mentioned it to someone earlier...
BBKing - it seems to be. The end of my long DNS name has now changed from "manc.broadband.ntl.com" to "bagu.broadband.ntl.com" but, it now works. Thanks for getting that sorted.

Ignition
05-07-2004, 17:19
As part of ongoing upgrades some DHCPs are being moved around and in preperation for tier uplift some core network resegmentation (not local HFC, core network) is taking place, shiny new routers for some! :)

Chrysalis
06-07-2004, 15:43
sounds good

dev
06-07-2004, 17:09
all seems fixed but i noticed part of my host has gone back to bagu (from manc) for the billionth time :P

BBKing
06-07-2004, 19:50
Reflects a change in DHCP servers. Consolidation onto fewer, smaller, faster, cheaper, better, you get the picture.