PDA

View Full Version : Football Cheats

Mike
22-06-2004, 14:32
Football Cheats

I am not a great football fan but having †˜recentlyâà ƒÆ’¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€ žÂ¢ watched a few games I amazed at the amount of †˜cheatingâà ƒÆ’¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€ žÂ¢ that goes on. It seems that a player cannot tackle another player without one falling over claiming a free kick. Often the player goes down in total agony and when you watch the replay there was no contact. A good example was when one play went down holding his head rolling around in pain and the replay showed there was no contact to the head. Often goals are scored from free kicks that were won by cheating. Why does football not have a video referee to spot such things including off side. Often the TV instantly plays back an off side and states that was a wrong decision by the referee !!! Such play should just continue and if a goal is scored just go back to the video refree for confirmation. As with divingââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã ‚¦.if a player claims a free kick quickly check if the was bad contact and if so award it. The amount of abuse the poor referee takes is surprisingââ ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦ †¦..maybe if some of the decision making was taken and player knew they could not cheat they would get more respect and the game would flow better because people would play better and stop diving all over the place and slowing the game down that way !!!

Earl of Bronze
22-06-2004, 14:40
I couldnt agree more mate. It's one of the reasons why I watch so little footie these days. I always end up shout abuse at the cheating scumbags on the tv, and whats the point of that. If a play takes a dive, then he should be booked. Asto the abuse that players give to referees, christ you wouldnt do that in rugby. It just ends up costing 10 meters and if you get really abusive, sent off, with a visit to the Union.

How to stop all the diving cheaters in football................

Easy. Snipers in the top of the stadium, with orders the knee-cap the cheating scrotes.

Steve H
22-06-2004, 14:55
Thing is.. Yeah, there are a few people who do cheat, and intentionally dive (Italians, lol) However, People cry cheat far too much nowadays. When some of the players are running at a defence at speed.. It doesnt really take that much to knock them off their stride..

Mike
22-06-2004, 15:08
Thing is.. Yeah, there are a few people who do cheat, and intentionally dive (Italians, lol) However, People cry cheat far too much nowadays. When some of the players are running at a defence at speed.. It doesnt really take that much to knock them off their stride..

Yes agree this does happen but how many who over cook it and look to the ref rather than just getting up !

gazzae
22-06-2004, 15:13
I agree with the grief the refs get. I remember last night you could see Ashley Cole swearing at collina because he didn't agree with his decision. They should start giving yellow cards for that, the players would soon stop it then!

Not to sure on Video refs, how would it be regulated? would we be going to the video ref at every free kick?

Its tough for the refs on the diving issue, its very hard to see if there has been contact or not - as proven in the Villa - Man Utd game were Ronaldo was yellow carded for diving (which then led to him being sent off) the ref then took the yellow card away after the game when the replays showed he didn't dive.

I think that when the games are reviewed, if its clear that a player has dived then action should be taken, whether its banning the player or if a goal was gained, then taking the goal away.

Remember its not just foreign players - Mr Owen, Mr Gerrard, Mr Neville, Mr Scholes ;)

Chris
22-06-2004, 15:24
I agree with the grief the refs get. I remember last night you could see Ashley Cole swearing at collina because he didn't agree with his decision. They should start giving yellow cards for that, the players would soon stop it then!

Not to sure on Video refs, how would it be regulated? would we be going to the video ref at every free kick?

Its tough for the refs on the diving issue, its very hard to see if there has been contact or not - as proven in the Villa - Man Utd game were Ronaldo was yellow carded for diving (which then led to him being sent off) the ref then took the yellow card away after the game when the replays showed he didn't dive.

I think that when the games are reviewed, if its clear that a player has dived then action should be taken, whether its banning the player or if a goal was gained, then taking the goal away.

Remember its not just foreign players - Mr Owen, Mr Gerrard, Mr Neville, Mr Scholes ;)
That Croatian goalie was a disgrace last night, rolling around clutching himself after Michael Owen barely bumped him. He should have had a card for it.

As for the video ref - the Six Nations rugby uses it so I see no reason why football could not. The game isn't just a kick about the park any more, it is very big business indeed, and share prices ride on it. All business has to be regulated to ensure fair practice is adhered to. We might not like it, but football has chosen its bed and I think now it has to lie on it. If there was a video ref, the ref on the pitch would be able to signal when he wanted to consult the video, which would presumably only be when the ref himself is unsure and not for every bump and scrape.

Mike
22-06-2004, 15:29
If there was a video ref, the ref on the pitch would be able to signal when he wanted to consult the video, which would presumably only be when the ref himself is unsure and not for every bump and scrape.

Good example would be doult if a player was on side when a goal is scored...........Michael Owen is a good example of a player who if touched in the penalty box would go down !

gazzae
22-06-2004, 15:36
As for the video ref - the Six Nations rugby uses it so I see no reason why

They only use it for tries though do they not?

If I remember correctly in the game Ireland V Wales, Ireland scored after one minute or so had passed, the ref went to the video ref who decided on the try. The time between the try being scored and Wales kicking off again was at least 4 minutes.

If there was a video ref, the ref on the pitch would be able to signal when he wanted to consult the video, which would presumably only be when the ref himself is unsure and not for every bump and scrape.

But the reason refs give decisions when people dive is because they are sure there has been contact. They have been conned.

Now how about this for an idea, instead of video refs have two refs, each in their own half, that way they are closer to the play. They implemented this idea in the NHL.

Or even two more lines men, for two their sole job is watching for offsides, the other two are an extra pair of eyes for the ref, watching off the ball incidents etc.

Chris
22-06-2004, 15:57
They only use it for tries though do they not?

If I remember correctly in the game Ireland V Wales, Ireland scored after one minute or so had passed, the ref went to the video ref who decided on the try. The time between the try being scored and Wales kicking off again was at least 4 minutes.
Think you're right, yes. I was suggesting it as proof of concept rather than to suggest the exact model used in the 6 nations should be applied to football. And you are definitely right about that Ireland v Wales thing, I was watching that game and it was ridiculous that it was allowed to take that long. Still, the system is in its infancy and will hopefully improve.

But the reason refs give decisions when people dive is because they are sure there has been contact. They have been conned.

Now how about this for an idea, instead of video refs have two refs, each in their own half, that way they are closer to the play. They implemented this idea in the NHL.

Or even two more lines men, for two their sole job is watching for offsides, the other two are an extra pair of eyes for the ref, watching off the ball incidents etc.
I wasn't thinking about players being penalised for diving, more penalties being wrongly awarded when an attacking player takes a dive, or not being awarded when a genuine foul goes unpunished. These are result-altering decisions that, I think, have to be taken more seriously given the money that is now involved in the Club game.

As for multiple refs or linesmen - a good ref should be able to keep up with play and always be close to the action, so I'm not sure there's any need for two. And as for extra linesmen - the linesman is limited in what he can do by the very fact that he's on the touchline and away from the action. It's an ideal vantage point for judging offside decisions but very little else. A whole army of linesmen would be no more able to make a better judgement about dives/penalties/etc.

gazzae
22-06-2004, 16:04
As for multiple refs or linesmen - a good ref should be able to keep up with play and always be close to the action, so I'm not sure there's any need for two.

I don't agree, for example if one team has a corner the ref is going to be around the box area watching the activites in the box, the corner comes in and is cleared to Ronaldo who is in space. Ronaldo then sprints up field and is tackled on the opposing teams box, now are you telling me, the 30 year old man, sprinting up the field after a very quick 19 year old is going to be in a position to decide if it was a foul or not?

I wasn't thinking about players being penalised for diving, more penalties being wrongly awarded when an attacking player takes a dive, or not being awarded when a genuine foul goes unpunished. These are result-altering decisions that, I think, have to be taken more seriously given the money that is now involved in the Club game.

But my point is the same, for example the reason the was a penalty given to Arsenal at Portsmouth is because Pires dived very convincingly. From the refs angle it looked like contact was made. So in that case he wouldn't have gone to the video ref.

Or in the worst case if the refs are worried about being wrong they are going to refer every tackle in the box to the video ref.

Chris
22-06-2004, 16:21
I don't agree, for example if one team has a corner the ref is going to be around the box area watching the activites in the box, the corner comes in and is cleared to Ronaldo who is in space. Ronaldo then sprints up field and is tackled on the opposing teams box, now are you telling me, the 30 year old man, sprinting up the field after a very quick 19 year old is going to be in a position to decide if it was a foul or not?
Well if it's a problem, perhaps we need to be stricter about refs fitness levels? Or make use of a video ref? ;)

But my point is the same, for example the reason the was a penalty given to Arsenal at Portsmouth is because Pires dived very convincingly. From the refs angle it looked like contact was made. So in that case he wouldn't have gone to the video ref.

Or in the worst case if the refs are worried about being wrong they are going to refer every tackle in the box to the video ref.
You may see it as worst case, but if there really are cases where it's dificult to judge, then that strengthens the case for video evidence. the business called Arsenal Football Club undoubtedly made a financial gain as a result of that decision, seeing as it will have contributed to the season-long unbeaten record. It is not on for multi-million-pound businesses to rise or fall based on supervision techniques that have barely changed in 100 years. No other sphere of business would tolerate it.

gazzae
22-06-2004, 16:32
Well if it's a problem, perhaps we need to be stricter about refs fitness levels? Or make use of a video ref? ;)

Or a second ref in position to make a decision. If its not a foul play goes on, the problem with a video ref is play has to be stopped for him to make a decision.

Decision are made in each sphere of business every day, some are right, some are wrong.

I don't want video refs in football, stopping the game every few minutes. People complain already about refs not letting the game flow imagine what it would be like if video refs were involved.

I'm dead against it.

abailey152
22-06-2004, 19:31
I don't want video refs in football, stopping the game every few minutes. People complain already about refs not letting the game flow imagine what it would be like if video refs were involved.

I'm dead against it.
I agree. It's okay for cricket, but it would destroy football. However, I think video evidence should be used more to penalise the divers, and those that writhe around like they've been shot when they've hardly been touched. This could happen after the game, and it would quickly stamp it out of the game if players faced a ban.